“Monterey Plaza Hotel has it All!!!”

Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Grover Beach, California, Usa
“Monterey Plaza Hotel has it All!!!”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We stayed at the Plaza with my Father-in-Law and 8 year old son. We had adjoining rooms that were off a courtyard terrace. The hotel is top-notch with attentive staff, welcoming valet, and a beautiful lobby.
It was nice to be able to open the sliding doors to the courtyard and let our son go back and forth between the two rooms in the morning while we were having coffee and getting ready, and again at bedtime.
There is no better location in my opinion. You are about a three minute walk to the aquarium and the heart of Cannery Row, but just enough off of the main thoroughfare to have quiet and be able to hear the ocean waves. :)
The hotel is on the water and has a spa and lovely restaurants with a farm-to-table focus.
You will not be disappointed!
Worth the price.
We are going again with my folks in two weeks!!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are worth the money. You are on the water! You want to sit outside and enjoy!!
Green Features: Organic/local food & beverages. Water conscious practices.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kimberly A
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Kimberly,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. I’m delighted to read you consider the Plaza the best location in Monterey for you and your family. I enjoyed reading the highlights of your experience. We look forward to your return.

Monterey Plaza Hotel & Plaza

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,364)
  • Korean first
california
Reviewed April 3, 2014

The hotel is in a perfect location -- perfect. And even though it is in the center of activity, inside the rooms it is quiet and peaceful. The hotel staff is simply wonderful.

One problem: the cleaning standards inside the room are not up to the standards of a luxury hotel. Please fix this Monterey Plaza Hotel. We were thinking of spending Christmas here, but I don't feel comfortable being reminded that someone else had just occupied the room.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the cleanliness of your guestroom. It is certainly not indicative of our standards. I can assure you that your feedback has been addressed with our Director of Housekeeping. I appreciate your compliments regarding the location, amenities and hotel staff.

I would like to learn more about your experience, if you could please contact me at 831-645-4000 or jnarigi@montereyplazahotel.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

Very good hotel on an amazing location. You have a great view of the ocean and even get to see dolphins and other sea animals if you are lucky. Definetely get an ocean view room. The staff is very nice and take their time to help you out. Very close to nice shops and restaurants on Cannery.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Excellent hotel at an absolutely beautiful location. Rooms a great (and best with an ocean view). Both of the two restaurants are great. Service was great throughout (except that the check in and out were very slow, not enough staff at front desk and the lady there is inefficient). We have stayed at the hotel a couple of times and will definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 31, 2014

The spa is great, the service is exceptional, close to great hiking, and everything needed is within their walls. We had our anniversary here and they gave up chocolate covered strawberries and a gift. The front desk staff is very friendly and the spa staff were outstanding.

• Stayed March 2014
South San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I was in town for a show taking place at the Monterey Convention Center. It was such pleasure to stay at such a relaxing and beautiful property while in town for work. The bed was so comfortable. I slept with the sliding doors to the balcony open each night so I could fall asleep to the sound of the waves. It was pretty incredible and I was sad to leave. The valet team was so professional and punctual. Every morning I'd call down for my car which I was told would take about 10 minutes to retrieve. They had my car outside and waiting for me within 7 minutes each morning. Dennis at the bell desk exceeded my expectations with is level of professionalism and attention to detail.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Seattle
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Had a wonderful anniversary weekend here. It was romantic, bed was super comfy. Loved the bath products. Cucumber fennel smell. Yum. The robes were SUPER SOFT inside! I didn't want to take mine off and considered packing it and taking it home with me. But I was good and left it to be laundered for the next guest. :)

We had an ocean view king room and it was perfect. Keep in mind that you will be able to hear the waves crashing all night long through the windows, so if that's not your idea of bliss, take a room on the interior or side. I was also able to hear the neighboring family through the walls (muffled), but that didn't bother us either. It just reminded us of how lucky we were to steal some time to ourselves without the kids!

Had a delicious dinner in the restaurant. Service was great, so many servers walking around to help. The restaurant gets crowded on the weekend, so plan ahead and make a reservation. We had the special four-course meal and really enjoyed it. It was the "PORK & PINOT" celebration. Since we didn't have to drive that night, we had the wine pairing. Great food, great wine, great night.

I loved the location of this hotel. It's just off the main area of the strip (Cannery Row). Still very close to walk to the action, but much quieter. Thanks to the kind/attentive staff. They provided excellent service.

Room Tip: You will be able to hear the waves crashing through the windows of the full ocean view rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Possem
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you for your glowing review regarding your recent stay at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. I’m pleased you enjoyed the service, your accommodations and dining at Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar. I look forward to sharing your complimentary remarks with our associates. Thank you for recommending the Plaza and we hope to welcome you back in the future.