“Beautiful Hotel on the Ocean”

Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rocklin, California
“Beautiful Hotel on the Ocean”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is a beautiful, luxurious hotel that literally sits on the ocean. We stayed here with our 5 and 3 year old and I was a little worried that it might not be the best place for kids, but I didn't have to worry about that. We pulled up on the day we arrived and there were a lot of staff helping everyone unload their luggage and valet their cars (the valet fee is already included in the resort fee that you have to pay, so you might as well park here). We arrived early and were able to check-in even though our room wasn't ready yet. They took down my cell number and said they would call me when the room was ready. That allowed us to leave all our luggage there and take a walk down to the aquarium which took about 10 minutes or so. The hotel itself is quite stunning from the beautiful lobby to the classic, elegant rooms with extremely comfortable beds. The main restaurant has panoramic views of the ocean. We ate breakfast there and the kids even spotted a sea otter who was swimming in and out of the water. The restaurant had a kids menu with crayons, so that was a pleasant surprise. Overall, I think I would enjoy coming back here with just my wife, so that we could experience the spa and other adult friendly amenities, but I wouldn't hesitate to bring my whole family back here either. I highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank David A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,367)
  • Korean first
Monterey
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Our stay was excellent, my family enjoyed the city and the hotel. This was very nice amd we liked it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Manal A
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This was my first experience at this hotel and I can't wait to go back. The grounds and rooms were beautiful, clean, and had views that would take your breadth away. Everyday we saw otters and seals from our ocean view room which I would highly recommend. The staff were professional and very helpful. They treated everyone like a VIP guest! I don't think I would ever consider staying anywhere else in the area!

• Stayed August 2012
John_V_Narigi, General Manager at Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thanks for sharing your experience! It's nice to hear we've got another loyal fan, can't wait to welcome you back :)
Golden, Colorado, United States
Reviewed August 29, 2012

WOW. A terrific property in every way. Our partial ocean view room and lockout ended up being over the ocean with views in three directions. The location was fantastic, right on Cannery Row with bike and jogging trail, sea lions, otters, spa, fitness, easy access to 17 mile drive and Carmel, 10 minute walk to Monterey pier! You cannot ask for more, service was great, too!

Caledonia, Illinois
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My wife and I had chosen this hotel in part to celebrate our 50th but also to join our son as he played in the Audi Quattro Golf tournament at Pebble Beach and Spanish Bay. We couldn't have chosen a better hotel. Besides being so close to so many "things to do", the hotel service was really great. Special thanks to Concierge Hillary who resolved a medical supply issue for us when our Illinois provider couldn't. Schooners is a great place to have a drink on the deck or a meal. The fitness center is one of the better ones I've used at any hotel. The hotel staff, however, sets this hotel apart from the rest. Our room had a balcony overlooking the bay and on our last morning, we saw the SUNRISE over the bay, what a memorable stay at this Mediterranean style facility.

Room Tip: get a room overlooking the bay and with a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Our staff is our best asset! Thanks so much for recognizing them and happy belated Anniversary!
Ventura, California
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I brought my girlfriend here for her birthday weekend getaway. The place has great ocean front rooms and is located on the quiet end of Cannery Row, the opposite end from the aquarium. We were treated very well from valet parking to turn down service. The rooms are clean and comfortable. We booked a room with a balcony overlooking the bay and there's a family of otters that hang out in the kelp bed in the view of the rooms and the rooms have binoculars to watch them with!

The hot tubs, steam sauna, and gym room are quite nice with great views on the top floor. It is time well spent relaxing, the turn down service is quite a nice touch as well. You can order a couple drinks and service will bring it up to you.

We had breakfast at Schooners restaurant in the hotel and with great views all around, and the food is pretty good too. The omelets and blueberry cinnamon french toast with orange juice was good.

Everything is a short walk away, there's a great little Indian place down the street, a movie theater, shopping everywhere, and lots of activities just in the wharf a few miles away and some great parks and paths in Pacific Grove to jog. It was really difficult to leave and can't wait to return! Don't be afraid to walk the streets and shops a block up from Cannery Row, there are shopping malls, sushi restaurants, and a movie theater all there if you just look up from Cannery Row.

Room Tip: If you can wing the price, I highly recommend the deluxe room with ocean view and balcony. Having th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John S
San Francisco
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is a very belated review of the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

My wife and I held our wedding reception here nearly two years ago and everyone involved still raves about what a great event it was. Not only is the scenery and surrounding area fantastic (directly on the ocean, easy Cannery Row accessibility, etc), but the staff at the hotel are top notch.

I would highly HIGHLY recommend this place to anyone looking to spot to host an event, book a romantic getaway, or even just passing through. The rooms, facilities, and staff are all tremendous and I can't wait to go back for our upcoming anniversary.

Room Tip: No secret here - ocean view with a balcony is amazing.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple