“In the heart of Cannery Row”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Spindrift Inn

Spindrift Inn
Ranked #2 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Alameda, California
“In the heart of Cannery Row”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

Somehow, during my couple of previous trips to Monterey, I'd never ventured into the two-block stretch of Cannery Row where the Spindrift is located. I booked the hotel because of its great reviews on TripAdvisor, and the fact that we were able to get a really good midweek rate. I got the less expensive "Cannery Row view," and I have to say that if I ever stay here again, I will NOT cheap out. Get the ocean view!! Cannery Row is noisy, with trucks lumbering by at all hours. Luckily, the windows must be double paned because it was surprisingly quiet in the room once we closed the doors to our little balcony. Seriously, pay the extra money for the ocean view rooms. And be aware that the inn is on a boardwalk-like stretch of street with loads of fudge and T-shirt shops. Pluses: the room service continental breakfast, included; sauna & fireplace in the room, though we didn't use either (would be nice for a winter getaway); soft, comfy bed; easy walking distance to the aquarium, so if that's on your list, the Spindrift is definitely worth considering. Also, if you're interested in a spa, the Body Suite is only a couple blocks away and much more affordable than the fancy hotel spas.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (623)
  • Korean first
Lafayette, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

Being greeted upon your return from roaming the wharf by hearing "welcome home" and a warm smile is such a warm touch. To enjoy a flickering fire as you doze off and awaken to soothing flames as you sip your coffee and nibble a breakfast that was delivered to your room is such a luxury and enjoyable experience. Hope to go back someday!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

My sister and I were on a road trip to San Francisco and thought we needed to break up the long distance from San Diego so we stayed at the Spindrift. Front desk was wonderful and helpful with all our requests.
We loved our room and the bed was so cozy.
We both decided we would bring our hubby's back to this romantic Inn.
Loved the town with all the shopping and great food right next door.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank lolaSD
Sacramento
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

I was visiting my son in Monterey and I spent one day at this hotel with my daughter and we both just loved it. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. The room was fantastic and more like a room one would find in a bed and breakfast than a hotel. We had a corner room with windows on both sides. The fireplace was great as was the wine and cheese upon checking into the hotel. The staff was exceptionally friendly. I really loved this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank pulidoc
West Islip, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

The Spindrift Inn is a comfortable, friendly, and romantic place to stay. But it promises much more. The Inn website grandly announces that the “Spindrift Inn stakes its claim as one of the most luxurious hotels on the California coastline”. This stretches the truth. If you are looking for a four or five star resort experience, stay somewhere else.

The oceanfront rooms have gorgeous views across Monterey Bay. From my window at the Spindrift, I happily watched seals sunning themselves on rocks, aquatic birdlife swooping about, and first-time kayakers trying frantically not to drown. Do not even consider staying here without an oceanfront view. (On the other hand, all that wildlife gets quite noisy, especially at dawn when the critters enthusiastically greet the sunrise. Unless you want an early morning wake-up call courtesy of the Monterey Bay fauna, be sure to close your windows before retiring.)

The Spindrift’s location has pluses and minuses. Smack in the center of Cannery Row it is within walking distance of many of the things that pass for tourist attractions in Monterey. The Inn is also conveniently located on the Monterey recreation path, so runners, bikers, and walkers can get their fix with splendid ocean views along the way. However Cannery Row itself is a wretched tourist trap with clusters of fat people, the folks who imagine that a vacation consists of eating stuff and buying things, lumbering around looking for their next ice cream cone. One of those vile Gubba Bump sugarcoated shellfish pits is just three doors down from the Spindrift. Right next door Ghirardelli is pumping the distinctive aroma of Duncan Hines chocolate cake batter into the street as a lure to foraging fatties. (My dearest and I differed over whether the smell was Devils Food or German Chocolate, but you get the point.) If you can live with this clamor and smell each time you enter or exit the Inn, fine. Otherwise you might want to consider some of the gracious looking properties in nearby Pacific Grove.

The room was comfortably furnished, with lots of nice amenities, such as a well equipped bar, spa-quality robes, a coffee maker, extra mirrors in the bathrooms, and binoculars by the window so you can have a close up view if the harbor seals get frisky. However, it was not a five star room. There was no sofa or loveseat from which to enjoy the harbor view. While the bed was comfortable, the sheets were not Egyptian cotton. The artwork was cheap. The shower lacked a hand-spray or an adjustable shower-head. Minor things, but together they add up to a room that falls short of my standards.

Assorted annoyances:

(1) The preachy signs trying to guilt me into reusing towels and sheets so as to save Monterey’s “precious” water resources. People!!! You are on the Pacific Ocean. If you have a water shortage, build another desalinization plant. If you want me to reuse my towels and sheets, offer me a discount reflecting the savings in your linen budget. Otherwise, I suspect that you care more about cutting your linen bill than saving the planet. To make my point, each morning I piled all the linens into the bathtub and then, for good measure, ran water on them.

(2) The desk staff are friendly in that gushing, enthusiastic but entirely superficial California way. They were very helpful in providing directions and suggesting restaurants. But, when faced with a more challenging situation, they sometimes responded with blank stares. One morning I struggled to wrench open the Inn’s front door while balancing several Starbucks in my arms. I am quite sure they saw me, but their bottoms remained comfortably glued to their chairs. I ended up with coffee on my blouse.

(3) Only people who buy their groceries at CVS would think the cheese served in the lobby each day from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm is even remotely “gourmet”.

(4) The Inn does not provide room service. A complimentary breakfast tray is available. Two drawbacks: first, the tray includes little more than coffee and a roll. Second, and more painfully, if you want the tray you must hang a notice on your door the night before specifying a delivery time. When I am on vacation I sleep until I wake up, and then call room service for a breakfast that usually includes a Bloody Mary. Invite someone to barge into my room at a pre-set time? Without a Bloody Mary?? Unlikely.

(5) The lobby décor is garish. I know how my neighbors would talk if I decorated my living room with statues of dancing pygmies, but maybe in California the rules are different.

These are small complaints. None of them stopped me from having a pleasant and relaxing stay at the Inn.

For a lovely afternoon while you are in Monterey, take the Reservation Road exit off Highway 1. Follow Reservation Road through Marina and remain on it after its passes under Route 68 and turns into River Road. The views across Salinas croplands are expansive. While on River Road stop at the following wineries: Marilyn Remark Winery for super Syrah and Rhone blends, Passagno Winery for pleasant Pinot Noir, and Manzoni Vineyard for better Pinot Noir. Finish your trip at Hahn Estates, which offers a wide selection of wines and, even better, a large patio halfway up the mountainside with tables and spectacular views across the Salinas Valley. The perfect picnic spot on a sunny day! The tasting rooms often open only on weekends, so check their hours before setting out and make sure you arrive at Hahn Estate with plenty of time to enjoy their wines and patio.

Monterey dining fell short of my expectations. The Sardine Factory is over-rated and overpriced. I have decided that their signature abalone dish is not kosher. The seafood was better at C Restaurant + Bar in the Intercontinental Hotel on Cannery Row, but it had the soulless feel of a prefab slightly edgy, slightly corporate hotel theme restaurant fresh out of the plastic wrapper. Given the unacceptable breakfast arrangements at Spindrift, I tested several breakfast options. My favorite: Woody’s Bayview Grill in Pacific Grove, with a first rate chicken fried steak in country gravy and well made omelettes – even more yummy if you ask for extra Monterey Jack cheese!

2 Thank tarrytown54
Orlando, Fl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

This hotel is absolutely adorable! Located on Canery Row in Monterey, it is conveniently located for walking to Fisherman's Wharf and close to many restaurants & touristy type shops. The lobby is small, but with a very nice fireplace & a couple of couches to relax in during evening wine. Marlene, who works the desk in the lobby, is a wealth of information and a great resource for suggestions and to answer questions.
The rooms are also some what small, but very cozy with window seats, canopy beds (very comfy) and high back chairs situated in front of the fire place.
Continential breakfast is ordered the evening before & delivered directly to your room at no additional charge. A very nice touch.
The overall experience at this hotel was perfect for a romantic get-away.

2 Thank Jenrainey
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

We found the hotel exceeded our expectations, and besides being a great location
it was fun just to sit in the room and take in the cove.
Being a little unsteady I would have liked to see a grab rail at elbow level in the
shower/bath and a volume control for the shower but other that that the room had
everything we would want or need. haveing the fireplace was a nice late evening
touch.