“Pleasantly surprised”

Stargazer Inn and Suites
Ranked #52 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night en-route down the PCH. Both rooms were spacious and clean. Front desk were helpful and accommodating. Request for quiet room was honoured and we all slept well, which is always a priority. Well placed for sightseeing. Breakfast was adequate.
Monterey itself, a little 'fairgroundish' and disappointing. Not much old charm to be found.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank 186338Jmd
There are newer reviews for Stargazer Inn and Suites

Reviewed April 6, 2014

I stayed at this hotel on March 11 for several nights and I like it the first three nights I was there. The bed was very nicely made and comfortable. The room was cleaned and organized. I had a cottage room right behind the front desk office. it has a small patio with one chair but nothing special. The inn has a heated pool and Jacuzzi which is nice. When I first swam in the pool I got my eyes stingy because of so much chlorine in the pool but recovered the next day. The room had deficiencies such as a big stain in the bathroom wall right next to the toilet which I informed the front desk agent Diana. The Jacuzzi jet were not working at all after I was told it had jets. I was disappointed. The cabinets in the bathroom are outdated and kind of gross. The breakfast is not as nice as the one right next door which is quality inn. They should have a microwave in the breakfast room so guests can heat up their milk as I like to heat up mine. When I asked the breakfast attendant to heat up my milk she was rude and said "no we don't have microwave here" without going out of her way and finding other ways to please a guest. This is not customer service at all to me. They need to change this practices. Overall I like the inn which is rare to say. However when I revisited Clarion on march 20 and stayed in the same cottage as last time I was very disappointed to find out that the same issues I related to Diana in my first stay about the stain in the bathroom was still there? really? when a guest gives you constructive comment you as a hotel need to follow up and complete the task. Most of all take it seriously otherwise other guests will complaint about it. That's why you have maintenance people working there to do their job. But other than that I had a good stay. This is a nice hotel overall. I took pictures I will be posting soon.

Room Tip: Most rooms are nice and updated with flat screen tvs and very clean rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Armando C
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My family wanted to stay in a hotel with an indoor pool. Monterey doesn't have many hotels with an indoor pool feature. Their pool was fabulous! It was very warm, and my girls loved it! The room was decent, felt a little cramped. The pool made our stay worthwhile though. We will definitely stay again if we are traveling with the kids.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We made a reservation for a King deluxe, checked in and went to look at our room. It was quite large and furniture was positioned funny and the room also had a wall bed. Very functional, but not right for us. We asked if there were other rooms available for the night. The front office staff was very accommodating and found us several rooms to look at. We opted for a double queen which had a lovely feel, was in the back of the property, and had a fireplace. Remodeled bathroom and comfy beds, flat screen tv and had real glasses, usually places in this price category give you paper cups. The indoor pool was very clean and was heated. Didn't have issues with too much chlorine! Jacuzzi was hot. I'm not much for continental breakfasts as I need protein in the mornings and don't eat sugar. For the price of the room on a Sunday Night, we'd stay again. .

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are much quieter. If you don't like you're room, ask to see another as th...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Nice remodeled bathrooms, coffemakers in the room, decent free breakfast, clean and comfy beds, and an indoor saltwater hot tub. What a deal for a stay in Monterey! Loved the location for our work in pebble beach too. Less than a mile to hwy 1 entrance.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Not sure why this place gets lousy reviews. Here was our experience and we stayed here twice in a week in two different rooms due to some last minute changes we made to our vacation schedule and opted to come back here because we really liked it !

1) Staff was friendly and available
2) Room was clean and a decent size for a motel room, bed was comfortable, nice flat tv screen, wifi worked well
3) Continental breakfast was usual with muffins, sweet rolls, waffles, biscuits and gravy, cereals, milk, orange jiuce, some fruit. You could eat inside or out. Every morning it was packed.
4) Pool was warm. spa was hot. Towels for the pool provided at the front desk
5) Walking distance from Fisherman's Wharf and Cannery Row

We'd stay again !

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Stayed here as a cheaper alternative to the expensive hotels in fisherman's wharf as I had stayed in clarion hotels before with no problem. This is nothing like any clarion hotel I ever stayed at before - this is nothing more than a road side motel.
Positive
It is cheap and a great base for exploring Carmel and monterey.
Negative
Avoid breakfast (disgusting), tv not working in room, very slow internet, no security, kids came out of pool after 10 minutes due to their eyes stinging with very high chlorine content, no laundry etc etc
Very poor avoid!