“extra costs”

Ranked #7 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
California
“extra costs”
Reviewed November 22, 2008

Beware of the $12 parking charge!! I have never stayed at any hotel that charged me extra to park there! It is an average place but we chose it because we needed a place that would accommodate a pet dog. I wouldnt stay there otherwise.

• Disliked — hidden costs
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Hebrew first
UK
Reviewed September 18, 2008

We enjoyed our stay in Monterey and, on the whole, also liked the Victorian Inn. The hotel is much bigger than it looks from the front and goes a long way back from the street. the rooms mainly surround a courtyard at the back. The owners have done their best to make this really pretty, with some excellent flower bed. But there is something a bit prison-like about the view of the rooms from the courtyard (mainly the doors, I think). Once inside however, our room was spacious and clean and we were quite happy with it. There was a large TV, a drinks & snacks cabinet and a coffee machine (sorry, but this coffee was bad!) The reception staff were lovely and very helpful. We actually enjoyed the free breakfast (except the same bad coffee), although the hotel was busy and it was a bit difficult to find a table. The free cheese and wine from 4pm to 6pm was a very nice touch. Parking in the underground garage was $12 a night, which I thought was a bit much, although we preferred to get the car off the road. The location was ideal - the aquarium, Cannery Row and lots of restaurants all within 5 minutes walk. Not sure that we would stay there again, but we didn't have any problems and certainly enjoyed our stay.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The coffee
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed September 8, 2008

We stayed here for one night after driving up from LA, and before driving to Reno. The Hotel is well placed just two streets back from the Monterey front. Free parking is available for guests, and the aquarium and other visitor attractions are no more than 10 mins walk away, though it's up hill on the way back to the hotel from the town.

We found the hotel to be very well run. The room was great, lots of space, with a huge high ceiling. The hotel staff have given alot of thought to guests, the room had a fireplace, a CD player, TV. Even CD's were provided in the room that had been inspired by Monterey which was a great touch. The only thing missing from the room was air-con, but in fact it was not needed as the room was a very pleasant temperature.

• Liked — All the little things and the location
  • Disliked — No air con
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Gold River, CA
Reviewed August 6, 2008

We booked this through Priceline for one night (Sunday, July 27) a week or so before arriving. I emailed ahead and told them I'd like a room with double beds and an upper floor (of three floors.) When we arrived, the front desk manager was very friendly and gave us a room with doubles, but couldn't get one off the ground floor. The room is clean but somewhat older. There is free wifi, which is nice and something I expect. Although the hotel accepts pets, I did not encounter any pet smells. And, aside from an occassional chorus of seagulls, the hotel is quiet.

The location is great for the Aquarium and shopping. It's still a drive to downtown or the wharf. There is a bike trail cutting through town one block away which is great for running and walking, so don't forget your workout shoes. The free breakfast is a nice touch. There are bagels, toast, cereal, fruit, hard boiled eggs, juice and coffee which saves you some money. There is also a managers wine reception in the evening, which is good for a glass or two of inexpensive local wine. (Hey, I won't look down my nose at free wine.) The parlor for the wine reception and breakfast could use a few more tables and chairs.

Overall, very friendly staff, clean hotel, met my expectations for a 2.5 star hotel. I would not be happy with paying the rack rate as the Priceline price was still over $100.00, which is high based on my experience over the years with Priceline. (Monterey is always tough to get a decent price on Priceline. But, it was much better than the exorbitant prices Embassey Suites and the other 3 star hotels were asking for one night...close to $300.!)

• Liked — Walking distance to Aquarium and shopping. Free wifi.
  • Disliked — Parking is $12.00.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Mikeandcris
Birmingham -Alabama
Reviewed August 1, 2008

My wife and I stayted at this property from April 29 - May 4, 2007; and I would recommend it. The advantages are as follows: 1) location - it is a 3 -4 block walk to the Aquarium and Cannery Row. It is close enough to be convenient, but not bothersome. It is also a short walking distance to historic Monterey district and short driving distance to Carmel and Big Sur. My wife used the rental car daily, and she felt comfortable in navigating the streets of Monterey. I also suggest a side trip to 18 Mile Drive and Pacific Grove. We flew into the San Jose Airport (versus the Monterey Airport), rented a car, and drove to Monterey. The price difference was well worth the necessity of driving. 2) excellent front desk staff - friendly and helpful. 3) price - I was able to book this property using the Federal Government/military rate of $111.00 per night + 10.5% local taxes. 4) neighborhood was safe - both in early morning and late evening. The disadvantages are as follows: 1) this is an older property - I suspect that it was originally a B&B, and has been re-flagged as a Best Western property.

• Liked — location - Aquarium - other towns
  • Disliked — older property
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
Pismo Beach, California
Reviewed July 13, 2008

I have traveled to Monterey many times throughout my life.

Especially once I became a Scuba Diver.

Monterey is a wonderful place to get away from the Bay Area and in fact, on this trip we fell in love with the area again.

We got married there July 07 and keep going back. We are now seriously thinking of relocating there, it is that lovely.

I have stayed at this so called Victorian Inn once before.

Indeed the facade is true, they have an old Victorian there that houses the front desk, a tiny kitchen and breakfast area.

You get a free breakfast and wine and cheese.

But what they have done is attached a nice Best Western to the old Victorian house.

You park underground and hall your luggage in one of two tiny elevators. They have large wheeled carts to facilitate this, but if you have dive gear it is a real hassle and it is easier to just carry your gear up the stairs.

The gardens are quite lovely, with Japanese Maples, Ferns and Rhodedendrons.

Each room has a gas fireplace and coffee maker, fridge stuffed with usual hotel overpriced water, soda and candy.

(bring your own)

But this place is not what it used to be.

It seems that maintenance is not being done to keep the rooms up to what it was like.

We checked in, hauled all of our stuff to the room.

The front desk staff are wonderful.

When we got to our room and un packed my wife heard a noise coming from the BR.

We looked at the tub and the drain started to fill the tub with someone elses soapy, dirty water...yechh.

We called the front desk and were advised that maintenance would check it out.

Two minutes later they called and gave us a new room and offered assistance in moving which we declined.

Our other room was clean, smelled old, the bed was old as were the bed linens.

One of the shower knobs was frozen shut. We just did not want any more hassles and stayed.

When I stayed there a few years ago the rooms and bed were nicer. Again, though clean it was not worth 200 dollars per night.

I made coffee the next morning and it was clear brown fluid and did not taste like coffee.

We then went to our free breakfast.

Think Costco, bagels, fruit, cardboard boxes of cereal and some truly horrible, watered down coffee.

We were so unimpressed we never ate there again, preferring to walk 2 blocks for a nice breakfast.

The rooms are quite noisy, and we could not sleep well as we heard every thing in the room above us. Like a cheap apartment.

We were asked online for feedback and told them about the plumbing issues, bad food, poor maintenance and decline of this overpriced motel.

We also complimented them on the front desk and the effort the gardeners put forth.

Obviously we told them, we would not want to return to this so called Inn...nor would we recommend it.

In all fairness, they responded with an apology and a 150 $ credit for the next year for this place and other Inns of Monterey.

So they do listen and the next time we travel to Monterey we will try another of their Inns.

(It sounds like they have an association of Inns, but this place was not up to snuff, the other Inns in the area this group runs are awesome)

In closing, we would not recommend this place, nor the Otter Hotel down the street.

The area has other, less expensive lodging that we shall use next time.

Too bad they let this place go down, Foam Street is a perfect location as you can walk to anything you need, be it a drugstore, good food and walking down Cannery Row.

Please visit Monterey, Carmel or Pacific Grove, it is wonderful but sadly, this so called Inn, we shall not return to.

• Liked — The front desk and the owners Ethos
  • Disliked — my review says it all
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz
Reviewed June 22, 2008

I'll try and keep this review as succinct as possible. =)

PROS:
- Excellent front desk staff (friendly, courteous, prompt, and polite).
- Excellent housekeeping staff (respectful, courteous, and responsive).
- Excellent location (A short walk to Cannery Row but far enough away to where it doesn't become a bother).
- Excellent view (a majority of the rooms can catch a glimpse of the ocean -- nothing spectacular but peaceful).
- Clean rooms (clean bathrooms too!)
- In room fireplaces (with appropriate lighting materials already there).
- Balconies/patios on all rooms.
- Comfortable beds (extra pillows already available).
- Safe/quiet neighborhood

NEUTRAL:
- Decent breakfast (Assortment of cereals, breads, fruits, and juices). I was expecting a little more for the money but oh well.
- Wireless internet is available but requires a daily call to the front desk for access. I understand why management decided to implement this system but it's a little cumbersome.
- Hallways are hot and stuffy.
- Pricey amenities (VHS rentals... honor bar... etc)
- 30 minute local phone calls free (not a big deal but why not just make all local calls free?)
- Curt maintenance staff.
- Entrance to parking sub-structure can scrap undercarriage of cars with low ground clearance.
- Extended basic cable stations (missing MTV2, ESPN2, etc)

CONS:
- Some entrance doors didn't work with our keys.
- Elevators smelled strange (possible pet urine?)
- No air conditioners in rooms (granted these probably wouldn't be that necessary in monterey but on the day we visited -- mid june it was unbearably hot)
- Sporadic TV issues (Volume control was finicky).
- Extra 12 dollar parking charge (why is this a separate charge?)

SUMMARY:

All n' all, my wife and I had a great time here but the price we paid didn't quite measure up to what we got. I may be cheap, but if I had a choice, I would have paid 100 - 120 / night for this place... not 200+.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thecgmguy