“We Enjoyed Our Visit”

Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 11, 2005

Family of 4 visiting Monterey for an extended weekend. We always wanted to stay at the Monterey Plaza but couldn't afford to do so until now. We have stayed at other hotels and B&Bs in the Monterey Peninsula, and this was, for the most part, our best stay.

Our assigned room was particularly large with 2 very comfortable Queens. Bathroom and room amenities were very clean and of good quality. Although our room overlooked the street leading to Cannery Row and the Aquarium, it was not noisy and we had a partial view of the Bay from our large windows.

The hotel overlooks the waterfront and is in an excellent location for biking and exploring Monterey. We had breakfast in the restaurant, and the food was fine, if a bit expensive for what you got, but the views overlooking the ocean more than made up for it.

It was also fun to go tidepooling underneath the piers that support the hotel and being able to stroll out to the waters edge looking at the sea life that clung to the tidepools. It was too cold to swim and there is no pool that my children could use at the hotel (adults only and connected to the hotel spa).

Would highly recommend and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2005
9  Thank JasminedogLosAngeles

Reviewed November 15, 2005

If you have high expectations, you may want to go somewhere else. I made reservations for my husband's 60th birthday and booked 2 rooms, one Cannery Row for family and an Ocean View room for the two of us. While the location is fantastic, convenient to everything, and the rooms beautifully furnished, don't expect to get much in the way of service. If I had paid about $300 less for my room, I would have been fine with my stay. At $470 per night and a PLAZA PREFERRED MEMBER, my room was not ready at 4:00, the check in time. Unfortunately, I had to call the front desk for the status of my room 3 times, each time being promised a callback and not receiving one. I finally decided to meet the person who was checking on my room in the hallway. I expressed my dissatisfaction for the wait and the repeated phone calls and as a supervisor, he said he would make an adjustment. The rate was adjusted to $400 per night instead. We were to have a champagne bucket in our room along with glasses which arrived after we returned from dinner, after we had already drank our champagne. The shuttle service to the airport was half an hour late in picking up a family member. Our breakfast on Sunday morning was cold when it arrived, and although we called at 5:40 to have our car on Saturday, when we got downstairs at 6:00, our car was not there. It was not until 6:15 that the car arrived at the front of the hotel. For the money, one would expect better service. I paid 5 star rates and got 2 star service. It was very disappointing. If you want a nice romantic room for about the same price, check out the Spindrift Inn, down the street. They have a free wine and cheese hour, free breakfast in bed, and a cozy fireplace. They also have ocean view rooms. To top things off, I completed the survey card at the hotel and responded to the survey the hotel sent to my email,
expecting a response from someone. No one ever got in touch with me and it has been a month now. I guess expecting a response from someone at the hotel was asking too much! My stay was October 14-16, 2005 and today is November 16, 2005.

18  Thank LoLoMesa
Reviewed November 12, 2005

We spent a night at the Monterey Plaza Inn on their 'Breakfast By The Bay' package and we plan to do it again! We arrived just after check-in time like everyone else. Valet parking looked chaotic, but despite having two lines of cars to park, the valets did a commendable job! One of the hotel managers even came out to offer help, but they had everything under control. Checking in took just minutes! We had one of the "Cannery Row" rooms. Usually, we would have kept the patio doors open because we enjoy the cool crisp Monterey air, but we couldn't, given the noise level from the Cannery Row traffic. It was incredibly noisy whenever a truck or motorcycle drove by. But if you keep the patio doors closed, it's OK. Our room was spacious and beautifully decorated. Love the Gilchrist & Soames bath products and fluffy bath robes. In the morning, we used our vouchers for breakfast in the Duck Club Grill. What a great deal! We couldn't decide which was more enjoyable: the taste of our breakfast or the breathtaking view of Monterey Bay! In the afternoon, we decided to do some shopping in Carmel. The concierge was very helpful, providing us with a map and recommendations for lunch. Our biggest regret was not having the time to partake in the spa and whirlpools. The hotel is walking distance to the aquarium in one direction and Fishermen's Wharf in the other. The shops and restaurants along Cannery Row so close! Overall, our experience was excellent. Next time, we'll remember to pay a little more to get one of the quieter ocean view rooms.

• Stayed: November 2005
11  Thank lim288
Reviewed October 25, 2005

We stayed in an ocean view room with a great view of the bay, otters playing & eating, seals & waves. The only problem we had was we like to sleep with our windows open & even with the nice sound of the crashing waves, the fog horn sounds every 30 seconds all day/night & those seals are a bit on the loud side too! Finally had to close the sliding doors & turn on the fan to drown out all the noise so we could go to sleep.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
7  Thank Beeper92171
Reviewed October 18, 2005

Stayed 1 night in October with my wife on their special spa package which gave us an ocean view room with a 50 minute massage thrown in for $300. Well worth a stay as hotel is set right on the water. However, the reception and parking staff are not up to standard for a hotel of this quality with a unfriendly and carefree attitude. This was in stark contrast to the staff in the Spa and in particular the Duck Grill restuarant who were very nice. the restuarant has excellent views and he food is great. Overall highly recommended.

3  Thank akssms
Reviewed October 12, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Monterey Plaza Hotel during the first week of October. We requested a king suite with a balcony and were placed in a room which had a view of a rotted out building. We requested to be moved (and were) but still cannot understand why this room was given to us when the hotel was not near full. Why not give us the nicer view in the first place?I am not crazy about the 'honor bar' system, although I know it is common in large hotels. I think at these room prices, at least provide a few bottles of spring water with the turn down service. We visited the Duck Cafe restaurant which was wonderful with beautiful views and excellent service and food! We also visited Schooner Cafe which was nice but nothing special. We settled our bill when we left, however, although I did not use the honor bar or phone, I found a charge on my credit card that I will have to research -this annoys me to have to call and find out what it is. I will say that it looked like the best hotel in the area but don't expect first class.

6  Thank Gypsy1
A TripAdvisor Member
San Jose, CA
Reviewed October 8, 2005

My girlfriends and I decided to do a weekend getaway, and stayed at this hotel. A bit pricey, but well worth it. We arrived about 9:30 a.m., and we're unable to get a room until 4:00 p.m. We left our luggage with the bell-hop and went onto our scheduled appointments at the spa. Ahhh, RELAXATION. The spa was awesome! I had a wonderful pedicure by Nicole and a great message from Sean! It was amazing! The spa was very clean and staff was very friendly. The view from the hot tub was gorgeous. After we were done with the spa amenities, we checked with the front desk as to any available rooms. It was 3:00p.m. by then, and we were issued a room. Once we had checked in, we were hungry for a late lunch. We ended up having lunch at Scooners (downstairs) and chose to sit outside. Although it was a bit chilly, the view was beautiful. I enjoyed the Sea Bass Sandwich. Yumm! We went upstairs for some more R& R, and walked to downtown Monterey (Although a bit far to walk to, well worth the exercise). We were very pleased with the service and staff! The only one compaint we had was that the 1400 floor was extremely warm for comfort. We tried turning on our air conditioning in our room and it did not seem to be working. We tried opening the balcony's sliding door to get some fresh air circulated through the room, and it still felt stuffy. Other than that, EVERYTHING was well worth it. -ONE HAPPY CAMPER

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member