“a little gem in Monterey”

Stargazer Inn and Suites
Ranked #45 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed April 22, 2011

First stayed hear 7 years ago and great to see that it has not changed.
The motel is well looked after,helpfull staff ,great swimming pool and hot tub.
plenty of free parking i can only say how i love this place.

Room Tip: down stairs court yard
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 26, 2011

Clarion? Hotel? Not really. This place would be more like Choice's Econolodge at best. More like a MOtel or motor inn with outside entrances (I like) and courtyard. But typical of the rest of the joints on this strip, like the Quality Inn next door.

I wanted a room with whirlpool tub. Room was very small, partly due to what the tub took up. Tub worked fine and lots of hot water. Bathroom just had shower. Queen bed took up most of the rest of it. It was comfy. HVAC unit worked fine, rattled a bit. 25" tube TV, not many channels, no news or weather. Wireless internet was fine. Room was clean except for some stains & ripping of the carpet. Doing what they can with what they have.

I went to find the business center advertised on Choice's website. None. But the desk lady let me use the computer and printer in the office to print my boarding pass. Thanks! The clerk at check in was nice too, gave me some pointers on sight seeing.

Looked at the pool/hot tub area. Looked a bit old. Breakfast had biscuits & gravy and waffles plus the usual cold stuff. Only a few tables plus one outside so unless the joint is about empty like it was for me, don't expect to sit down anywhere.

For the low off season price and the competition, this place is fine. Just don't go there expecting a hotel or a place up to the Clarion level. I see prices have about doubled for spring break season which makes it less of a value. But again, the competition along Munras Ave probably isn't any better.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 16, 2010

We were surprised that our double queen room was actually a 1 bedroom suite. Hotel room was very nice and the grounds are quaint. The indoor pool was just okay. Skip the continental breakfast and go down the street to Denny's.

Overall I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2010

This was not a leisure or business trip. Sadly we have a relative dying in the hospital next door. This is a fine place to get all the basics for around $60/night. Breakfast has no protein at all so I usually skipped it but it's a short walk to a Whole Foods and a Mall with several (chain) restaurants and one decent bar. The room had a decent sized Fridge and a Microwave. There was both wired and wireless internet free. I only used the wired and it was great. I read some reviews complaining about smells and thin walls but hey, it's a bargain hotel and seemed clean enough to me and nobody bothered me. No bugs or dirty bathroom problems. I come here a lot and will probably stay here again next time.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I wasn't sure about this hotel from the reviews, but we loved it. We stay 2 nights and had a room with a queen bed, king bed and a full kitchen. The staff was very nice. Breakfast was decent. The room was clean and was serviced by the maid daily. The grounds were well kept and clean and there was plenty of parking. The bathroom was a bit small for 4 people, but other than that we had plenty of room for all us. The pool and the spa were clean and refreshing. It was close to cannery row, the aquarium, fisherman's wharf , beach and the seals. We had a great time and would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 17, 2010

We stayed here for 1 night and was pleasantly surprised. The room had all the amenities you would expect and very comfortable.

The pool was one of the best pools that we had used in the various other hotels we had stayed in around California.

The Receptionist was very helpful and gave us great advise on things to do and things to see on the Big sur.

The hotel provided a very good breakfast and a paper, which I enjoyed.

Highly recommend a take away pizza from the Del Monte Shopping centre and The fisherman's wharf was good. You can go on Whale watching trips from there and even an interesting Pirate shop for the kids.

The London Bridge Pub also looked good.

The only downside to the hotel is that I could see that parking might be a slight problem when busy, but that would only mean having to park further away than you would wish. I also wouldn't say it was walkabout into Monterey and I'm not sure what the Public Transport is like.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I read the reviews of this place over and over and was a little apprehensive about booking a room. But when it came down to it, we wanted Monterey with a romantic jacuzzi suite at a price that wouldn't break us. I'm reviewing the beautiful Honeymoon Suite we stayed in; it was all we wanted and definitely exceeded our expectations. The website does not do this suite justice. I've stayed in hotels from 1 star to 5, and this room is up there with some of the 4's. It's not modern or chic, but has a romantic charm. It was larger than my master bedroom at home and nothing beats an in room jacuzzi that fits at least 2. We swam in the indoor pool, which was also a nice bonus.

Our opinion is that the suite was SWEET. The hotel is not a "Palace" hotel so don't expect that. It's a decent priced hotel that resembles a motel with a clean indoor pool and jacuzzi and clean rooms, staff was pleasant, and the continental breakfast was free, so why complain??? If you want eggs, sausage, or omelettes, you’ll need to look elsewhere were you will pay for that…Only thing I want them to improve is the TV and the channels. The TV was old and it took us a minute to figure out how the dvd player worked with the TV and there’s only 20 channels…But does that really need to be improved? Get out and enjoy beautiful Monterey and come back to a place as relaxing as home.

Overall, we will always try to reserve this suite first when visiting Monterey. We also browsed through the regular rooms (right before we checked out) to determine if we would consider them and they appeared to be stay worthy only if the suite was not available.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple