“Best Place Ever”

Ranked #6 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
sacramento
“Best Place Ever”
Reviewed April 10, 2010

This is the best place I have ever stayed at in my life. There service was excellent, Julianne was so kind to us, she got us a reservation at a great restaurant, and sent some wine up to us for our anniverary. This place offers the comfort of a Bed and Breakfast, yet the prices are so reasonable. Not only do they offer breakfast in the morning, but they also offer wine, crackers, and grapes in the lobby later in the day. Our room was clean,quite and spacious, with a fireplace and whirlpool tub.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kittercakes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Hebrew first
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed April 10, 2010

My family and I recently stayed at the Best Western Victorian Inn. For the money spent it was a very good deal. The rooms were clean, the location great (walking distance to aquarium). They serve an adequate continental breakfast. the beds were cozy, rooms clean.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank djkentuckyham
Sierra Nevada Foothills, CA
Reviewed April 10, 2010

if the room had a microwave in place of the coffee pot, it'd be perfect!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mcc567
So Cal
Reviewed April 9, 2010

- Wine & Cheese reception in afternoon was very nice.
- Bay window room was spacious.
- Fireplace in room was luxurious.
- Jacuzzi-tub in bathroom was relaxing & romantic.
- Toiletries were sub-standard (bring your own from home).
- Offered "business center" was a computer in an cabinet in the reception area - no chair or comforts.
- Aquarium tickets were offered "for sale at front desk" but when we asked about them, we were told to order them ourselves online at the "business center".
- Parking at this hotel is an additional $12 per day. Other hotels we looked at either charged $17 or $19 per day.
- Hotel provided window cleaning supplies in the garage which was very helpful and appreciated before the journey back home.
- The Aquarium doesn't offer AAA discount but told us we could go to the AAA office. We asked where that was in town and they told us that they didn't know. They ended up giving us the AAA discount (as a "coupon") anyway.
- The Aquarium was AWESOME!
- On the deck outside the Aquarium, we were able to watch a bunch of sea otter eating and floating on their backs. One had a young otter cub on its tummy!
- From this deck location, we didn't see any whale, but we saw one spout, which was exciting on its own merit.
- ENJOY the clam chowder at "Louie Linguini's" - it's the best my husband says. The seasonings are tasty and flavorful.
- SKIP the deep fried cheesecake at the "Grotto" on Fisherman's Wharf - it wasn't worth the walk!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mrlpSoCal
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed April 4, 2010

Although I travel routinely for my job, and depend heavily on TripAdvisor (and other) reviews when making arrangements in different cities, I have n-e-v-e-r actually written a review .... until now. I have stayed at the Best Western Victorian Inn numerous times in the last couple of years, and I can honestly say I have never had a bad experience there; and in fact have always felt that I was being Spoiled Absolutely Rotten! The staff is absolutely phenomenal -- from the management & reservations staff, to the kitchen staff, the maids and maintenance staff!! What adds to the voracity of this comment is that, as I observed many interactions with other guests, I never got the impression that the staff was doing anything more for me than they would be willing to do for anyone else!

The management and desk staff are particularly awesome! Somehow they manage to go out of their way for their guests while still remaining productive and efficient. When they say they want you to feel at home, they actually "walk the talk" by treating you as if you really are part of their lodging family. I had major car trouble during one visit that required me to stay an extra night (at the last minute). Juliana worked it out, found external resources for me, and made me feel like I was "covered" instead of "stranded" while away from home. On my next visit several months later, she not only asked about my car, but remembered the details! I've had the same sorts of repeated experiences with Sharleen when we've talked about work and other topics. In addition, both Michelle and the young man who works the evening shift are personable and efficient; and no matter what you ask them, they are smiling, capable and helpful. I could go on and on here, but you get the idea.... and I haven't even told you about the rooms yet!

Although I obviously have not stayed in every single room, the rooms seem to have a consistency of quality that is second to none. All are comfortably and nicely appointed with eloquent decor, fireplaces, private balconies, full cable TV, video players (plus red box movie kiosks in the hallways), etc. Some even have beamed ceilings and jacuzzi tubs -- all are clean, impeccably maintained, safe, and very inviting. There is also complimentary wine and cheese in the evening, complimentary breakfast in the moring, free internet anytime, wonderful outdoor gardens, seating, & landscaping, and noon checkouts. They also make the time (& I assume, recordkeeping efforts) to acknowledge returning guests - as I have often found a personalized welcome note, etc in my room upon my arrival. Last but not least, the hotel is a stone's throw from Cannery Row, and within easy walking distance to all the major attractions and activities. All-in-all, a delightful place to stay!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Mini_Road_Warrior_mr
Folsom, CA
Reviewed April 2, 2010

Hotel is located close enough to walk to all the major attractions in Monterey. We stayed on the second floor facing the street. The room was clean and comfortable, but the street traffic was a bit loud. We would stay again, but maybe in a room in the back of the hotel off the street.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Denver
Reviewed April 2, 2010

Very nice rooms, very nice location! Part of what sets this hotel apart though, is the people. Great staff! Always helpfull and welcoming.

Julianna, in particular! My day always brightens when she is on duty!

It has been a pleasure!