“Loved it!”

Ranked #7 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved it!”
Reviewed August 22, 2004

This was the best place we stayed during our vacation. There is no AC, and having the patio doors open did allow alot of street noise in. It is quite cool in Monterey so AC really is not needed. The room was huge and had a balcony we weren't expecting. The complentary wine and cheese hour was also very nice, serving local red and white wines. The breakfast was much better than I was expecting. The location is excellent! Very short walk to all the major things in Monterey. Do not be expecting a bed and breakfast type Inn, rather it is just a well disguised Best Western. I definetely recommend staying here. Monterey was a very relaxing place to spend a couple of days.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Hebrew first
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed August 15, 2004

Positives: Good location, the fireplace was nice, the wine and cheese reception was great and the breakfast was OK. I liked the vaulted ceiling in the 3rd floor room. I agree with other reviewers that the price differential between the regular rooms and the "concierge" rooms isn't really warranted, although it certainly seems to be worth something to be on the top floor since we were not bothered at all by noise. Negatives: We couldn't get the wireless internet connection to work, and all they could tell us was that it must be our card (despite the fact we had it working fine at another hotel the night before)--they didn't have any bridges. Also, the lack of air conditioning was a big problem for my husband. It was quite chilly outside, but there is not a lot of ventilation in the room (only the door to the balcony) so it stayed quite stuffy. On the plus side, I called down and asked for a fan and got one, then later asked for an extension cord and although they thought I was nuts, they brought one up. (We didn't have an outlet anywhere near the door to get the cool air moving) Once we got the fan going, it was tolerable but my husband was still fairly disgruntled about the humidity in the room. Again, when we stepped out on the balcony we needed long sleeves and I put on a jacket--but it wasn't like that at all in the room! They really should have ceiling fans or something. Overall it was an OK experience, but we were glad we were just there for one night. It was the low point of our 4-hotel trip to California, but still not horrible at all! I think our other hotels at the same price range were just a lot better so it was a bit of a let-down.

1 Thank moose19
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviewed August 1, 2004

Everything was great from the wine reception, continental breakfast, fireplace in the room, jacuzzi bathtub, featherbed, etc. I had a great stay!! I was on the 3rd floor and it was very quiet. I would definitely stay there again!

los angeles
Reviewed July 13, 2004

The Victorian was a Best Western with Character in a wonderful location not far from Cannery Row!
Our Room had two double beds which were very good and a balcony to boot. The decor is slightly victorian country and our room had a charming fireplace!
We enjoyed the evening wine and cheese reception and the mornings breakfast was lovely with a generous selection of goodies.
I would definetly recommend to friends
note: I booked early and through the BW website and got a excellent rate.
Only thing that needed was a larger spa...

1 Thank mdevol
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 25, 2004

We spent a Sunday night in June at this hotel. It was quiet. It was within walking distance of Cannery Row. The wine and cheese in the afternoon was wonderful and they did NOT run out. The "parlor" was a great place to meet people during the afternoon. It was cold that night and the fireplace in the room was a wonderful addition. The beds were very comfortable!! There is a parking fee of $12.00. I would definately go back and stay there and would recommend it to my friends.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2smalldogs
Reviewed May 17, 2004

You can't beat the location to the Aquarium, and it's a quiet spot as well. BUT...the place is showing it's age, getting dirty and run down, the "hot tub" is in a closet in the cement "garden", and for almost $200 a night on the "concierge level" you get a down comforter, that's it. Wine and cheese ran out the first 1/2 hour. We won't stay again, but it wasn't the worst experience either.

Redwood City, CA
Reviewed May 7, 2004

I chose this hotel in April 2004 for a weekend getaway. because of the location and the inroom fireplace. I read the reviews on Tripadvisor with trepidation--especially those complaining about the noise. I was put in a 2nd floor room facing the courtyard, near the walkway and elevator, and I found it totally quiet, even with the sliding door cracked all night. The fireplace added a great ambiance to the room, and the quality was what I have come to expect at a Best Western: consistent & convenient with unexpected amenities for the price (like breakfast & wine/cheese reception). Complaints: there was no cheese left at the reception; hottub was not very hot and jets did not go on; $12 parking fee is not for a full 24 hours.

• Stayed April 2004