“Amazing experience”

Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 6, 2014

This resort has it all. The rooms/views were amazing. We literally saw otters and seals everyday from the room. The staff is knowledgeable and attentive to anything you may need. The customer service is beyond words! Spa was amazing and all guests have access to the jacuzzi, top floor seatign with firepit and sauna. Just breathtaking and a must stay. We will definitely return to this resort. Also only walking distance to shops, wine tasting rooms, great dining and the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Phenomenal property

Room Tip: Pay more for the oceanview. You will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for five nights in an inland view room in the executive building. The room was spacious, quiet and clean (as was the rest of the hotel). The beds were very comfortable. Very attentive staff, quick valet service.
I also liked the location of the hotel.The shops on Cannery Row, the aquarium, Old Fisherman's Wharf - everything is within walking distance.
I definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael O
Reviewed June 5, 2014

My husband and I love the Monterey Bay area. He is a golfer who like to golf in the area. I do not golf therefore I get a spa day. I just love the Vista Blue Spa at the Monterey Plaza Hotel. The attendants are wonderful and very attentive to your needs and wants. I had Bliss on the Bay treatment-80 mins of heaven. Afterwards I wanted a pedicure-No problem. The best part is the hot tubs on the roof with a fireplace and steam room. You can order lunch and stay all day. Heaven

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mindys604
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Dear Mindy,

Thank you for sharing your complimentary comments and for your five-star review about your experience at Vista Blue Spa. I am delighted to read you enjoyed the many features our Spa has to offer. Your thoughts will be shared with the Spa team. We look forward to your next visit to Monterey.

John V. Narigi
Vice President & General Manager
Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

Reviewed June 5, 2014

We had our daughter's wedding here. It was wonderful. She had the ceremony and cocktail hour on the lower terrace and reception in the Carmel Room. The hors d'oeuvre (grilled chicken sates, Ahi tuna medallions, ovals of mozzarella on garlic baguettes, petite beef wellington, crab stuffed mushrooms) and the entree choices (filet mignon, vegetarian wellington, and salmon) were delicious. We also did a dessert table which had a variety of chocolate pastries--just wonderful. The brunch the next day was relaxing and the food was great.

What a wonderful staff of employees! Everyone was professional and helpful. Housekeeping cleaned up early for us. The bellhops were courteous and helpful. The servers did a great job at the wedding and brunch. The front desk worked with us and corrected some minor problems with the room rates.

The vendor list was great. Swenson and Silacci did a beautiful job with the flowers--ranges of purple with a touch of white. Thank you Ginny and Chris. Nikki and Kelly at Chioma Salon did a great job with hair and make up. Paul Liu at Freedom Bakery made the most delicious, moist black and white cake with cookies and cream filling. He also designed the cookies we did as favors with 2 starfish and my daughter and son-in-law's initials. The cake was still moist two days after the wedding! The photographer Jeff Sharpe did a fantastic job with the photographs. He was there promptly and was so accommodating especially when we had to retake a photo because we forgot a member of the family. The DJ Jon Belmont was great. He's so organized and sends out a packet with a ton of songs and an organizer so that everything that you want included in the wedding will be included.

The hostesses at Schooner's Restaurant helped us with our prewedding party by saving us a table in the bar area. The food is fantastic. Try the filet mignon with the lobster tails!

And last but not least, Alexis Davis, the catering manager, wedding coordinator, and overall good person. She helped us every step of the way. She responded quickly to emails, met with us when we were in town, made suggestions that worked, had a great sense of humor, and laid all those flower petals on the runner the day of the wedding. Thank you so much for your kindness, thoughtfulness, and professionalism. Be careful MPH&S. Someone may scoop her up!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor plaza side. The sea otters and sea gulls make a lot of noise. I find it...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I booked this hotel solely on Trip Advisor reviews. We were in Monterey for a wedding and though there were other more affordable venues, I really wanted to see and hear the seals and be on the water. The hotel is very low key from the outside on arrival. I had no idea that it is quite large with many room choices. There were several events over the weekend and our room was extremely quiet. I booked a corner ocean view and was on the third floor of the spa building, as far as I could be from the main hotel and literally built on the water. The view from the room was spectacular, the room was large and well appointed. I have to say that housekeeping did an excellent job of keeping the room freshened and up to standards. It must be very hard to do this because of the sea air. We were given the adjoining room at a nominal price allowing me to have my own bathroom and that made the trip.I was able to totally relax and get ready when I felt like moving! The spa is the nicest and newest part of the hotel with hot tubs overlooking the water, an exercise facility and many kinds of spa treatments. I had a massage and facial while I was there. The massage was good. Fran gave me a facial that was up to my standards and really helped saved the weekend as I have had no time to accomplish this at home. We traveled from the east coast so the spa is a wonderful way to revive after a long trip. My husband had a wonderful massage as well and was able to relax! We had some soup at the bar/restaurant. The bread bowl the chowder was served in was delicious but the regular rolls were not as fresh. My husband loved the soup and I thought it was too thick but most of all we enjoyed sitting and relaxing. That is the key to this hotel: the service is excellent and there is every kind of venue to enjoy during your trip. One lady told me that she comes several times a year from one hour away to relax. The location could not be better. Everything is a short distance away, Cannery Row, the Aquarium and the wharf. We saw most of Monterey by foot. Yes it's true that part of the hotel view is an old , ugly building but that is the original cannery row where men risked there lives to bring the fish in and the history is fascinating. I enjoyed all the convenience this hotel had to offer from the valet parking, excellent concierge to the hairdresser who stayed open so I could go to the wedding in style. I always think it is worth paying extra for a first class experience. This hotel is more expensive than most but the service, the view , the conveniences and hearing the seals and the water make it all worth while. My suggestion is splurge for the ocean view but if you can't, get the least expensive room and enjoy the many public places in the hotel that allow you to experience the beauty of Monterey.

Room Tip: spa building, high floor
1  Thank NC R
Reviewed June 4, 2014

My family and I stayed at the hotel for the long weekend on Memorial Day in an ocean view room. We had a pleasant stay: the hotel was clean, nice but nothing spectacular. The ocean room is way too expensive and the view from the hotel is not the best in the area. There is an old abandoned building next to it which ruins the nice ocean-marina view. The location is great - you only have to walk aprox. 5 minutes to get to Cannery Row, the Monterey Bay Aquarium and the shopping/tourist area.
The staff at the hotel is very nice. I had a couple of special requests made prior to our arrival (a crib for my baby and a birthday bouquet for my husband) and the lady at the concierge desk was able to arrange those for me. There was live music at the lobby every afternoon and it was nice to have a drink there and spend a couple of hours listening to the musicians.
There were two weddings during the weekend that we spent at the hotel, however, we didn't hear a thing from our room in the 2nd floor.
Overall, the hotel is nice, conveniently located but a little overpriced.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room. The inland rooms are across the street.
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Beautiful place helpful professional staff eager to please great views great restaurant. Fabulous hot tub. This place has it all! Valet parking was quick and organized and very helpful w directions. We were very happy there and the beds were very comfy.