“Decent experience - great location, good spa & restaurant, watch for weddings”

Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco
“Decent experience - great location, good spa & restaurant, watch for weddings”
Reviewed January 4, 2009

We just returned from an overnight stay at the Monterey Plaza. We stayed in the ocean view room with balcony and were in luck with clear if not cold weather both days.

I would highly recommend the hotel spa - beautiful views from the outdoor hot tubs and lounge areas and a great way to start a getaway with a massage. The rooms are very well appointed including spa bathrobes, an MP3 audio player, binoculars to watch harbor seals, a comfy bed and chaise longe and chair outside. We also enjoyed breakfast in the Duck Club Grill - we had a good and funny waiter and really enjoyed our breakfast (bagel and locks with all the trimmings and waffle with fresh fruit). Also, two sides of the dining room offered awesome bay views.

Our only major complaint was that there was a wedding going on on the night of our stay and the front desk decided to put us in a room directly over the banquet room where we were able to hear the music playing. You could also hear a lot of the plaza level noise as people walked around. If we were staying for more than one night, I probably would have asked for another room. Next time I'll ask for a room away from the banquets and on a higher floor.

Also on a side note (perhaps another complaint), on weekends they seem to be pretty busy as we arrived at 2pm and there weren't any rooms available, even though we had made spa appts at 3:30pm and had requested an earlier check-in. We were told that rooms were guaranteed by 4pm and that they would call us when the room became avail. And wouldn't you know it, the room was avail about 20 minutes later just as I was changed into my robe for the spa appt - not the best logistics coordination and unfortunately was the hotel's first impression on us.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Wedding accomodation infringed upon our experience
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GalInSF

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,363)
  • Korean first
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Reviewed December 18, 2008

I stayed at the new Clement on Cannery Row a few months ago and was terribly disappointed. The hotel and service was not what I expected and thought I would try the Monterey Plaza.

What a difference! A luxury hotel that has made the most of its location on the ocean. Also the building made The Clement
look sick. Every employee that I encountered was friendly
and informative and acted as if they really truly enjoyed their
job.

The food was great as I expected more hotel food. The service
and food in The Duck Club was fabulous and what a view!

Don't be disappointed elsewhere and stay here!

• Liked — great room layout and amenities
  • Disliked — had to go home
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank santacruzcalifornia
Los angeles
Reviewed December 17, 2008

My boyfriend and I needed a weekend away, and my god, it felt like we'd been transported to another realm. It was incredibly romantic, peaceful and just all around delicious. Staff treated us like royalty, the beds were like clouds, the fireplace so cozy... (sigh)..Dreaming of our next escape back to the Plaza~

Stayed November 2008
1 Thank fam143
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 16, 2008

We stayed at the Clement Intercontinental, a B&B in Carmel and at the Plaza during our two weeks in Monterey. The Plaza was far superior in every category.

The location is great, right on the bay and on Cannery Row.
They even provide binoculars in your room so you can watch the sea lions, fishing trawlers, and other maritime activity.

The staff is truly outstanding. We found each to be friendly and courteous, and they went out of their way to make our stay pleasant.

The facilities are great. For a $25 "resort fee" you get valet parking, free access to the spa (great outdoor hot tubs overlooking the bay), and free wireless internet.

If you're going to visit the Monterey Peninsula, don't stay anywhere else!

• Liked — Location, luxury and value
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank NeaLinda
Visalia
Reviewed December 12, 2008

My husband and I were overhelmed by the excellent service we encountered at the Monterey Plaza. We have stayed there before and have had your normal hotel service. But this time it exceeded our expectations. Every single employee there catered to our every need. After a long day of sight seeing we came back to our bed turned down with a beautiful flower placed on our pillows along with robes placed at the foot of our bed. On our last day I left my wedding ring in the bathroom of our room. We rushed back to see if the staff might have found it while cleaning up the room. Sure enough they did and was more than happy to return it to me. You would be crazy not to stay at this wonderful Hotel.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — No hotel activities
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Romanticgal
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed December 9, 2008

I had a fabulous stay at the Monterey Plaza hotel right on historic Cannery Row. Situated right on the water, the hotel food was great, and you could hear the sea lions barking as you ate breakfast on the patio (we had unseasonably warm weather for November, I think).

The room was spacious and had a wonderful view, and was walking distance to the aquarium, some great restaurants, and even some shopping.

The accommodations were beautiful, and if you have a chance to check out the spa/fitness center, do it! You can ride the bike or treadmill with a view of the water, or relax in the rooftop spa!

If I get the chance to go back to Monterey, I'm definitely going back to the Plaza! Although I might brush up on my Steinbeck trivia first since I've only read a couple of his books. I felt like there was so much to be learned from the history of the area that I was missing out on some aspects of the culture!

• Liked — the gorgeous, romantic setting and great food!
  • Disliked — the internet connection was a little bit slow
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank pittgirly
San Francisco
Reviewed December 2, 2008

The hotel is very nice. The service is great. I loved being on the water. The room I stayed in didn't have a view of the water, but it opened onto a private garden area which was very nice. I stayed here just one night for a retreat but want to return with my family on our next trip to Monterey.

• Liked — On the Monterey Bay
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business