“Nice enough for a night”

Quality Inn Monterey - Fremont Street
Ranked #52 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed August 31, 2006

We stayed for one night during our drive up the CA coast. It was nice enough. We paid $100 which was more than we wanted to pay. However, it was the most reasonable price we could find in August in the area. The room was plenty big and it was nice to have a table and chairs in the room. I will say that the chairs were pretty badly stained and the bed was not all that comfortable. We were pleasantly surprised to find they offered a free breakfast. It was simple (toast, muffins, cereal) but a nice surprise since we weren't expecting it. The hotel is conveniently located and is definitely worth it for those traveling on a tighter budget. We had no problems with noise as others have mentioned. Maybe we just got lucky?? I would also recommend they devote some effort to improving the customer service of the front desk staff. All in all, it was worth it for what is an expensive area for accomodations.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank ramsfan77

Reviewed August 2, 2006

If a "wetbar" means running water, and a room with room for a "rollaway" means you have to roll away the furniture already in the room for it to fit the rollaway into it, and the partial room divider means they've cut into an already only medium sized room to cram in a microwave stand and a tiny frig, and the checkin "service" means one person behind the desk with clients waiting 3 people deep to process their preregistered online reservations, then this is the place for you. Extremely overpriced, cobwebs hanging from the ceiling, chipped porcelain in the tub and a balconey that looks into trash filled backyards of the adjoining residences. The website photos do not at all represent the poor layout. Will definately not select this location and if this is what "Quality Inn" has to offer, I'll opt out. Terribly disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank kathleen1947
Reviewed June 21, 2006

Our stay was less than good.

We arrived 30 minutes before regular check in were told our room would not be ready for another hour. I found this strange as there were no cars in the parking lot. It seemed that no one else was staying there.

The constant noise of other occupants kept waking us from our sleep, especially when you could hear them say, “Shhhh. There are other people.” We were on a bottom floor and if their voices weren’t enough, the herd of elephants above us kept us awake.

We got a smoking room and we don’t. It reeked of smoke and the dresser had cigarette burns.

It looked like paint was chipped from the shower/tub and is stuck to the floor.

The hotel staff was not friendly or helpful. I would have rather shelled out more money for a better hotel.

• Stayed: June 2006
Reviewed November 4, 2005

Background:
Got a two-room 2 queen size beds room ($85 on side step) for a quick stay in Monterey. Pretty good location-- Monterey is not that big-- very easy to find from the highway (Highway 1 -> exit Casa Verde -> left on Casa Verde -> right on N Fremont)

Overall:
It is an average 2 star motel. Nothing scary-- the bed, floor, bathroom was clean. Nothing impressive either.

Goods:
1. They have HBO, which is nice.
2. You cannot beat 2 queen size 2 bedrooms at this price.
3. My biggest fear was a saggy bed. The bed was comfortable enough. But see below about the pillows:

Bads:
1. The pillow was rock hard. I got neck pains after the night sleep. Maybe could've asked the staff? I don't know.. was too tired.

2. Our curtains did not keep out all the light from the hall. I am quite sensitive to light when sleeping and woke up sporadically throughout the night. I was in the outside bedroom; I think the inside bedroom is nicer. I was in Room 117-- FYI.

I can't really complain too much-- it is a 2 star motel. Be what it may, it served its purpose reasonably well (quiet place to sleep) but nothing above and beyond that.

The continental breakfast was yuck. They had bread for toast, coffee, muffin things, cereal and milk, and bright orange Tang-looking orange juice. Redeeming factor was that they had bananas. BUT there is a nice restaurant that the front desk staff recommended called "Breakfast Club" which is north on Fremont at a place called Laguna Plaza. Very affordable and very good.

Contrary to some comments here, I found the front desk staff courteous enough. I called to let them know that I was going to check-in late and they were okay. I spoke to them the morning after to get recommendations on a breakfast place and they were good about it. No complaints there.

Again, contrary to other comments here, the towels were okay. They were the thin moderately absorbent kinds, but they were white and clean. Right outside our room, I saw that there was a laundry room that housekeeping was using.

• Stayed: November 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 23, 2005

My wife and I visited Monterey Bay in mid August 2005 and needed a place to stay for one nite. This hotel was not hard to find, and although it is not at all near downtown or Cannery Row, it was a simple 5-8 minute drive to either location.

The rooms were clean, and the owners very nice. We did not get up in time for the complimentary breakfast.

This would be considered a no frills hotel, but for the cost ($150/nite) it was exactly as we expected: a clean, comfortable, quiet and easy-to-find hotel with a place to put our heads down. If you want something more classy than a motel, you probably won't find it for this cheap.

They did have a pool with a number of people in it, but we did not indulge. Drug store and food store was close by.

• Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank Brandon K
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 20, 2004

I have never been treated so rudely in my life! When I asked nicely to speak to the supervisor, I was horrified that I WAS speaking to the supervisor.
I would never recommend staying in such an unfriendly, FRAUDULENT place.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, ON
Reviewed July 20, 2004

Our stay here was a nightmare.

While we were out, management let in other hotel guests into our unit, thinking it was empty. When we returned, we were locked out of our room.

Most of the towels provided were stained.

Rooms have very strong air freshener smell.

There is no A/C unit, needed to keep front door open for ventilation.

Hot water ran out while taking a shower.

Our stay here was part of our Vegas, LA, and San francisco trip. Stayed at Aladdin, LV hilton, Caesars at Vegas and Doubletree LAX at LA and Clarion Millbrae at San Francisco. All of them were top quality hotels and cost less than Quality Fremont at Monterey. Should have paid an extra $20 or more and stayed at a more decent place.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member