“We Really Enjoyed The Victorian Inn”

Best Western Plus Victorian Inn
Ranked #6 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed May 9, 2009

We stayed three nights and visited all the nearby attractions with ease. We actually used the BIKE PATH as a main artery to get around. It's one street down from the Victorian, towards Cannery Row, and was an outstanding way to navigate to the Aquarium, shopping, or all the way to the Fisherman's Wharf area and shopping & restaurants in that direction too. We walked the bike path to check out Dennis the Menace Park also. Anyway, the Victorian Inn was wonderful. Not that HUGE intimidating giant hotel feeling - just a very nice atmosphere. We also made darn sure we were there every afternoon for wine and cheese between 4 - 6 p.m. It was our favorite thing about coming back to the hotel after a busy day; plus the award winning Ventana Chardonnay is outstanding in our opinion. We used the fireplace too when it was a little chilly one evening. Otherwise, we sat outside in the courtyard "patio" as a relaxing end to our day. We're not "world travelers" but the two of us really enjoyed our stay. The staff especially gets a Five Star rating for helpfulness. We would definitely return. We met people there that had been coming back again for years.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 2tweetie

Reviewed April 14, 2009

2nd time staying here with our dogs. Very quiet, close to Cannery Row and shops, restaurants. Great afternoon wine and cheese and a very delicious breakfast. Love the hardwood floors, so much cleaner than carpet!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2009

My husband wanted to play golf at Pebble Beach for his birthday so we traveled to Monterey area. I found Best Western Victorian Inn on bringfido.com/dogfriendly.com. This was our first trip with our two 100 lb. golden retrievers and we were not sure what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised by the staff and accomodations at the Best Western Victorian Inn. Our room was very nice - hardwood floors, fireplace, balcony. Their continental breakfast and afternoon wine & cheese social were great. Best of all was the ability to bring our dogs everywhere (except near food) at the facility. After a day at the beach we came back to our room to find a bowl of dog food and bottled water waiting for us. It is special touches like that, that really made our stay special.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2009

I recently planned a run away night for my husband and I and selected the BW Victorian Inn since we had stayed there when we first started dating 7 years ago. Sadly, it was obvious that the Inn has not been brought up to date. Although the King Suite was roomy the bathroom had not changed one bit. The double shower heads in the corner jacuzzi tub were not adjustable at all so you had to figure out where to stand to soap up. The tile grout was dirty and the bathroom simply lacked any style. With a name like Victorian Inn you would expect some type of style. Even though the ceiling in the main room was beamed the black cobwebs just took away from the look. Last but not least they still have VHS players in the room not DVD's. That was a shock since upgrading to DVD players would not be a huge expense.

The breakfast although okay could have been much better. I also have to agree with a prior review that I was SHOCKED to find I was charged to park at the Inn when I just rented a room. Really, that is unacceptable as far as I am concerned.

Honestly, I would recommend staying at one of the many B&B in the area verses this Inn. You generally get a great breakfast, nicely decorated rooms, and no parking fees.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KCroop
IOM_8, General Manager at Best Western Plus Victorian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2009

We appreciate our guest’s comments concerning their room experience. Feedback is always welcome and considered to be of significant value to our business. I would like to address the issue of the parking fee. We provide parking for our guests in an underground garage with security cameras and a security patrol. It has been the general philosophy of the Victorian Inn to only charge for services that the guests’ utilize. Therefore, the parking fee is separated from the room rate so those guests without vehicles are not charged.
Victorian Inn

Reviewed January 30, 2009

Best Westerns can be hit-or-miss, and I think I've been spoiled by some of the better ones.

First, the upside: The room was large and the bed and pillows decently comfortable. Parking was convenient (in a lot under the hotel--$12) and the hotel is very close to the aquarium. Also, the front office and lobby area are nice.

However, the courtyard area (between the rooms and the main office) smelled terrible, and there were socks strewn around it both when we checked in and out the next day. The carpet and bathroom may have been "worn" rather than dirty, but I wouldn't feel comfortable walking on the floors without shoes. All in all, it's not a hotel I'd want to linger in.

Like I said, my expectations were higher than they probably should have been due to other Best Westerns.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rcmann
Reviewed December 7, 2008

This was an ok hotel, the main reason I choose it was because it is Pet friendly.
The room was clean, though the balcony "garden" had been used as an ash tray. ( more like a weed garden)
The look of the hotel was upscale, trouble is it's furnished with furniture from Wal-mart.
When someone in the upstairs room took a shower, it sounded like the floor was falling in. Other things about the hotel were noisy too; wouldn't want to be there if it was full.
Oh yes they charge you to park, that is ridiculous!
The breakfast was good, I loved the fresh fruit.
The wine and cheese bar between 4:00 and 6:00 was very pleasant, and enjoyed by quite a few people.
The staff was super friendly, and very helpful.
I don't think I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MeEdwards
IOM_8, Manager at Best Western Plus Victorian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2009

We appreciate our guest’s comments concerning their room experience. Feedback is always welcome and considered to be of significant value to our business. I am sorry that we failed to meet their expectations in the areas noted by the guest. I assure the readers that the comments have been shared with the staff in an effort to improve and provide the level of service our guests expect at the Victorian Inn.

Victorian Inn

Reviewed November 22, 2008

Beware of the $12 parking charge!! I have never stayed at any hotel that charged me extra to park there! It is an average place but we chose it because we needed a place that would accommodate a pet dog. I wouldnt stay there otherwise.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)