“Charming!”
Review of Spindrift Inn

Spindrift Inn
Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I booked this hotel (and was lucky to get a room) as a last minute decision through the trip advisor app. When I pulled up to the hotel, everyone was so helpful. We were exhausted from driving from LA through Big Sur to get to Monterey and the hotel staff was more than helpful.

The woman working at the front desk was happy and kind as she checked us in and helped us with valeting our car. She gave us advice on the best places to grab a quick dinner in the event we did not want to order anything from room service. She happily answered all our questions and checked us in.

The room was adorable. The was a wonderful bench by the windows that overlooked Cannery Row and a sitting area with a fireplace. This fireplace was so nice as it was quite cold the night I was there. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was large and nice. The hotel itself was very quiet.

The only complaint I would have is that the water smelled like sulfur and was very soft. Other than that, everything was great! It is in a wonderful location on the historic Cannery Row. I would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the bay if you can!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,021)

Reviewed August 10, 2013

If you're staying in Monterey then I wouldn't look any further than the Spindrift, unless your hotel preference is for modern, trendy rooms and service. This place is super-cosy, feels family-run from the moment you step inside, and is so steeped in nostalgia that you could be forgiven for thinking you'd stepped back in time.

This isn't a bad thing at all. This is the kind of hotel that reminded me of taking vacations as a child. The Cannery Row location is perfect for the aquarium (which, aside from the glut of tourist shops on the main strip, is about all there is), and we found the staff both informative about the local area and extremely accommodating. We were probably the youngest guests there, but this place is definitely skewed towards more mature guests and families, which is perfectly in keeping with its setting. The Intercontinental down the road just seemed to stick out a bit too much in Monterey. It's an old school town with an abundance of charm, and the Spindrift perfectly mirrored this. I would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Ideally sea facing, although a corner room looking out to Cannery Row is also very nice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank B3nnyDubai
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife and I spent a getaway from home weekend at Spindrift. We are local and sometimes it's nice to just get out of the house and off the ranch. The decor of the Inn is a throwback to an earlier time, not completely antique, but a nice blend of what Monterey was in the 1950s and what it has been at both earlier and more modern times. The canopy bed was nicely dressed and the furniture on the comfy side. The featherbed was slightly soft to our preference, but it's warmth allowed for open window on the the balcony. If you like seals and seabirds, which can be a bit noisy at night, stay on the ocean side of the hotel. If you prefer a bit of the hustle and bustle, the Cannery Row side gets quiet about 1:00 a.m. The thick glazing on the balcony windows and doors can mute all of that sound if preferred. I used to play music on Cannery Row, so the night sounds were both familiar and comfortable. The staff were kind and the inroom breakfast was good, although the water for tea originally came warm instead of hot. They replaced it. The lobby staff are reminiscent of my older aunts from my childhood, kind, knowledgable and a tiny bit like the furniture, older, but comfy......

Room Tip: Ocean views are very good, on a clear day, you can easily see across the bay to Moss Landing. Canne...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Gorgeous hotel with amazing views. Great location for families.
Be warned there is not on-site parking. I felt that at $500+ a room the parking should be included. The options are $20 for valet parking, or take your chances feeding the parking meter on the street.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Richard S
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The Spindrift Inn deserves the great reviews posted here. Our family arrived around 6pm after a long, tiring day of driving and sightseeing. We were greeted by Amy at the reception desk and she couldn't have been nicer. We had 2 great rooms, each facing the bay with huge windows and window seats with comfy cushions and pillows. As soon as you walk into the room and see the view, you will feel stress free. The rooms are quite large and have a cozy/comfy seating area and fireplace (wish it had been cool enough to use it). The bathroom had all high quality products (towels were a little rough, though). Continental breakfast in bed was included, as was internet access. The room was quiet. Too bad we were only there one night.

Room Tip: If you can, get a room facing the bay.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
IOM-ManagerResponse, General Manager at Spindrift Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you kindly for your glowing review of the Spindrift Inn. Our goal is always to create a stress-free environment with the comforts of classic European style and beautiful ocean views. I’m glad that Amy was so welcoming – I know that our staff are one of the many aspects of our hotel that set us apart, and I’m happy to share your response with her. Thank you for making us your hotel of choice, and I look forward to welcoming you back.

- The General Manager

Reviewed August 8, 2013

The hotel is quite beautiful inside, with gorgeous rooms replete with fireplace, quality bedding, private saunas in the bathrooms and ambient lighting, a wine and cheese tasting service in the elegant lobby both afternoons we were there and an excellent breakfast brought to your room each morning by staff. The valet service is quite good, the staff were more than accommodating and the Spindrift has a sense of romance that's rare among the hotels or inns I've stayed in. That said, it's in the heart of Monterey's Cannery Row, which feels like the geographical center of Tourism Hell. Never having stayed in Monterey before, much less on the main drag, I didn't know this when I booked, and will definitely look for lodgings in Carmel the next time I return. While it boasts a location nearby the Aquarium, be forewarned before attempting to enter that place on a weekend day; it was mobbed with families, making it virtually impossible to enjoy the exhibits while tripping over baby carriages, small children and mobs of amateur photographers in the dark flashing cameras and blocking any reasonable views of the stunning sea creatures on view there. We did return to the aquarium after 6 pm one night, and it made all the difference in getting to enjoy the incredible sea creatures on view in relative peace and quiet, without hordes of loud, gawking tourists with children in tow. You have been warned...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Filmish1
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We had a fantastic view of the bay with plenty of seals and sea otters right outside our room. The room was very nicely furnished with a cosy sitting area by the huge window overlooking the bay. On top of this, the service was excellent, as was the location in Monterey (close to everything). I would love to return to this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Ann,

Thank you for your kind review of the Spindrift Inn. I’m proud that our hotel can offer stunning views of the Bay, where our guests can spot sea otters and other wildlife just outside their rooms. From the comfortable chairs and the lush feather bedding to our phenomenal staff, offering comfort and excellent service is my highest priority. I can’t wait to welcome you back on your next trip to Monterey Bay.

- The General Manager