My wife and I stayed here from 3 nights during the last weeked in February. The facilities were very good and the service even better. They have clearly made service the number 1 priority of the staff -- and they've pulled it off more so than any place we've stayed in quite a while. While everyone bent over backwards to make sure our stay was first class, three examples stand out. While chatting with the bellman after arriving at our room (with a spectacular view of Monterey Bay and a nice balcony from which to enjoy it) he asked what brought us there.
My wife mentioned that the trip was an anniversary present to me. 5 minutes later another member of the staff arrived with a complementary bottle of champagne and chocholate dipped strawberries.
On our last morning we ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Half-way through our waiter asked how we liked the food. Uncharacteristically I commented that it was "ok" in an unenthusiastic tone. No "sorry about that" in reply. He genuinely wanted to know what was wrong. The problem - a bone dry omlett. He insisted that he bring a new one out. I had eaten about half of what had been served and really wasn't too excited about giving it another try, so I managed to convince him I was fine. 2 minutes later he returns with a bowl of fresh fruit and didn't charge for my breakfast.
At checkout the valet was very busy, and when we arrived our car hadn't. While we only had to wait about 5 minutes for the car (I've experienced much worse), he genuinely appologized at lease 5 or 6 times.
The facilities were clean and comfortable. Not 5 star level but still very nice. We didn't try the spa but did eat 1 dinner and 1 breakfast in the restaurant -- dinner was very good, breakfast was (as noted) nothing to write home about. A great location. Nice that it is at the start of Cannery Row (you miss a lot of traffic as a result) but within very easy walking distance.
Only negatives were the Friday night outdoor wedding reception with loud music until about 9:30, a little confusion about the restaurant and beds that were a little soft for my taste. One had recently closed, remodeled and renamed but there was still signage in the hotel and info in the room about the closed restaurant. Not a big deal at all.
We'll definitely be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Relax on the water's edge at the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. Dramatically perched over the Monterey Bay and located on historic Cannery Row, the Plaza is the perfect place to enjoy the gentle sounds of the surf, the fresh scent of sea air and all of the activities that the Monterey Peninsula has to offer. The only Forbes Four Star rated hotel in Monterey, the Plaza welcomes you with its warm Mediterranean ambiance and its legendary personalized service. While here, enjoy our roof-top Vista Blue Spa, the European-style Café La Strada, and our waterfront restaurant, Schooners Coastal Kitchen & Bar.For the comfort of our guests, all sleeping rooms and balconies are 100% non-smoking. In addition to taxes, a $27 per night resort fee applies to all reservations, which includes valet parking, guestroom internet, access to the spa facilities and local phone calls. Periodically, the Plaza is host to events such as weddings, dinners and concerts which may be seen and heard from sleeping rooms. Every effort is made to keep the times and volume of these events within reason. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Odigeo, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Monterey Plaza Hotel Monterey
- Monterey Plaza Hotel And Spa
- Monterey Plaza Resort
- Plaza Hotel Monterey