We have been to the Spindrift Hotel in Monterey beginning of August.
Monterey in July-August (I learned that on site) is just like Wales in October : very cool and foggy (tourists should know that I think to avoid surprises, as the area is great anyway).
The hotel itself is just what we expected after having selected it in Tripadvisor's list of the 10 most romantic hotels in the US.
Just like for a good cigar or an expensive brandy, you have to prepare the action. As the hotel is just breakfast-in-the-morning-at-your-room, I suggest that you do the following :
- Buy one (or two...) bottles of good wine from Napa Valley (either from the local wine shop or directly on site, north of SF !)
- When arriving to Monterey, stop in Salinas valley or Hollister or even the Central valley if you have the opportunity to go through it, and buy a good selection of those gorgeous California fruits at a local farmers market, they are just great.
When you arrive at Monterey, again, be prepared. This summer : Salinas 110F, Monterey (2à miles to the west), 55F...But this is, finally, where lies the secret !
The hotel is right on Cannery Row (yes it is ! John Steinbeck, here we are !). Small but very welcoming lobby, nice people, I strongly recommand the Valet parking facility at roughly 20 $.
Then you get into your room. Have a walk around Cannery row, visit the aquarium, go around this fantastic California coast, etc. (Big Sur, Carmel). Return in the evening. Eat at one of the nearby restaurants, all are very good.
Imagine : cool, breezy, and foggy outside. You are staying in a large bedroom, you can't see the Pacific Ocean but you ear and smell it as your room has a great bow window over the beach right under the wall of the hotel.
You have a very nice fire (that you lit yourself), chanting and cracking in your personal fireplace, you sample a good glass of that wine, together with those gorgeous fruits...Enjoy ! (and maybe read some of John Steinbeck or perhaps, Henry Miller's best pages...)
Wuthering Heights ? No ! California romanticism...
I definitely recommand this hotel for couples (less easy for families I think). Very good selection by you Tripadvisor guys !
Must know : great bed linen, breakfast included (continental), roomy bedrooms. PLEASE ask for an ocean view (more expensive, but Wowwh !). Use the Valet Parking, Cannery Row can be extremely packed, specially at the peak season, and the guys are very helpful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the heart of Cannery Row, directly on the beach, Spindrift Inn offers an atmosphere of romance, elegance and gracious hospitality. The Inn's distinctive two-story lobby, with its hand-tiled floors, Oriental carpets, charming antiques, original art, and wood-burning fireplace, invites quiet conversation or private reflection. The 45 comfortable, luxurious rooms-half with breathtaking ocean views-are uniquely decorated and include wood-burning fireplaces, down comforters, feather beds, honor bars, TVs, CD & DVD players, wireless internet connection, marble baths and window seats or private balconies. Complimentary silver-tray continental breakfast is served in-room, & an afternoon wine and cheese reception is held daily. Valet parking is available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick and HotelQuickly so you can book your Spindrift Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Spindrift Hotel Monterey