“food only okay but service not great this time”
Review of Gilbert's Seafood Grill - CLOSED

Gilbert's Seafood Grill
Cuisines: Seafood
San Jose, California
“food only okay but service not great this time”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We've eaten here a few times. This time was a bit disappointing. The food was only okay. But the service was inconsistent. It was a bit later in the evening (8:30 or so) and not many customers. The server was pleasant enough but not around when you needed something. During our main course (not even towards the end), some woman (perhaps a different server) came over to our table and removed the wreath that was hanging in the window above our table. NOT COOL. Taking down a dusty wreath while your customers are still eating? I won't give Gilberts my business again.

• Visited December 2012

Elk Grove, CA
“We ordered off the Lunch Special Menu”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

The Lunch Special Menu was surprisingly varied and delicious. The paella could be better: only a couple of clams, mussels, shrimp and fish. The rice was also a little bland. The Salmon and Shrimp Skewers was surprisingly good. A teriyaki glaze over the salmon and shrimp was excellently flavoried, not overpowering. Plus, the seafood was not overcooked! Yes, we would visit and try some more lunch specials. My son prefers Gilbert's Red Snapper clam chowder over the other restaurants on the wharf. Everyone in the family has their favorite restaurant for clam chowder.

• Visited December 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
“one way to bad food”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

don't let the nice looking lady out side fool you , service is good but the food is very BAD, had seafood enchiladas not only did they not tasty good they didn't even smell good. wife had fish and chips samething no good ! clam chowder isn't as good as across the way.

Visited November 2012
Fresno, California, United States
“Good value for Fishermans Wharf...but Old Grotto better food”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I was lured here on my trip to Monterey. Can't remember if they always did this, but women outside doing PR work for restaurants. This place offered more for my money and I couldn't remember if I'd had it. Cheap drink specials, free appetizer, and value type menu. Well, Got cocky and also tossed in a grilled artichoke, but didn't like it and I usually love artichoke. Balsamic vinegar marinade with no pizazz and it tasted funny. Otherwise, the salmon was small but delicious, rice and veggies was good. Drinks were generic but still good price. Bread and soup (not very hot) topped off this meal and we ate and drank our fill for about $45. I love the Old Fishermans Grotto and was craving their artichoke appetizer and soup as it it the best I've EVER had, but this meal there would have easily ran double this price!

• Visited November 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mediocre food. Great server”
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Our server Armando was great!!! The food was only mediocore and it's about $20 a plate, way too much. I would suggest a different restaurant on the pier. The clam chowder and free calamari was good and fresh