“Great location and hotel”

Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great location and hotel”
Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

Very good hotel on an amazing location. You have a great view of the ocean and even get to see dolphins and other sea animals if you are lucky. Definetely get an ocean view room. The staff is very nice and take their time to help you out. Very close to nice shops and restaurants on Cannery.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,379)
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Excellent hotel at an absolutely beautiful location. Rooms a great (and best with an ocean view). Both of the two restaurants are great. Service was great throughout (except that the check in and out were very slow, not enough staff at front desk and the lady there is inefficient). We have stayed at the hotel a couple of times and will definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 31, 2014

The spa is great, the service is exceptional, close to great hiking, and everything needed is within their walls. We had our anniversary here and they gave up chocolate covered strawberries and a gift. The front desk staff is very friendly and the spa staff were outstanding.

• Stayed March 2014
South San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I was in town for a show taking place at the Monterey Convention Center. It was such pleasure to stay at such a relaxing and beautiful property while in town for work. The bed was so comfortable. I slept with the sliding doors to the balcony open each night so I could fall asleep to the sound of the waves. It was pretty incredible and I was sad to leave. The valet team was so professional and punctual. Every morning I'd call down for my car which I was told would take about 10 minutes to retrieve. They had my car outside and waiting for me within 7 minutes each morning. Dennis at the bell desk exceeded my expectations with is level of professionalism and attention to detail.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Seattle
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Had a wonderful anniversary weekend here. It was romantic, bed was super comfy. Loved the bath products. Cucumber fennel smell. Yum. The robes were SUPER SOFT inside! I didn't want to take mine off and considered packing it and taking it home with me. But I was good and left it to be laundered for the next guest. :)

We had an ocean view king room and it was perfect. Keep in mind that you will be able to hear the waves crashing all night long through the windows, so if that's not your idea of bliss, take a room on the interior or side. I was also able to hear the neighboring family through the walls (muffled), but that didn't bother us either. It just reminded us of how lucky we were to steal some time to ourselves without the kids!

Had a delicious dinner in the restaurant. Service was great, so many servers walking around to help. The restaurant gets crowded on the weekend, so plan ahead and make a reservation. We had the special four-course meal and really enjoyed it. It was the "PORK & PINOT" celebration. Since we didn't have to drive that night, we had the wine pairing. Great food, great wine, great night.

I loved the location of this hotel. It's just off the main area of the strip (Cannery Row). Still very close to walk to the action, but much quieter. Thanks to the kind/attentive staff. They provided excellent service.

Room Tip: You will be able to hear the waves crashing through the windows of the full ocean view rooms.
1 Thank Possem
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Thank you for your glowing review regarding your recent stay at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. I’m pleased you enjoyed the service, your accommodations and dining at Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar. I look forward to sharing your complimentary remarks with our associates. Thank you for recommending the Plaza and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

John V. Narigi
Vice President & General Manager
Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Spent our 20 year anniversary there. Everyone was very helpful. Valet, front desk and house keeping all went out of their way to make sure we had a pleasant stay. The view was amazing and room was clean and well maintained. Would highly recommend staying there.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the ocean. Although I'm sure they are all nice. We like upper rooms in main...
Scotland
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights (21-23 March). We had booked a king ocean view and the first room we were shown to was huge but was on the same level as the viewing platform that was just to the right of the bedroom window. It made me feel very uncomfortable as people could look into the room very easily, so to maintain any sense of privacy, I would have to close the drapes, which rather defeated the purpose of paying the extra for the ocean view! The front desk were extremely helpful and moved us to a 3rd floor room in the main building. It was smaller but I think the views were better and the only nosy visitors we had were the occasional bird!

We ate at Schooner's on the first night and it was delicious and the wine list was very good too. We had a table at the window and enjoyed watching the last of the evening light fade and the sounds of the ocean.

I would happily revisit this hotel but I would pay a bit more to get a room with a balcony so I could sit out and enjoy the sunset and the otters playing in the sea below. We didn't take a balcony this time as we were unsure what the weather would be like in March (we were lucky that it turned out to be beautiful) so a balcony would be a must for me if we returned later in the year.

All the staff were very helpful and friendly.