We liked the location, very easy to walk to Cannery Row and a little further to the Fishermans Wharf. It was also easier to find since I could just follow the signs to Cannery Row off the freeway.
The room was nice, we got one on the second floor next to the street. Yes there was slight street noise (small one way street) but we got vaulted ceilings with no one above us and we were able to get to our room via stairs instead of needing our card key twice to get to the rooms on the backside (the lobby has a locked entrance unless you use the elevator). The room was clean and had nice additions like iron and snacks (for an added charge of course). The hotel is nice in most respects and I would stay there again mainly due to how nice it was and its location.
Breakfast was better than most I have seen. Cerial, loafs of banana nut bread and others, juice, fruit, bagels... Missed the wine reception so I cannot comment.
Staff were pleasent and helpful. Tickets to the Aquarium can be purchased here for full 1 day price you get a 2 day pass and dont have to wait in line which saves time and you can walk to the aquarium from here so save money parking too.
Now for the negatives all of which are minor but still annoying:
Parking is underground and the ramp is steep. I have a stock 04 Nissan Altima and we scraped the bottom of our car everytime we entered and exited. I hit fairly hard one time after filling with gas near the end of our stay. Higher profile vehicles were ok but cars can scrape pretty easy. There were quite a few scrape marks on the pavement so I'm not the only one.
The rooms only have VHS movie players. So unless you bring some from home, no in room movies. They have a rental machine but its $8 per movie. What a rip!
Parking is $12 a day extra. I believe this should be included in the room rate not hidden until its too late.
Room rate seemed on the high side $189 a night, but it was the cheapest nice hotel I could find 1 month before our stay, might need to look earlier for a better deal. Monterey in the summer is just expensive I guess.
Overall a positive experience, would stay there again but I might be more willing to spring for a B&B for about $60 more a night next time. This hotel saves money due to location but there are others in the same location. There was a Holiday Inn Express right across the street that looked nice too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the tranquility of a seaside vacation when you stay at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Victorian Inn. Bike along scenic coastal shores, kayak in the bay, sample some of the world's best wines, go whale watching, or picnic and fly kites on sun drenched beaches. Explore the Monterey Bay Aquarium and the unique shops and restaurants along Cannery Row, all within walking distance of our intimate hotel. Rest in accommodations with in-room marble fireplaces, and private patios, balconies or window seats where you can soak up ocean breezes. Our charming Central Coast property offers oversized guestrooms and suites perfect for couples, families and other groups, with full-sized living rooms, and sleeper sofas. All guests enjoy a complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and evening wine and cheese reception featuring award-winning wines, daily. Soak up the serenity of the sea and explore the best of California's Central Coast when you plan your next escape, from wine tastings, to bike rentals, pet pampering and beach side weekend getaways. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Best Western, Expedia, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western Plus Victorian Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Victorian Hotel Monterey
- Best Western Victorian Hotel
- Best Western Monterey
- Monterey Best Western