Booked this hotel stay for 3 nights over New Year's. Online reservations were a breeze, and the hotel is easy to find and incredibly convenient for sightseeing and touring in the Cannery Row/Aquarium neighborhood. Parking underground is a nice touch as opposed to on-street parking, but we found $13 per day a little steep. Also - we noted that the garage is not secured, which means neither are the elevators up to the guest room areas. Hmmmm.......
We had a king bed room on the 3rd floor. Room was spacious and there were some nice amenities, such as the fireplace and balcony. The 42" screen TV over the fireplace would have been outstanding, but some channels had poor/snowy reception.
The free internet was adequate for basic browsing. However, if you wish to stream any videos, there is a premium option ($3.99/day) with a supposedly faster connection. This connection was not fast enough for smooth streaming of videos, and we never could get Netflix to connect at all. We know the problem was on the hotel's end, because we called Netflix when we could not stream, and their response was "Sometimes hotels route their signal outside the country, thus blocking the Netflix connection." No idea if this is the case with this hotel, but it was a persistent problem.
Also, when trying to upgrade to the faster plan, there were navigation problems. Eventually we just gave up.
Decor is okay. I know the hotel is undergoing upgrades (read it in manager's responses here). Bathrooms have outdated tile and counters. Pillows on bed were nice, but linens could also use some upgrading. Maybe a down comforter? Also, electrical outlets need reworking - they are inconveniently placed throughout the room. The hotel did provide a power strip upon request.
They should advertise their free breakfast as a "full" breakfast and not as "continental" - they have hot items such as eggs and sausage. A very nice surprise. When we went looking for a vending machine, however, we were told that there were none in the hotel. The locations of several convenience stores were made available, along with a suggestion to use the in-room snacks.
Even though it sounds like we are complaining a lot, we did enjoy our stay overall and would probably stay here again, if the above problems were corrected.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the tranquility of a seaside vacation when you stay at the BEST WESTERN PLUS Victorian Inn. Bike along scenic coastal shores, kayak in the bay, sample some of the world's best wines, go whale watching, or picnic and fly kites on sun drenched beaches. Explore the Monterey Bay Aquarium and the unique shops and restaurants along Cannery Row, all within walking distance of our intimate hotel. Rest in accommodations with in-room marble fireplaces, and private patios, balconies or window seats where you can soak up ocean breezes. Our charming Central Coast property offers oversized guestrooms and suites perfect for couples, families and other groups, with full-sized living rooms, and sleeper sofas. All guests enjoy a complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and evening wine and cheese reception featuring award-winning wines, daily. Soak up the serenity of the sea and explore the best of California's Central Coast when you plan your next escape, from wine tastings, to bike rentals, pet pampering and beach side weekend getaways. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Best Western, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western Plus Victorian Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Victorian Hotel Monterey
- Best Western Victorian Hotel
- Best Western Monterey
- Monterey Best Western