5,921 results
All reviews schooners restaurant cannery row ocean view beautiful hotel bell desk sea otters valet parking turn down service fire pit valet service resort fee sound of the waves pebble beach mile drive big sur san francisco fisherman's wharf
Reviewed February 27, 2007

The Monterey Plaza is a first class example of a good North American hotel. Everything works well - large spacious rooms, a buzzing banqueting and meeting scene and good food and beverage operations. The Schooners cafe-bar is lively if a bit dated - nice food. The Duck Club we tried for breakfast which was imaginative and well served - why are American breakfasts so much more fun than European? The hotel is well situated on Cannery row overlooking the Bay. We were tipped not to book a sea view room as the sea lions can be noisy in the morning but we saw no evidence of this.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank housered
Reviewed January 4, 2007

First, a caveat: thanks to an Inernet deal, we spent two nights in an Ocean View King room w/balcony for $149 a night, including free breakfast. If it had cost more, this might have only been a 4 star review, but, we had a 5 star experience, so I'm sticking with it! :-)

First the room. We were on a corner, so our view was somewhat obscured in one direction (Room 2321, if you're keeping score). But, the view that we had was specacular. The room was big, and the bed was incredibly comfortable. Breakfast was far better than what I expect at a big hotel.

The staff was great, from the valet parking people on through the front desk clerk, all the way to the breakfast staff. I don't think I've ever been made to feel this welcome in a hotel of this size. We bought our Aquarium tickets at the front desk, so we were able to avoid the lines.

The only thing that bummed me out was not having a self-park option, but, given the deal we got, I'm not going to complain about $18.

The hotel is perfectly situated for Cannery Row and the Aquarium. I'd taken a "day off from driving" pledge, so our dining options within walking distance were somewhat limited, but we did fine.

BTW, the deal we got was only available through the hotel's homepage, so I'd make sure you look there before booking anyplace else.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
9  Thank David G
Reviewed January 3, 2007

Unbelievable
This Hotel was one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. I highly recommend it to anyone who is visiting Monterey. It was everything they said it would be and more.
The staff was excellent and friendly..
Do not stay anywhere else if you go to Monterey
My family and I stayed during the Christmas holidays. We left feeling that this was the best present well could have given each other.
Thank you again for making our stay perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Howard Family
MASSACHUSETTS

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank NancyHoward
Reviewed December 23, 2006

We stayed for two wonderful nights and (with early check in and late checkout, it felt like three super days.

PLUS
Attentive, patient, kind staff (just one example, free private rides to restaurants in a town car with baby seat provided and very safe, friendly driver)

Nightly turn-down service (including emptying garbage, fresh towels, etc) that was TIMED for the only MOMENT we stepped out of the room.

Sparkling clean EVERYWHERE--restaurants, spa, jacuzzi, room, tub, windows, floors, lobby etc etc.

Decent food in the free breakfast (wasn't even part of our package, but the front desk worker just gave us the tickets because she felt generous).

Crisp sheets, new towels, comfy robes, windows that open, flat screen telly, cd player, great views quick parking, late check-out, etc etc.

All this . . . for less than 1/2 the rack rate.

Thank you so much to the housecleaners especially--they deserve large tips from every guest!

MINUS
Need to pay for valet parking--no alternative.
This is TINY!!!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank lunachan
Reviewed December 19, 2006

Just got back from a relaxing, enjoyable 3 night stay at the MontereyPlaza Hotel. The winter is a good time to get a better price, no crowds and easy parking everywhere we went. It was an adequate room with a beautiful view. Would have liked a microwave and also a fireplace in the room but all in all, we will return.

4  Thank 1Clayton