“The only way to stay literally over the water of Monterey Bay in luxury and style”

Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2010

We left the Hyatt Monterey after one night and moved to the Monterey Plaza. What a GREAT decision. Our room looked out and were literally over the bay. We listened to the waves crashing against the rocks under our room all night, which was very soothing. The rooms were spacious, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was large. The service and attention was unmatched. The valet parking attendants were prompt and friendly and were even honest enough to decline a tip if someone else in my party had already tipped them.

The Duck Grill offered a great view for breakfast and dinner. The food itself was delicous with a good variety of offerings.

When we go back to Carmel/Monterey, there is NO question that we will stay at the Monterey Bay Hotel and Spa again!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank jaxcolondoc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,357)
  • Korean first
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,773 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2010

This was our second stay at this property, we booked through our American Express Rewards and used our points for our stay here. One of the perks of doing this is that if there is an oceanview room available, they will give you a complimentary upgrade. We were checked into the Cannery Row rooms initially and when an oceanview room became available, we were moved to those, it was wonderful! We had an oceanview room with a balcony and the kids were also moved to a full oceanview room.

We enjoyed time at the rooftop spa here which is heavenly, beautiful views of the ocean and there is an outdoor fireplace. We used the spa after check in, after dinner at the Sardine Factory and the next morning after our breakfast at The Duck Club which was excellent. This is the finest hotel in Monterey, in my opinion and the customer service at this hotel is outstanding.

We used the hotel town car for dinner at The Sardine Factory, they were beautiful cars, 2010 Mercedes. I would like to give a special kudos to Dillon, who was our driver and also our bell boy during our stay. We will return again and again to this amazing luxury hotel in Cannery Row. I miss it already! :)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank syrahgirl
Pacifica
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

I can't figure out why this hotel is rated so highly among Monterey hotels, I was disappointed with everything except the location. Apparently the ocean view rooms are amazing, but the majority of the rooms are scattered across 3 different buildings of which I'd guess 75% are 'inland views'. That was funny. I recommend NOT booking an 'inland view'.

My inland view was a fence. Three of my co-workers' inland view was an alleyway. 4 other peers had inland views of the street, and 2 others an inland view of the parking lot. I didn't poll the other 15 in my group, I assume their response would be the same.

The 'inland view' room itself was disappointing and not very well appointed compared to other comparatively priced hotels I've stayed in at other locations, such as St. Helena, Sonoma, and Napa. Small (and I do mean small) bathroom with tiny bathtub. No patio. No balcony. (No VIEW). Old windows that crank open. No fireplace. Basically.... a clean generic room definitely not worth the price I was paying for a 5 night stay.

The hotel is poorly organized, with room numbers that don't match floor numbers, a myriad of confusing walkways over several buildings, several elevators, and around a few 'skywalks' with the spa being nearly impossible to locate and ridiculously far away - at least from my room in building #3.

Just not impressed with this hotel. I arrived here for business for 3 days and opted to stay on through the weekend so my boyfriend could meet up with me and we could have a romantic getaway. Nothing charming or distinct about the room or hotel, aside from a nice lobby which I consider par for the course. I guess if you have an ocean view room it's a great stay, but when I tried to move my room to accommodate for my 'romantic getaway' idea the front desk told me nothing was available in ocean view. I was stuck with the fence.

Book wisely, don't get sucked into the pretty homepage website picture. If you have the $$ for the ocean view, I guess book it. If there is no view of the water available (in the main building), my suggestion would be to skip this hotel altogether and find a nice B&B.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank starryskeyes99
John_V_Narigi, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 24, 2010
I was disappointed to hear this guest was not satisfied with the view from their guestroom and the layout of the hotel.

It appears that this guest was here on business and associated with a group. Often our groups will reserve our least expensive rooms in order to keep company costs to a minimum and this must have been the case, since most of the other guests mentioned where in inland view rooms as well.

Our inland view rooms will range in size from 350-450 square feet and are considered large by industry standards. Although the bathrooms are average in size, they do offer a separate vanity area which most of our guests find more convenient than a large bathroom. The guestroom décor has classic Biedermeier-style furniture. All rooms have mini bars, three phones, both hardwired and wireless internet access, iPod docking stations with flat screen televisions. Our beds include custom made mattresses, feather tops and 400 sheet thread count. Additionally, we recently installed air conditioning in all 290 guestrooms. Most of our inland view rooms have sliding glass doors leading to their balconies.

The Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa is a Forbes Four-Star, AAA Four Diamond Hotel, one of only 160 hotels in North America and Canada and the only one located in Monterey.

Our property is in fact very large, encompassing three different buildings on 4 acres of land with 1,000 feet of ocean front property. Of the 290 guestrooms, a little less than half (140) are ocean view. The room numbering system may seem confusing, but if explained properly, it is quite simple. For example, if you are in room #3230, your room is in building 3 on the 2nd floor, room #30.

We strive to anticipate what our guest’s needs are at the time of booking to ensure they are in a location that will meet their expectations. Our ocean view rooms are very popular and do sell out rather rapidly, so we suggest booking them in advance. As this reviewer noted, they wished to change rooms after their arrival and unfortunately we did not have one to offer.

It is unfortunate that we were unable to anticipate the needs of this particular guest prior to their arrival. It seems that a room located in our main building or closer to the Spa would have made a more positive impact. I do appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to clarify the hotel’s layout, guestroom size and amenities.

John V. Narigi
Vice President and General Manager
Atlanta Ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

Great Hotel. Every staff member customer service oriented and friendly ! Super location on the bay and between downtown and Cannery row. I'll be back.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank BrownBear12
San Jose, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2010

Our daughter's wedding was at the Monterey Plaza Hotel. The ceremony site is gorgeous, on the plaza with the Monterey Bay on two sides - complete with sailboats, sea lions and sea otters! The reception was indoors, with a view of the water along one entire wall. Perfect. The staff was incredibly attentive, from the front desk staff to the valet parking staff, the waiters to the bell captain - all top tier! The food is delicious too! A beautiful hotel made even better by great employees.

• Stayed May 2010
2 Thank momk2
Bethel Park, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2010

Each time I have visited the Monterey Plaza Hotel, I am amazed at the courteous and exquisite service we get despite being just "regular" folks visiting such an eloquent hotel. I guarantee that the experience you will have at the Plaza can not be compared to any other hotel in the bay area. The location is superb, and they have added a car service since my last visit that will take you places of interest nearby that may be too far for you to walk. Unfortunately I did not eat at their restaurants (I was traveling with a tired and cranky 6 yr old this time), but I plan to the next time I am there.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Greenwood, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2010

My wife and I truly enojoyed our stay. The hotel was wonderful, the scenery was breath-taking and the restaurants in where top notch. We will definitely recommend the hotel to our friends and family.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business