2,035 results
All reviews wine and cheese cannery row great location foam street within walking distance gas fireplace wine reception crackers parking fee two sinks every afternoon two blocks best westerns the monterey bay aquarium small balcony nice breakfast aquarium tickets
Selected filters
Reviewed October 27, 2006

We stayed 3 nights at the Victorian to explore Monterey and attend the races at Laguna Seca (mid-October '06). Overall, we were very happy with it. The staff was friendly and the premises clean. Our room had a fireplace in it (although we never used it). This was an anniversary for us, and the staff had a small bottle of wine and chocolates waiting when we checked in. It is a two-block walk to Cannery Row and the aquarium. Our room was set back from Foam street, and was quiet.

No room service, but very good food from a caterer associated with the hotel.

Still, no hotel is perfect.

The bed was uncomfortable. $12 a night for parking seems a little steep. The front desk gave me the wrong access code for wireless, and I ended up calling tech support. Even with that, the network was slow and tended to make us re-enter the access code at odd times.

The comforter on the bed didn't look dirty, but gave us the feeling that it had seen many visitors before.

I will stay there again the next time we are in Monterey.

Date of stay: October 2006
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank CFIT
Reviewed September 3, 2006

The night my family and stayed here was the Sunday of Labor day weekend, so it was quite a busy travel day and that might explain why the room was $250 for two doublebeds plus $12 parking. The place is in a good location, near the Cannery, but the rooms are in need of some remodeling and the mattresses were on the lumpy side.
The real problem was in the morning when I went to take the first shower before my kids and wife woke up. The tub had not been drained and was full of dirty water and hair. I did not call the front desk right away, and maybe I should have. But I had already disrobed and did not want a maid coming to the room to wake them so I cleaned it myself. The shower also did not work as it should have. It has two heads and only one worked.
I went to the front desk and informed them I was unhappy with the cleanliness of my room for the $250 I paid. the lady at the desk, Kathleen, was very confrontational and rude to me. She informed me that all the rooms are inspected by the head maid and so I must be wrong. She then told me sometimes the pipes back up after the rooms have been cleaned and maybe that is what had happened. I found that hard to believe, how can hair back up thru the drain, fill the tub and then plug itself? Essentially she was calling me a liar. Unfortunately there was no manager on duty, I would hopehe would have handled this in a more courteous and professional manner.
Overall, the motel is ok for its location. But for the price its pretty disapointing. Chances are the nearby Motel 6 would have likely had clean rooms and a more professional staff for far less than half the price.

Date of stay: September 2006
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
7  Thank riverfamily
Reviewed August 29, 2006

we arrived late one friday night in august without a reservation and due to the local fiesta taking place were very fortunate to get the last room for my family (2 adults & 2 children). the room was clean and extremely spacious and the free breakfast very nice. the location is also excellent for a visit to cannery row. not cheap but worth it ! parking is also free which is a rarity in CA.

Date of stay: August 2006
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank DayTrip802666
Reviewed August 18, 2006

This hotel was GREAT. The gentleman at the front desk when we checked in was so nice. Actually, everyone we encountered as staff at the hotel was nice. Our room was on the second floor, away from the elevator, just as I requested. The rooms are very large, have high ceilings, balconies and a fireplace (gas). The beds are also very comfortable. I was surprised with how quiet the area was also. Another plus was the continental breakfast. It consisted of bagels, breads, fresh fruit, juice, milk, cereal, and coffee. Just enough to get your day started. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to friends and family. The hotel is walking distance from the Aquarium and Cannery Row, it was perfect.

7  Thank Kristine72
Reviewed August 16, 2006

BETTER RATES ON THEIR OWN WEBSITE THAN CALLING THE HOTEL!
We booked a Concierge Room because we were in for a week-long stay and wanted the featherbed. It was definitely worth the extra $!! The featherbed and feather pillows were the only major difference we could tell between all the rooms (we were a group of 4 couples, all with different rooms) The third floor rooms were MUCH quieter than the first floor rooms. We had room 309, one of the very few rooms with a very small ocean view. 306 had a small view as well. But our friends in room 302 could only see another rooftop of the Inn!!

The exposed ceiling beams were more like they didn't want to finish it than they were trying to provide atmosphere...there were actually long roofing repair nails sticking out through our ceiling... and the beams are a sickly yellowy-white color which does not match the decor or the feel of the rest of the room. Weird.
Fireplace was nice enough I guess, but we didn't use it.

I understand that the hotels in the Cannery Row area are not the most updated or reasonably priced. If this is true (it sure looked like only the super-expensive Plaza was truly well-maintained), then this is a very good choice.

The decor and amenities were VERY dated, but again, for this area, typical. Bathroom had a heat light. Hairdryer and coffeemaker are provided. Cannot use both at same time due to circuitry (there are little signs about this in each room) Clean and decent, but not immaculate. The shampoo, conditioner and lotion they provide smell GREAT! I wish I had had the maids do up the room more often during our stay so we could get more of these! GREAT location...far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the Row but close enough to walk to it all easily.

Be sure to ask for a FAN...they have plenty and they are nice and clean. You will want it because there is NO A/C...the rooms get hot from the sun all day even with the drapes closed, and damp from the showers and lack of bathroom exhaust fan. SO in the afternoon/evening, the fan was a lifesaver...we just put it in front of the sliding door for instant coolness. No matter how long you keep the sliding door open, the cool air will not actually come IN without the fan.
(WHAT IS IT about hotels NOT having bathroom vent fans???)
~~~~~~~~
The breakfast was fine for being free, but by the end of the week we were eating breakfast out because we could not stand one more toasted bagel with cream cheese & o.j. & fruit. ((Be sure to visit First Awakenings for breakfast! We found out it about late in our journey! It's directly on the other side of the aquarium))
Breakfast can get VERY crowded...go early OR once you get it, take it out to the patio courtyard tables.

The afternoon wine & cheese reception was a nice touch. The wine was good for free wine, and the cheese was generic orange bell cheese. But that free afternoon snack was a nice way to reconvene for our group of friends. Again, take to the patio courtyard and bring a windbreaker or sweater.

We all came in two Outback wagons and a Mini Cooper, and had no problems at all navigating the parking garage or its entry ramp.
Desk staff very nice and very helpful.
Our only MAJOR PET PEEVE was that everything (even the room keys!) indicates that the hotel is a smoke-free establishment, but some rude people apparently think it is ok to smoke on the balconies. Since you MUST keep your door open in order to cool off the room in the evening, that means their smoke is being directly pumped right into the other rooms. GGGRRR!!!

Date of stay: August 2006