“Average stay”

Best Western Plus Victorian Inn
Ranked #7 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed June 21, 2010

My wife and I got the room on Priceline by bidding and they accepted our offer of about $70, which I wish they hadn't. Check-in went smoothly but we were somewhat unimpressed with the room, as it had no carpet and gave the impression of a drab room in a Victorian-style home. The location was great but we had a dreadful night of sleep due to some VERY LOUD people on the floor above us. Sound definitely gets magnified, as the walls seem quite thin. I also didn't understand why they don't use a tight-fitting sheet to cover the mattress like everybody does...the sheet covering the mattress was just like a loose-fitting top sheet.

I might also add that the wine and cheese reception is pretty self-explanatory, so don't think it's going to be anything fancy. When it came time for checkout, I stood there silently for something like 5 minutes while the front desk woman, Mary, checked me out. Having worked hotel front desk before, I would strongly suggest to management that they hurry up the checkout process and try to have more of a personal touch if someone is just standing there waiting.

When we got home, I found that they had charged MY card for the room instead of the Priceline card even though we'd already paid for the room through Priceline! I'm still trying to get it ironed out with the hotel and it's leaving a very bad taste in my mouth about the property.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,843)

Reviewed June 19, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for 1 night and glad it wasn't any longer. If you are looking for a no frills clean room for a night then it is fine but that is where it ends. I found the room to be depressing and even though the room was big it looked out to the next buidling of the hotel so looking out make you feel closed in. The night stand was worn on top and the window seat was ripped. Cannery row and the aquarium are a bit of a walk. I have been fortunate to have traveled many places and stayed at all types of facilities and if this room was under a $100 I would definately give it a higher ranking but personally at almost $200 after taxes with a AAA discount for an upgraded room I don't feel it was money well spent. Fortunately we only stayed one night as a stop over from Sonoma making our way down to Marina del Rey and then San Diego, and probably a little spoiled after our 4 night stay at the Lodge at Sonoma but I really don't think that the Best WEstern Victorian inn was money well spent and was disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed June 17, 2010

Drove up to Monterey last Sat. from V entura (50 miles N. of L.A.), Got the room through Hotwire. Great place w/lovely garden, clean, centrally located. Fealt lucky to get this place, I dislike big resort type places.

Ladies at the desk are VERY helpful. They can even download tickets from the Aquarium there. Here's a hint: The local hotels have a deal with the Aquarium that your tickets are good for 2 days instead of 1. That deal is only good through the hotels, so now you've heard it.

Ate breakfast and lunch at the Cannery Row Deli, about 1 block away. Clean, tasty, and reasonable. Had dinner 1 block behind the hotel at Crystal Fish Sushi. Recommended by a local, it was busy and excellent.

Talked to several people during the wine/cheese hour who were returning visitors. That ought to tell you something. They were all very happy with the Victorian.

R.P.
California

Reviewed June 16, 2010

Do not be deceived by the facade of the building. This inn is equipped with all that you probably need. The room we stayed in had a double queen. It is spacious to fit all our luggages (4 large ones and 2 small ones). I like the fact that there is a sink in the bathroom and another outside it. Though i think the bathroom could do with more lights. The TV programmes were the main highlight for both my kids and husband. They show their favourite Disney and ESPN channels. Complimentary breakfast is served every morning. Not much of a variety but enough to get you going for the day.

Victorian inn is within walking distance to all the main attractions. It was a breeze for my 6 year old when we walked to the Cannery Row and the Monterey Aquarium.

I must say their staff at the front desk are very friendly and helpful. Thank you Mary for checking us in and Juliana (hope I got your names right) for checking us out of the inn.

It has been an enjoyable stay at the inn. We will probably choose to stay with Best Western again when we visit the other states.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2010

For the cost the Victorian Inn was a bit of a disappointment. The problems although minor really detract from the overall experience... No AC, Pacific Grove can be very hot in the summer! Also, the decor is very plain, no pool, the shower plunbing was a confusing mess and the additional $12 parking fee seemed cheap. On the positive side, the staff was friendly, the grounds are nice, the evening wine and cheese was a nice touch and central location in relation to the local attractions is great. But for the cost versus value I can't really recommend the Victorian Inn. I think we'll look elsewhere on our next trip to Monterey.

Reviewed June 15, 2010

The hotel isn't anything that exciting the victorian house out front but the rooms are in a 1980's apartment set up. the thing that sets this place apart is julia. She goes above and beyond to make sure you are happy and even save some money. We wanted to go out for dinner and asked her advice, after she asked about our tastes (girlfreind won't touch fish) she made a suggestion called made reservation for us and told us to ask for the special deal (bargain priced tasting menu) since she had called ahead they gave it to us. (dinner for the two of us would have easily been $150usd) instead we had the tasting menu from when the place opened and at that price which was less than our drinks and she did this for all the couples during the wine and cheese thing in the evening

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2010

We were in a first floor room and who ever was above us was a very early riser and sounded like he or she was stomping when they walked or the floor is thin. The TV was from the stone age and so were the beds, For that kind if money I expected alot more.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family