“Excellent in Every Way”

Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Everything about this place is awesome. First, I travel a considerable amount and don't think I have ever experienced better service anywhere. From the valet parking attendants when we drove up to the bellman at check out, everyone went out of their way to be helpful. We ate in the restaurant, we used the spa, we visited the coffee shop, we asked for directions and EVERYONE we encountered was just as helpful as could be.
Second, the room was great. We had a balcony room overlooking the water and thoroughly enjoyed the sounds of the waves crashing and the sea otters below. The room was super clean, a decent size and very well appointed. The bed was very comfortable and I slept like a baby. Some reviewers commented about the property being noisy but we did not experience that at all, even with two weddings going on.

Third, the spa. Wow. We floated out after our wonderful and relaxing treatments and really didn't want to leave. We stayed and enjoyed the hot tubs and sauna and watched the sunset. The view was really, really nice.

This hotel is in the perfect location. We were able to walk down Cannery Row and do a bit of shopping. We also found a few good restaurants for breakfast and lunch nearby outside of the hotel. We didn't need to move the car at all.

I can't say enough about this place. It was outstanding all around, starting with Andrea and reservations who booked the room and our spa treatments for us. Thank you and I honestly cannot wait to return. This is service the way it should be done.

Room Tip: If you can, book a room over the water, preferably one with a balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was traveling to Monterey for a conference at the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. So I figured why not make the commute simple, so I booked a room at the hotel. Upon arrival, the friendly bell staff assisted in taking my luggage to the room. To be specific, the gentleman's name was John. He gave a detailed explanation of the all the amenities the hotel had to offer including but not limited to spa treatments, workout facilities, campus layout, and even his favorite dish at the restaurant downstairs. He suggested Angry Prawns. Believe me, and his suggestion... They were outstanding. A classical touch of chili and garlic agonized every taste bud. Throughout my stay John always made a point to go the extra mile.

The room had a spectacular view of the bay and every morning it was peaceful to watch the sea otters frolic upon the kelp beds.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My company had a sales meeting at the Monterey Plaza. First, they did an excellent job with the meeting, every aspect was handled in a unobtrusive and professional manner. No glitches.

The hotel itself is low key, yet very attractive. The views over the Monterey bay are spectacular and since the hotel literally sits directly on the water, there is plenty of wild life to see (and hear...the seals were very vocal). The service was friendly and efficient. The food was very good.

It was a great place for both a meeting as well as a couple getaway (my wife accompanied my on this trip).

The location is perfection. For golfers, there is Pebble Beach and a number of other courses in the vicinity. For the outdoors types, there are hiking trails and hidden beaches (Pfieffer for one) that are major attractions. Simply a beautiful, bountiful area.

The only slight glitch is catching a cab on a friday morning. Cabs seemed to run a bit late on a rainy friday morning...which is a busy time. But, no big deal.

I should also note, that there are numerous restaurants in the vicinity ranging from casual to upscale.

A great place.

Room Tip: If you want a great view of the bay, choose suite 1301/1302. It's a corner suite that provides...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife and I just got back from a 3 day stay at the Plaza. Just like our previous stays everything was excellent. The hotel staff has been the same for many years and it is nice when you arrive and they remember your name. Susan in reservations was an absolute pleasure to work with, she handled our request and was able to get us our favorite room, she took care of spa reservations for us so we had one less thing to worry about. The ocean view rooms with a balcony are great. You can have the doors to the balcony open at night so you can listen to the waves. We have been going to the Plaza for over 6 years. It is by far our favorite hotel on the coast.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My adult daughter and I planned a Mommy-Daughter weekend in Monterey because we won't be together during the holidays. I cannot say enough good things about our hotel, The Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa! The service was 5 star PLUS! Everyone was so friendly and helpful! Our room was incredible with gorgeous views of the bay! The concierge went out of his way to get restaurant reservations for us and arrange a shuttle to transport us! The Schooner Restaurant was delicious for both lunch AND dinner. The piano bar was perfect for a nightcap! Amazing entertainment! The bike path is nearby for an early morning run (for my daughter) or walk (for me!) This hotel was THE BEST! I will dream about coming back again!

Room Tip: Go for the ocean view rooms!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Patricia B
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel several times before in an ocean view room. This time we could not get an ocean view, so we took the inland view. The room was up to hotel standards, but I really missed hearing the waves at night and the seagulls in the morning. (I tried hard to get an upgrade but they were sold out.)

We really missed the Duck Club restaurant! They remodeled and changed the Duck Club in to Schooners, which is an extension of their bar. It was a more causal atmosphere.

Make sure to rent a bike and a kayak at Adventures by the Sea which is right across the street. If you go kayaking, go in he morning when there's no wind and the wildlife is active.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tlhsf
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hotel is absolutely top of the line! The furnishings were exquisite and the views were absolutely breathtaking. The bed was also outstanding! I had the best night's sleep I've had in a while. I was treated like royalty, and every staff member went out of their way to be accommodating. They were also extremely professional and have that "can do" attitude. I definitely plan to make it a priority to visit again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo