“Classy,close to everything ,clean,nice rooms!”

Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ventura, California
“Classy,close to everything ,clean,nice rooms!”
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

We were really surprised and the efficiency of the valet,the friendliness of the desk,the bel hop all terrific.Our room had a nice view..clean..the only drawback is check in is at 4 and when you valet ,park and the rooms not ready,you wait...we would have called first to make sure it was ready...

Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,374)
  • Korean first
Pinole, California, United States
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed here for two days and we were very impressed. Everyone was friendly and service oriented from the valet to the hot towels at reservations to the bell hop offering to get us ice or make dinner reservations. The spa people gave us a tour of all the facilities. The turn down service was a nice treat and even the maids said "Good Mornining" in the hallway. The prices at the restaurant were reasonable and the food was good. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone looking for a high quality hotel with excellent service

Room Tip: The ocean view is worth the extra money
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trisha R
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 2, 2012

....Just returned from a three-night stay at this prime location at the gateway to Cannery Row. I had stayed here twice in the (late '90s, early '00s) past for conventions and while it was good, it is considerably improved. I cite three things that comprise those improvements: 1) Service - it's gone from average to excellent: 2) food, dining, and room service - was average and largely "stock" mid-range hotel boring to very good to excellent. However, I would recommend they continue their direction towards healthier choices on the breakfast and lunch menus: 3) Beds and linens - Wow soooo much better!. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, MA
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The staff was attentive, the restaurant was excellent and the view is amazing. The hotel felt as though it was right in the ocean. A Regatta was sailing by as we had dinner and was beautiful. Had the opportunity to sit outside by the fire pit on a lovely evening. Overall, had a wonderful time and wish I could've stayed longer to check out the spa.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sonoma, California
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I've stayed here maybe half a dozen times now over a number of years, most recently for my girlfriend's birthday this year. I've only ever stayed in two hotels in Monterey because this was the second and there was never any reason to go anywhere else!

Worth noting: upon check-in the front desk agent welcomed me back and made it a point to wish my girlfriend a happy birthday (yes, I had mentioned it while making the reservation months earlier) and there were some token goodies awaiting her in the room, aside from the champagne and chocolates I had brought along myself.

Room service is consistently good. I always do breakfast in the room every morning. I am a huge fan of breakfast in my room or on the patio with the ocean view!

It really is a nice hotel. Getting to the hot tub or fitness center can be a bit far depending on your room location. I'll admit, it may lack some of the stunning amenities of of the top hotels I've been a guest at, but it also lacks the stuffiness that can come along with that. The staff is genuinely friendly and helpful. It's always luxurious and clean. I have never had anything but an enjoyable stay. I always mean to get a spa treatment but somehow never get around to it... maybe next time.

The views can't be beat. Spend the bucks and stay in an ocean view room-- you're in Monterey! Every room (or at least every one I've stayed in) has binoculars for you to stare out over the bay and spot the wildlife. It can be a wonderfully romantic vacation spot.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view! Don't come all this way to such a nice place and then pass that up.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brendo007
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Monterey Plaza in September 2012 while on our honeymoon. We had an ocean view room with a beautiful view of the bay from both the side of the balcony and the side window! We had a great time watching the otters and birds with the binoculars that are provided. The room and bed were super comfortable and we loved the hotel robes that were provided for guests. The front desk staff, valet, and bell hop were all very friendly and helpful. There was a wine/cheese hour at the spa, which has a great view (its on the roof overlooking the bay). We really enjoyed our visit and will stay again if in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We recently spent several days at this hotel. As to service, this hotel was top notch. Location is great for easy access into town. There is a great jogging trail that we utilized every morning. The restaurant on site is fantastic. Try the seafood salad. The coffee shop serves a tasty oatmeal. We kayaked in front of the hotel and biked to Pebble Beach. Overall a great trip. Only thing I would do different would be to pack warmer clothes. And be prepared. The hotel is noisy. Those staying bayside are awoken by the birds and those streetside by traffic.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business