“A Great Hotel with a few fixable problems”

Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 5, 2006

The letter that follows was written by me to the General Manager of the hotel:

Today we returned from a mostly very pleasant two night stay at your hotel. We were celebrating my mother’s 75th birthday. For Friday and Saturday night we occupied the Grand Bay Suite and three ocean view rooms. We found the staff and accommodations to be excellent, except for the following:
Two of our ocean view rooms turned out to be for the “physically challenge”. My sister, called the front desk and changed her room to a regular room with a bathtub, my wife and I decided not to bother. I feel that we should have been informed of this while at the front desk, checking in. No big deal, but somewhat bothersome.
The Grand Bay Suite, was very nice, but for the price we found it amazing that the suite did not have a small ice maker, and worse, the penthouse level seemed to be the only floor without an ice machine.
A far more irksome problem was that we could not hook up our children’s video game systems, a portable DVD player which we had brought with us, or our video cameras into any of the televisions in any of the rooms, even-though there were input jacks on the front of all the rooms television. The front desk said nothing could be done do to the On Demand system on all televisions. We decided we could live with this, but when we attempted to select movies for us to watch yesterday evening, all four movies that we tried to buy were “sold out”. The front desk suggested to keep trying. We gave up after thirty minutes or so. Your hotel gave us no options. Speaking of televisions, I think it’s time, at least in the suites to upgrade to plasma.
It seemed to all of us that a hotel of this stature and cost, I estimate we spent close to $7500 in two days, including rooms, room service and the hotel restaurants.
This letter is not meant to trash the hotel in any way, we had a great stay. But perhaps these suggestions would be helpful to future guests. Thank you for your time.

• Stayed: March 2006
11  Thank miniwalt
Write a ReviewReviews (5,257)

A TripAdvisor Member
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed February 27, 2006

We spent 3 nights, two in a room with a balcony and then had to move to a room with no balcony. Everything except the room service was good. Breakfast was served cold twice. The spa was not the best massage's we have had but not terrible. I do not think we would return.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 11, 2006

Great location first of all. Also, the Schooners house salad is excellent with great service. Went there 2-10-6 on a sunny 72 degrees. A perfect day.I mention this as when we checked into our room it was 78 on their thermostat. A tad warm. But a fan was provided & the night cooled the room off quickly. I wouldn't want to be their in the summer! No a/c in these rooms. We opted for the "Garden view" on the 3400 block. This is more like the Bike path view. If you plan to stay in the room be ready for a substanital amount of noise from the bike path & road noise about 50yds past that. Their definition of garden view is a narrow strip approximately 15ft wide with a few stick roses.Taking a shower for the ladies is inconvienient as they don't have a removable shower head. It's obvious many of the hotels weren't designed by women:) Also, the water is stinky. A slight smell to it that make you not want to drink it. Maybe they do this on puprose to make you buy their $6 bottle of Fiji water. Bed was excellent as well as the overall room. Otherwise a great hotel!

7  Thank MAZDAFANS
Reviewed January 22, 2006

I loved this hotel

There is no better hotel in Monterey in my opinion. It was an excellent location, right on the water( the diniing room is practically in the water). Staff were superb, the food in both the bar and the restaurant was first class, breakfast was plentiful and very very tasty.

Our room was on the Cannery row side and even although we were above where the bins were located it was not particularly noisy. I found the room to be spotless, the bathroom luxurious and the balcony was an added bonus.

Cannery Row is wonderful, right on the doorstep, and Fishermans wharf is a 5 minute walk along a lovely boardwalk where you can sealion spot en route.

Monterey itself - I wasnt keen on the internal main town section as too commercial - however the pretty streets coming off Cannery Row, fishermans wharf and 17 mile drive to Pebble beach were all stunning.

Would also highly recommend the whale watching trips, we were incredibly lucky and watched 2 humpback whales breaching for over 30 minutes as they followed our boat.

