“Great location, nice ammenities, some street noise, and parking woes.”

Best Western Plus Victorian Inn
Ranked #7 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
San Diego, California
“Great location, nice ammenities, some street noise, and parking woes.”
Reviewed August 13, 2006

We liked the location, very easy to walk to Cannery Row and a little further to the Fishermans Wharf. It was also easier to find since I could just follow the signs to Cannery Row off the freeway.

The room was nice, we got one on the second floor next to the street. Yes there was slight street noise (small one way street) but we got vaulted ceilings with no one above us and we were able to get to our room via stairs instead of needing our card key twice to get to the rooms on the backside (the lobby has a locked entrance unless you use the elevator). The room was clean and had nice additions like iron and snacks (for an added charge of course). The hotel is nice in most respects and I would stay there again mainly due to how nice it was and its location.

Breakfast was better than most I have seen. Cerial, loafs of banana nut bread and others, juice, fruit, bagels... Missed the wine reception so I cannot comment.

Staff were pleasent and helpful. Tickets to the Aquarium can be purchased here for full 1 day price you get a 2 day pass and dont have to wait in line which saves time and you can walk to the aquarium from here so save money parking too.

Now for the negatives all of which are minor but still annoying:

Parking is underground and the ramp is steep. I have a stock 04 Nissan Altima and we scraped the bottom of our car everytime we entered and exited. I hit fairly hard one time after filling with gas near the end of our stay. Higher profile vehicles were ok but cars can scrape pretty easy. There were quite a few scrape marks on the pavement so I'm not the only one.

The rooms only have VHS movie players. So unless you bring some from home, no in room movies. They have a rental machine but its $8 per movie. What a rip!

Parking is $12 a day extra. I believe this should be included in the room rate not hidden until its too late.

Room rate seemed on the high side $189 a night, but it was the cheapest nice hotel I could find 1 month before our stay, might need to look earlier for a better deal. Monterey in the summer is just expensive I guess.

Overall a positive experience, would stay there again but I might be more willing to spring for a B&B for about $60 more a night next time. This hotel saves money due to location but there are others in the same location. There was a Holiday Inn Express right across the street that looked nice too.

• Liked — Location, overall quality level of hotel.
  • Disliked — Parking cost and ramp.
  • Tips/Secrets — Get aquarium tickets here and there is one parking space behind the office if you hate the ramp.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank dgp41482

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Hebrew first
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 12, 2006

We arrived late on a Sunday and were greeted by a friendly gentleman, though he seemed very busy. Our room was warm and smelled a little musty. We opened the window (there is no a/c) and that helped a little. But, the curtains covered up half of the opened window and the room faced the courtyard so that the wonderful 60 degree weather didn't flow in well. We could also hear the traffic on the street and our neighbors as they entered and left their rooms.

Our bathroom did not have an exhaust fan so with every shower we took, the air became damp and warm again. Some of the corners of the bathroom floor near the shower/bath needed a good scrubbing, but it wasn't an "icky" situation (probably had a lot to do with the damp air). We did like the second sink outside of the bathroom that allowed two people to get ready at the same time.

The breakfast (complimentary) was served in a small area off the reception room. It had four tables with four chairs, plus other seating scattered about. It seemed very small for the amount of people who came through for breakfast. The food itself was basic continental. We like the cereal selections, the fruit, and the breads and muffins. Nothing fancy, but filling.

The afternoon wine and cheese reception (also complimentary) was a nice touch.

The best part about this hotel was the location. It was an easy walk to the Aquarium (which is great, by the way) and to the surrounding areas.

Overall, we'd give the hotel a 3 1/2 stars. It's more than average, but not quite above average. We've heard that the rooms on the 3rd floor facing west are the best. If we stay again, we'd splurge and get one of those rooms so we could enjoy the cool breezes.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
6 Thank PAPark
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 21, 2006

If you haven't stayed in the Monterey area before, the first thing to remember is that any hotel within a 10 minute walk of the Aquarium is $50-$100 more than an equivalent property elsewhere. That said, don't be fooled by the Best Western name. The rooms are nicer than virtually any other Best Western I've stayed at, and I've been to plenty. We've stayed at pretty much every hotel in the Cannery Row area, and we think this oen is the best value, You'll have to stay elsewhere, though, if you want room service or a concierge.

• Stayed May 2006
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed April 30, 2006

We have gone down to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium from the Bay Area twice in the past 6 months and stayed here both times. We love this motel. Its location is great - 1 block to Cannery Row and 3 blocks to the Aquarium. It is quiet, the rooms are good size and extra clean and the beds are comfortable. We loved the Gas Fireplace as the fog came rolling in in the evenings. We stayed there with 2 children under three years old. Their expanded Continental breakfast was great. Good selection and one adult can go down and load up a tray with food and bring it back to the room. Overall a great value and a really comfortable place to stay.

15 Thank TravilinMom
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 30, 2005

I am a total fan of Best Western Hotels and decided to give this place a try when we recently stayed in Monterey. This hotel, although a bit on the pricey side (which is expected since Monterey is a vacation destination), was very close to Cannery Row and the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The staff is great. For instance, Patrick, the Assistant Manager, was very efficient and accomodating to the guests. The rooms are also nice and clean. One great feature was the coffee and tea maker (Mr. Coffee brand); this allowed me to brew the perfect cup of coffee in my own room!! There is also a refrigerator in the room, which was great for keeping grocery items cold. There is a complimentary continental breakfast offered from 7-10 AM and a cocktail hour from 4-6 PM. The assortment of items was phenomenal! One of the best I have seen in a hotel of this kind. There are also complimentary newspapers (NY Times and USA Today) for those who like to read-up on the news each morning. For the internet addicts, there is complimentary wireless access in the rooms, which was nice for those guests who wanted to read news online or to check email, etc. Parking does cost $12 per day; but this rate is competitive relative to what other places are charging. Overall, this is a great hotel for families or couples vacationing at the Monterey Peninsula. I highly recommend it!!

Stayed December 2005
9 Thank Island_Traveler_SF
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 1, 2005

Of course, it is a little bit on the expensive side for a family of 4 but it worth it!!!
The room was really spacious, a little old but everything you need. The breakfast simple - cereals, juices, toasts, cakes and bagels, coffee, tea/
When you have a toddler and a baby you want life to be as easy as possible while on vacations ... THE hotel has the perfect location- few blocks from Cannery Row and the Monterey Aquarium, and a Longs Drugs one block away- great for the forgotten baby jars !!!-
My favorite thing was their complimentary Wine and Cheese tasting between 4pm and 6 pm- the girls took their naps in their strollers after a long day at the aquarium and my husband and I, in front of the fire, felt like dating again!!! What a treat !!!
We also have been told that this hotel is super pet-friendly.
We definetely will be back!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed November 25, 2005

I have visited Monterey for an annual event over the past 20+ years. I often stayed at the Victorian Inn until about 10 years ago when they started getting expensive. As others have said, a little more money can buy much more upscale accomodations, or a lot less money delivers a similar room at the many other national chain hotels in the city.

This year I found a room at the Victorian Inn on the Best Western website. The cost was reasonable compared to other hotels' inflated "special event" rates for the weekend. My stay at the Victorian was pleasant and uneventful. The hotel is convenient, clean, and exactly as others describe.

Then my problems began! I asked about a room for 2006. They put me on a "priority waitlist" and said they would contact me. When they called about a month later they explained their policies for the event weekend:

- Four night minimum.
- Fixed cost of $350 per night. (Some of the 4 nights were listed online at a much lower single-night rate).
- Full amount charged to credit card on 9/1/05.

I booked two rooms and received a confirmation letter. It carefully restated the policies with an additional one:

- The reservation charged to the credit card is non-refundable, non-changeable, and non-transferrable after 9/1.

Since the event is in July 2006, I decided I couldn't commit almost 8 months in advance. Nor did I want to float a $3500 loan (5 nights, 2 rooms)to the hotel. I cancelled both rooms well before the 9/1 deadline. Everything seemed fine until I received my credit card statement. There were two, $25 charges from the Victorian. I called and they explained it was their cancellation fee. When I commented this was never stated verbally or in their confirmation letter, the agent said it was standard policy with all hotels! Of course, anyone reading this knows that's ludicrous. After putting me on hold for a few minutes to "speak to the manager" she refused to do anything about it. When I asked to speak to the manager, she claimed it was the manager's day off and she had called him at home. I asked when he would be in and she said in a few weeks, he was on vacation! (yeah, right).

I called Best Western's customer relations department. They took all the facts and after a few weeks, I received a refund check for $50. The cover letter apologized and said the Victorian refused to respond to their inquiry. Five thumbs up to Best Western, and 5 thumbs down to the Victorian Inn who believes lying to customers is OK. Don't reward unethical businesses- stay at one of the other Best Westerns on the Monterey Peninsula.

• Stayed July 2005