“Yes, they should do better”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Spindrift Inn

Spindrift Inn
Ranked #2 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
“Yes, they should do better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2006

I agree with much of the comments by the "You can do Better" author earlier.

The area is very touristy, which doesn't interest me. However, the aquarium is less than 5 minutes away on foot and is uniformly excellent. A must -see.

Check in was OK. We faced the street which was noisy on Sat night. Ocean view probably quieter, but about $100 more per night.

The room was better than OK. Size is more than adequate. Fireplace is a nice touch. Bath is a bit dated, but size is OK. Windows need replacement.

Eat at the Sardine Factory. 5 minutes walk. Very good food and service. Not a tourist place, despite the name.

Parking is $16, with unlimited acccess.

On balance, a bit overpriced.

• Stayed August 2006
6 Thank 886886

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (623)
  • Korean first
Safety Harbor, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2006

We only stayed one night, but we wish it could've been more. Prior to arrival I informed the hotel it was our anniversary. Once we arrived, they welcomed us with a glass of wine and then promptly upgraded us to ocean view (it was a Monday night and not very busy). A nice start.

The room was average size with hardwood floors, and a nice bay window right above the shoreline below. With the windows open, the waves are literally crashing right beneath you. The bed was a feather-top with a partial canopy. The bathroom was somewhat dated, but included Aveda toiletries which my wife loved. We dined at Sardine Factory, and upon return there was a half bottle of wine and an anniversary card waiting in the room. A very nice touch! Before turning in for the night, we selected our complimentary room service breakfast on the door hanger card (which is included with all rooms). It was delivered on time and very tasty.

As with most places in Monterey, the Spindrift is not cheap. However, the location is great and the staff seems to go the extra mile to ensure a memorable stay. It's possible we got special treatment b/c it was a Monday night, but even without the ocean view and wine, it still would've been nice.

• Liked — Location, Charm, Staff
  • Disliked — Somewhat Dated Bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't miss the aquarium
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank L6Traveler
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2006

I booked this hotel through American Express Centurion, so I had very high exspectations given that it is part of their Fine Hotels & Resorts program. Upon pulling up to the hotel, it is apparent that it is in a VERY touristy area. The Cannery Row buildings are full of gift shops, bad art galleries, and the like-- very akin to what one would find at a cruise ship port of call. As we arrived later in the afternoon and departed the next day, the aquarium, which looked very nice, was closed.

Check in-
We pulled up to the hotel, and there were no valets or bellmen out to greet us. I left my girlfriend in the car to watch our things and went inside to check in. Not a very good start. The lobby is small and doesnt look like its been updated since the mid 80s. The attendent who checked me in was in all likelyhood the most unpleasant Ive encountered (and I stay in alot of 5 star hotels for business). Being that I was on the Centurion plan- breakfast, 4 pm checkout, a special amenity, and a room upgrade are included. When I asked about the upgrade, I was told that I would not be able to get an ocean or partial ocean view. She informed me it was their policy not to upgrade out of room category, ie city view to nicer city view, ocean view to nicer ocean view. This was astouding given that the hotel was not nearly full. It just comes across as bad customer service. I had thought that it was because we are a younger couple and given the glowing reviews, it really makes me mad as it sort of proves this. The other thing that really bugged me, and this was an operational problem, was that the front desk clerk insisted that I tell her at 2pm when we were going to dinner, so that she could fill out our voucher (more on the dinner itself later). When we're on vacation, unless its a destination restaurant that you need reservations for months in advance, I really like to play it by ear. We dont at all like being tied to being somewhere at a specific time like that when we're trying to relax. Ultimately, I had to begrudgingly give a time to her.

The room-
The room was very OK. The furnishings were very beachy- fun and it played into the area well. The bathroom itself is VERY small and definitely not of a 5 star standard. The shower head also looked as if it had not been changed in 10 years. The bed was comfortable, but there are better linens and pillows at a Westin. The fireplace was a nice touch and wood was readily available. The worst thing about it is that there is no air conditioning. We were visiting in late June and it was about 85-90 degrees. If we had an oceanview or even partial this would not have been a problem, but being that we were facing the street, there was no breeze at all. Couple this with the fact that we had a balcony, so there were only doors-- no windows. We did not feel safe leaving the doors to our low hanging balcony open for ventilation all night, given that the street below did really seem very safe at night. It was sweltering in the room.

Restaurant-
This was the saving grace of the whole experience, and ironically it wasnt even part of the Inn! The special amenity that the Spindrift provides if you are on the Centurion plan is a $100 certificate to the Sardine Factory Restaurant-- a short 5 min walk from the hotel. We had basically eaten through San Francisco the few nights before, so we thought we would relax and just have a light snack and bottle of wine at the bar. This was no problem at all (as I would have exspected it to be if the restaurant was run by the Spindrift Inn). The restaurant is really wonderful with a great wine selection-- it is not at all touristy as the surrounding area and its name would suggest.

We also headed down to the Monterey Plaza Hotel for drinks overlooking the ocean at their Scooner's Bar. Really nice.

Service-
Service is where I think the value in this place really disapears. They charge Ritz Carlton/Four Seasons prices, but dont deliver at all. And yes, I know that this is a quaint Inn and should be treated differently, but it all comes down to value for me. Dont get me wrong, this is a nice place, but its $130-160 a night nice, not $240+. Given that the area is very touristy, I wouldnt consider coming back to Monterey any time room. It simply isnt conducive to romance. There are too many other full service hotels that have on property restaurants, spas, and the like in the immediate vicinity to spend like we did at the Spindrift.

• Liked — Restaurant credit to Sardine Factory
  • Disliked — Attitude of staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Book with AMEX and at least get the added perks, without them I would have left early
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
14 Thank princeton12321
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2006

My wife and I stayed in room 402 (ocean view) for two nights, and we were very pleased with the hotel. Our room had a king-sized canopy bed with a very comfortable mattress, linens, and comforter. The bay window had two large panes that partially opened and allowed good views of the beach, kelp beds, and ocean. The hotel-provided binoculars allowed us to view sea otters playing off-shore. We left the windows open at night so we could fall asleep to the sound of waves lapping on the beach. We were worried about all-night parties, but the crowds left around 9 pm, so all we heard was the ocean. The fireplace took the chill out of the night air and made for romantic evenings. A glazed skylight that faced the bay window (not the bed) provided a gentle illumination in the morning and helped rouse us from sleep. Rather ironically, the alarm clock had a "surf sounds" setting, but we preferred to open the windows and hear the real thing. The hotel has a roof-top patio with lounge chairs, and we went up to see the 4th of July fireworks that were launched from Fisherman's Wharf. Being able to see the fireworks and then get back to our room within minutes was a special treat. We would have been stuck in traffic for hours if we had gone down to the Wharf. The hotel is located in the heart of Cannery Row so we could walk to the shops, restaurants, and the Monterey Aquarium. We took a long walk along the coast, looking for sea otters, but all of them were way out in the kelp. In another ironic twist, we got back to the hotel to see a mother sea otter and pup playing just outside our window. We enjoyed the continental breakfast delivered to our room, but we didn't make it down to the wine and cheese social. The staff were always available, pleasant, and helpful.

What's not to like? The hotel is expensive and you are required to pay $16/day for valet parking since the hotel has no parking lot. Even ice is delivered to your room, causing me to feel every request required a tip. Internet access also requires an extra fee. But if you are looking for a romantic get-away, the pluses far outweigh the minuses. We will definitely go back to the Spindrift.

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank Raptor4007
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2006

Our room in this hotel was simply amazing - the best we have ever stayed in (we always stay 4 or 5* so this was good!). The bed was the most comfortable we have EVER slept in (goose-down feather bedding apparently) and the room itself was just so relaxing. The sound of the ocean lapping up on the beach below our window and the smell of our log fire burning were quite a heavenly combination.

We would most definitely stay here again and strongly recommend it to anyone visiting Monterey.

Our only negative remark relates to Monterey itself - it was a little more tacky / touristy than we'd anticipated - go walking along the pretty coastline and get out of the town centre.

5 Thank london100
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2006

We stayed in an ocean view room (305) for only one night, but it was wonderful. The room's view, exceptionally comfortable bed and wood-burning fireplace made leaving the hotel difficult. We enjoyed the social hour (4-6) with very nice wine and a variety of cheese. Breakfast is brought to your room, so we enjoyed it in the nice bathrobes while sitting in two large chairs in front of the fire. The room's binoculars were handy to spot the many seals and otters playing in the water. The large, canopied king bed had a featherbed on the mattress and down comforters delivered in the evening. This may have been the nicest room we've stayed in, and we've stayed in many. The staff was friendly, helpful, and always available.

Stayed June 2006
4 Thank dine4fun11
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Spindrift Inn for one night in April. The room (room 307) was absolutely beautiful. We had a King room with a deluxe ocean view. The only thing I had wanted was to open up my windows and be able to hear the ocean as I went to sleep. My expectations were surpassed. I was hypnotized by the view and the sound of the ocean was completely amazing. There were so many details in our room from the woodburning fireplace (if you follow the directions and put on only one log or 2 small the smoke will not be noticeable), bathrobes in the room, hardwood floors, down to the wine and fruit that was left for us with a card saying Happy Anniversary. The beds were also incredible.
I did find that the bathtubs themselves were very small not great for a soaking bath and the elevator had some issues but since it was a short walk using the outside stairs we didn't bother with the elevator. I agree with someone who said the staff was curteous but did not go out of their way. But then again, we didn't need them for anything the room had all we wanted. All in all a great place to stay. At least on the ocean view side. I could see how the street side would be loud. Treat yourself to great experience, pay a little more and get an ocean view. I would without a doubt stay again.

• Stayed April 2006