What can I say Monterey is lovely and the Plaza is superb. I am a travel consultant based in the Uk and we were on a 23 day trip - this was the best hotel we stayed in !

• Stayed: May 2005
11  Thank dd11
Reviewed December 18, 2005

Wow, what a gorgeous hotel - this place is amazing. We arrived in Monterey, travelling from Santa Barbara and i had read up in one of my travel books about The Monterey Plaza. We decided to see what the rates were like and were very impressed with what they had to offer. They found us a partial ocean view room in the main building at around $189 a night (although this is alot more expensive in the summer months). The room was gorgeous, huge, extremely clean, beautifully decorated and even at full price would be definitely worth it.
The turndown service is great, fresh flowers on the bed and just lovely.
The location is fantastic, about a 5 minute walk to the Aquarium and great restaurants, although if staying at the hotel (or even if not), go and eat at the Duck Club, superb food, excellent service and price not that bad. I guess it's easy for me to say that as i come from the UK and prices are alot higher!
I would so stay at this hotel again and will recommend it to friends and family.
I include a photo of the restrooms downstairs, just because they were so beautiful!
Zoe

• Stayed: December 2005
12  Thank ZoeHenderson
Reviewed December 11, 2005

Family of 4 visiting Monterey for an extended weekend. We always wanted to stay at the Monterey Plaza but couldn't afford to do so until now. We have stayed at other hotels and B&Bs in the Monterey Peninsula, and this was, for the most part, our best stay.

Our assigned room was particularly large with 2 very comfortable Queens. Bathroom and room amenities were very clean and of good quality. Although our room overlooked the street leading to Cannery Row and the Aquarium, it was not noisy and we had a partial view of the Bay from our large windows.

The hotel overlooks the waterfront and is in an excellent location for biking and exploring Monterey. We had breakfast in the restaurant, and the food was fine, if a bit expensive for what you got, but the views overlooking the ocean more than made up for it.

It was also fun to go tidepooling underneath the piers that support the hotel and being able to stroll out to the waters edge looking at the sea life that clung to the tidepools. It was too cold to swim and there is no pool that my children could use at the hotel (adults only and connected to the hotel spa).

Would highly recommend and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2005
9  Thank JasminedogLosAngeles
Reviewed November 15, 2005

If you have high expectations, you may want to go somewhere else. I made reservations for my husband's 60th birthday and booked 2 rooms, one Cannery Row for family and an Ocean View room for the two of us. While the location is fantastic, convenient to everything, and the rooms beautifully furnished, don't expect to get much in the way of service. If I had paid about $300 less for my room, I would have been fine with my stay. At $470 per night and a PLAZA PREFERRED MEMBER, my room was not ready at 4:00, the check in time. Unfortunately, I had to call the front desk for the status of my room 3 times, each time being promised a callback and not receiving one. I finally decided to meet the person who was checking on my room in the hallway. I expressed my dissatisfaction for the wait and the repeated phone calls and as a supervisor, he said he would make an adjustment. The rate was adjusted to $400 per night instead. We were to have a champagne bucket in our room along with glasses which arrived after we returned from dinner, after we had already drank our champagne. The shuttle service to the airport was half an hour late in picking up a family member. Our breakfast on Sunday morning was cold when it arrived, and although we called at 5:40 to have our car on Saturday, when we got downstairs at 6:00, our car was not there. It was not until 6:15 that the car arrived at the front of the hotel. For the money, one would expect better service. I paid 5 star rates and got 2 star service. It was very disappointing. If you want a nice romantic room for about the same price, check out the Spindrift Inn, down the street. They have a free wine and cheese hour, free breakfast in bed, and a cozy fireplace. They also have ocean view rooms. To top things off, I completed the survey card at the hotel and responded to the survey the hotel sent to my email,
expecting a response from someone. No one ever got in touch with me and it has been a month now. I guess expecting a response from someone at the hotel was asking too much! My stay was October 14-16, 2005 and today is November 16, 2005.

• Stayed: October 2005