This was my fourth visit to this hotel.
Two minor disappointments this time: 1) I had expected the same spectacular small balcony with full ocean view I had 3 times in the past, with binoculars to watch the otters lolling in the kelp, but this time the same "ocean view" looked back on a busy public patio and at the shore. In comparison, I would call it a partial ocean view (see photo) and just wish that had been clear at booking; 2) I spent an optional $100 for a 3pm check out, and called early to ask them to remove the room service breakfast trays and leftovers, but six hours later they had not come to take them away.
Still, I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Monterey. This hotel has a lovely lobby, with big chairs and couches and a fireplace, that is perfect for meeting up with friends or sitting with a book. I hate feeling like I am at a conference hotel, even when I am at a conference, and this meets my needs. There is an evening bar, and they had a live jazz singer on Saturday. Downstairs is a restaurant with both casual and more formal dining options, and meeting rooms. Both levels overhang the ocean.
I have stayed both with and without small kids, and they are welcome and easily managed (to the relief of other guests) due to the fluid indoor/outdoor configuration. Cannery Row and the aquarium to one side, and Fisherman's Wharf to the other, are within a short walk. I attend a conference each year at the Portola and I walk there.
Rooms are spacious and nicely furnished (see photos). The rooms I have been in had a stocked honor bar, but no separate refrigerator or microwave.
All of the staff, from the front desk, to bell service, to valet (no self park), were friendly and competent. The staff are probably the best feature of the hotel. I go to Monterey a few times a year, and I will continue to stay here, but I will be sure to request a full ocean-facing vie next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relax on the water's edge at the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. Dramatically perched over the Monterey Bay and located on historic Cannery Row, the Plaza is the perfect place to enjoy the gentle sounds of the surf, the fresh scent of sea air and all of the activities that the Monterey Peninsula has to offer. The only Forbes Four Star rated hotel in Monterey, the Plaza welcomes you with its warm Mediterranean ambiance and its legendary personalized service. While here, enjoy our roof-top Vista Blue Spa, the European-style Café La Strada, and our waterfront restaurant, Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar.For the comfort of our guests, all sleeping rooms and balconies are 100% non-smoking. In addition to taxes, a $27 per night resort fee applies to all reservations, which includes valet parking, guestroom internet, access to the spa facilities and local phone calls. Periodically, the Plaza is host to events such as weddings, dinners and concerts which may be seen and heard from sleeping rooms. Every effort is made to keep the times and volume of these events within reason. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Jetsetter, Agoda, Reservation Counter and Despegar.com so you can book your Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Monterey Plaza Hotel And Spa
- Monterey Plaza Hotel Monterey
- Monterey Plaza Resort
- Plaza Hotel Monterey