“Not Bad but Not Great”

Ranked #51 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Sofia, Bulgaria
“Not Bad but Not Great”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We had to stay in the Monterey area whilst our apartment in Carmel was being refurbished. As a Choice Privileges member I tried a number of Choice linked hotels, so as to increase my membership points and status. We moved to this hotel from the much superior Comfort Inn. The first room we were given smelt of cleaning fluid and bleach, it was foul. We had to argue to get a move to another room. This should not happen, especially when the smell was so strong.The second room was OK but still smelled of bleach. The room itself was clean, but it was much smaller than the aforementioned Comfort Inn. The breakfast was OK. Overall if you want to stay in a Choice Hotel, I would stay in the Comfort Inn in Monterey, it was nicer, bigger and more attentive staff than this hotel.

It wasn't bad, but other hotels serve the customer better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Chris_Cotton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
cape cod, ma
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this clarion for 2 days. Room small but clean with micro frig and coffee maker. Coffee maker broke and they promptly brought up a new one. Location is good . Walked to dinner and town. Room wasn't ready as we were early and we came back at 3 and it was done. Breakfast was great. The hotel feels cramped not really a good place to sit outside. Small Area near pool was dirty with grubby chairs needs refreshing. It did not have a gym or laundry which I like and had inside pool- not a fan. It's a good price for what you get but would have loved to relax outside

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank stedenCapeCod_Ma
Falls Church
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed here for the first time during our annual trip to Monterey. We stayed six nights and it was our best stay ever in Monterey, The manager and staff were very friendly and accommodating. Our room was clean and comfortable. We enjoyed the excellent breakfast and the convenient location.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DavidWithSuz
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My fiance and I were in Monterey for a weekend trip and stayed in the honeymoon suite. The decor is a little dated with gold fixtures and early 90's pastels but the room was clean and quiet and the fireplace, jacuzzi tub and candles made up for it. We loved it! During the day you can hear noise from the kids in the pool but we were out most of the day so it didn't bother us. We would definitely stay in that room again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HBLover
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night en-route down the PCH. Both rooms were spacious and clean. Front desk were helpful and accommodating. Request for quiet room was honoured and we all slept well, which is always a priority. Well placed for sightseeing. Breakfast was adequate.
Monterey itself, a little 'fairgroundish' and disappointing. Not much old charm to be found.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank 186338Jmd
Monterey, United States
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I stayed at this hotel on March 11 for several nights and I like it the first three nights I was there. The bed was very nicely made and comfortable. The room was cleaned and organized. I had a cottage room right behind the front desk office. it has a small patio with one chair but nothing special. The inn has a heated pool and Jacuzzi which is nice. When I first swam in the pool I got my eyes stingy because of so much chlorine in the pool but recovered the next day. The room had deficiencies such as a big stain in the bathroom wall right next to the toilet which I informed the front desk agent Diana. The Jacuzzi jet were not working at all after I was told it had jets. I was disappointed. The cabinets in the bathroom are outdated and kind of gross. The breakfast is not as nice as the one right next door which is quality inn. They should have a microwave in the breakfast room so guests can heat up their milk as I like to heat up mine. When I asked the breakfast attendant to heat up my milk she was rude and said "no we don't have microwave here" without going out of her way and finding other ways to please a guest. This is not customer service at all to me. They need to change this practices. Overall I like the inn which is rare to say. However when I revisited Clarion on march 20 and stayed in the same cottage as last time I was very disappointed to find out that the same issues I related to Diana in my first stay about the stain in the bathroom was still there? really? when a guest gives you constructive comment you as a hotel need to follow up and complete the task. Most of all take it seriously otherwise other guests will complaint about it. That's why you have maintenance people working there to do their job. But other than that I had a good stay. This is a nice hotel overall. I took pictures I will be posting soon.

Room Tip: Most rooms are nice and updated with flat screen tvs and very clean rooms.