“Northern CA Gorgeous Ocean View...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Jose, California
“Northern CA Gorgeous Ocean View...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel with my husband for our honeymoon and came back many times for our anniversaries. This place is very luxurious and feels like a great retreat for couples. On the top roof there is a spa with jaccuzzi - overlooking the ocean, where couples can relax and enjoy the gorgeous views. The rooms are spacious and very nicely decorated. Their restaurant is pricey but pretty amazing too, we loved all the foods there - very high quality. We came here about every year or ones in 2 years - it's a nice place for a couples get aways.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,345)
  • Korean first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I'm convinced that the only reason this hotel gets good reviews is because if you stay in the other hotels in the area you're likely to get mugged in your sleep. The walls are paper thin, the views of the ocean are obstructed, and the balconies are no more than a glorified windowsill. There's a rundown abandoned building next door that has the same lousy view for much less than what we paid for our room. As a matter of fact, I'm quite sure I ran into the homeless guy who lives there out on Cannery Row... of the locals we bumped into (including a con artist claiming to be collecting for the needy and an obvious pick pocket) he was the most pleasant encounter. I highly recommend staying away from Monterey altogether, but if you must stay there I would say this hotel is your best option. If nothing else, it was very clean and we did feel safe because it was free of the riffraff that lurks around Cannery Row.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank kmd1978
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your experience at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. I am disappointed to learn that you were not satisfied with your guestroom and were not able to experience a full view of the Bay.

As a destination, Monterey prides itself on being a safe city with wonderful dining and activities to appreciate. Cannery Row provides security to allow guests visiting to be in a safe environment that they can enjoy. The abandoned building next to the hotel is a Historical Landmark and the original home of a Sardine Cannery. I am sorry to hear that you weren’t pleased with your experience and the destinations attractions.

If you could please contact me directly, I would appreciate a personal conversation. I can be reached by phone at 831-645-4000 or by e-mail at jnarigi@montereyplazahotel.com.

Long Island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Horrible service and organization. It was a gorgeous hotel and centrally located. I give it that. However that was all it had to offer.

We arrived at 3pm and the valet (a required $25 charge) took our car. They seemed disappointed that we didn't want a bell hop but we didn't have that much luggage, so it hardly seemed worth it. The valet hovered around us until we gave him a tip for taking the car. Fine. We were then told that our room wasn't ready and they advised us to check the luggage. Fine. We did because we thought it would be an hour before we got the room. Our son went to use the bathroom and in the time it took him, the room was magically ready. Another hand out for tip for the bellman who stored our luggage for 5 minutes. We were annoyed but are easy going and happy to get on with our trip.

The next day we took in all that Monterey has to offer. We took a ride on a Surrey bike and went to the aquarium. Both things fun and well worth it. At 4pm we went back to the hotel to rest up a bit and change clothing for the whale watching tour we had booked at 5:00. We were surprised to find that the cleaning crew had just gotten to the room. When I asked them if they could come back later, they told me to wait 15 minutes. I went to the desk and the clerk, with a big smile told me that they always cleaned the room at that time. I have travelled all over the world and have never had that happen before! Again, I let it go. What was the point in arguing?

In the morning I decided that I would make my own coffee only to find that there was only decaf with the in room coffee pot. By this time, I just wanted out. We packed up, called the valet and waited forty minutes for them to get the car. In the meantime we complained again. They offered us nothing but smiles and hands out for yet another tip. We were more than disappointed. We won't be back and we certainly won't recommend.

Stayed July 2013
8 Thank TravelingFamilyLI
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to write and convey your concerns regarding your recent visit to the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. I am very disappointed that your stay did not meet your expectations.

Please accept my sincere apologies that your guest room was serviced late in the day and your request for Housekeeping to return later was not taken into consideration by our staff. Furthermore, we should have fully stocked your room amenities with regular coffee.

In addition, we were disappointed to learn that the service you received from the valet was not to our standard. I can reassure you that this issue has been addressed with the appropriate staff members and management for corrective action. We pride ourselves on the premier service and accommodations that the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa is known for and when we fail to meet our guest’s expectations, we do not take these matters lightly.

If you could please contact me directly so that we may discuss your experience in detail, it would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached by phone at 831-645-4000 or by e-mail at jnarigi@montereyplazahotel.com.

Again, my apologies,

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Loved this hotel! The staff and service were both great, and the rooms were very nice and well-sized. Everything was very clean and comfortable -- but this hotel is much more than that!. We stayed in a partial ocean view, king room. Though we didn't have a balcony, there was a lot of ocean view for only being partial ocean view. For what we paid, this was an incredible value. Though we did not eat dinner at the restaurant, we did order breakfast, which was quite delicious. We were in the spa building, and the Jacuzzi at the top has great views over they bay.

The location was really good, too. It was not a long walk to Cannery Row, but was also not in the middle of all the noise that comes with Cannery Row.

Only one warning -- A lot of people (us included) drive to this hotel and valet (it's included in the hotel fees), so the valet can get quite backed up. Just make sure to give yourself plenty of time, since you may have to wait for your car a bit. However, the staff and valet attendants are very nice and helpful. It's not their fault the hotel is so popular!

I would highly recommend this hotel if you are staying in Monterey! We definitely would like to go back!

Room Tip: We had a partial ocean view room, and had a great view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Skidea
Spring, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed at the MPH this past weekend for two nights while in the Monterey area for a special event. Great hotel in a great location with very attentive staff. Very short walk to both Cannery Row shops as well as Fisherman's Wharf area. Easy access and attentive valet service as well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank FutureChef_Texas
Clovis CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Wow...need to get out of the heat? Get a nice balcony room bay side. Need I say more? Really the Cat's Meow! Beautiful room, great view, cool air and terrific service.
AAAHHH...this trips observation is coming and here was the only down side to this great property.
The coffee house vendor opens his doors at 6:00 am. This hotel property is a great place to view the Bay while sipping coffee and looking at a million dollar view from the hotel property. BUT when someone spends 500.00 plus dollars a nite to stay and you are woke up by coffee patrons with barking dogs down below your room it gets annoying. I can't tell you how disturbing it was to call the hotel front desk from my room at 7:15 am to tell them about a group of two females with 2 barking dogs below this million dollar view I spent major dollars on to get piece and quiet, listen to the waves and regain my sanity... to watch the security guards walk a tight rope of "who do I piss off"!!! This went on till after 8:30! really!!!!
Let me tell you who you piss off...the person that spent 5.00 not the person that spent 500.00. I did speak to the Hotel Manager. He was very appreciative to have a patron that gave a suggestion, paid to stay an extra night without a request for a monetary resolve. I love this property and will always come back. In the future I will be on the security team to make sure that no one will be allowed to ruin my beautiful morning again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Atascadero, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

The room, value, staff, location, and overall property are excellent. The concierge made our stay special and helped in preparing everything for the weekend. All of my special requests that I had setup with the concierge in advance went smoothly. Furthermore, the last minute dinner reservations for the Chart House Restaurant were handled professionally by the concierge.

The Vista Blue Spa was a great experience as well. Overall our stay was perfect we look forward to staying there again soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Monterey_Plaza, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Brian,

Thank you for your generous five star rating. It’s great to hear that the property was excellent and
that the concierge and spa assisted to make it a special weekend. I hope we have the
opportunity to welcome you back.