“Anniversary Stay”

Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 7, 2012

We spent our anniversary night at the Monterey Plaza, to round off a wonderful weekend at Esalen on Big Sur. The hotel was the first place we ever stayed on maimland America and it continues to score as a luxury location in a bustling and beautiful part of the world. This is the fifth time there and it has never disappointed.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the Ocean View. You are right over the waves.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,219)

Reviewed March 5, 2012

We stayed in this hotel over 25 years ago and on honeymoon and were fortunate to stay there again just recently. We ate lunch at Schooners and the food was absolutely wonderful.

Room Tip: The extra cost to have a room on the water is well worth it. You'll fall asleep to the sound of...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Have stayed here a few times, and just as this visit, found this a very good choice in Monterey, at the quiet end of Canery Row, very convienent, beautiful Bay views, very comfortable rooms and friendly, professional service, we will stay there again.

Room Tip: ask for a king ocean view on the 3rd of 4th floor of the main building
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I have visited this hotel and spa a numerous amount of times and have never once had a bad experience. The spa on the top floor is always impeccable. They have a full gym with high quality exercise equipment and the locker rooms are cleaner than a whistle with every type of toiletry you could ever imagine. I love this spa and the service here is above excellent. The staff is always friendly and they definitely go above and beyond for all of their clients. I'm a local and choose to use this facility over any other on the Monterey Peninsula. They offer packages that include a 50 minute service (which are always great) and then serve you a 2-course meal outside where you can enjoy the sun and jacuzzis that overlook the bay. I am tellling you that once you visit this Spa, no other will ever be able to compare. Special thanks to Martha, Sam, Samantha and Rea. You all do a wonderful job and each time I bring guests with me, they are always so impressed with you.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kami M
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I'm local in Monterey now, but when I lived in Santa Cruz, my boyfriend & I would always stay at the Plaza...we love it! Everything from the people working there to the location to the ambience is wonderful. I especially love going to Schooners now & drinking champagne at the bar & watching Anna work the room...she's a joy to be around. I highly recommend this hotel for any occasion!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kate G
Reviewed March 1, 2012

My husband and I spent 5 days recently at this wonderful hotel in Monterey, California. I think we could have stayed much longer! Our room was wonderful, large, and had just an incredible view of the ocean. We could watch the amazing sea otters from the room! The dining room was also just wonderful. Every meal that we had there was just perfect and the service was terrific. It's so nice when you stay at a hotel and the staff remembers your name if you have a request or if they just happen to be sharing an elevator or see you elsewhere in the building! The warm, cozy feel of the resort is just perfect. The setting of the hotel is just amazing!

I am a big fan of the Aquarium in Monterey and you can easily walk there from this hotel. Cannery Row is just an OK spot to walk - kind of like saying you walked down Broadway in NYC but it is still a vital part of the community. We were originally supposed to stay at the Marriott but changed our minds at the last minute. What a great decision. When we saw the Marriott it was a typical large, boxy hotel geared more to conventions and large groups than to the individual traveler or family. We just fell instantly in love with the Monterey Plaza. Absolutely no complaints of any kind - just a wonderful, perfect stay that we wished would never end!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for ocean front! Also ask if they have any breakfast included packages available.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank montauk1
Reviewed February 29, 2012

We were really looking forward to this hotel, because it was voted top 25. We booked a ocean view room through Expedia. When we got to our room and looked out the window, it was facing a large ugly building. If you looked to the left, there was a beautiful view, so I couldn't argue with them that it wasn't an ocean view room. I would request that your room is facing the ocean and not this awful, ugly building. Room was clean, and very nice. Service was good.
Spa looked awesome, I wish I had more time to take advantage of it. Very loud music was playing outside our room, but it stopped by 9:20 pm, so I thought that was reasonable. I would definitely return, and recommend to a friend, but would ask for a room in front of hotel. If you could spurge for a balcony, I would do it.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family