“Excellent”

Monterey Bay Inn
Ranked #5 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 6, 2006

Just as others have said - cheap - clean - nice - pleasant - Tricia at desk extremely helpful - quiet - very happy to stay there and recommend to others.

6  Thank muzzmashe
Write a ReviewReviews (1,655)

Reviewed January 9, 2006

This was my second stay at Monterey Bay Inn. The hotel has been nearly completely renovated since I was last there about 5 years ago. Everything is clean and very nice although they kept the shower/tub combos in the bathroom, which are IMO a little outdated look out of place amidst all the other upgrades.

Anyway, as on my previous stay, the setting is fantastic. We stayed in one of the rooms that is directly over the water. You can hear the waves all night long, and binoculars are provided for spotting sea otters, seals, etc. It is worth paying the extra to stay on the end right over the harbor. Hotel staff are all very friendly and quick to respond to requests for extra tea or coffee, etc.

• Stayed: January 2006
24  Thank RaleighLady
Reviewed October 27, 2005

I loved the sound of the waves off the balcony, I found it very relaxing. We were able to walk to just about everything, the location is great, no need to take the car. One of the best bathrooms I have seen in hotels, large with plenty of lights. A bowl of apples in the lobby was a nice little touch. I grabbed one every day. Staff was friendly and helpful so were the other guests, always saying hello as we passed in the hall. It was away from the noise and crowds so that made it very peaceful. I didn't want to leave. Many fond memories of Monterey!

• Stayed: October 2005
15  Thank katelyn
Reviewed October 15, 2005

We stayed at The Monterey Bay Inn this past Thursday. When we were approaching the hotel, I was a little put off by the outward apperance of the hotel. BUT...We were impressed with the lobby, the staff and the room. Even the groundsman was very friendly. Our room had a lovely featherbed, comfy pillows, NICE bathroom, everything!!!! The best part of the stay was that it was extremly quiet. It had a pretty nice view of the harbor, not of the "ocean/harbor" view I paid for. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: October 2005
21  Thank octavia116
Reviewed September 24, 2005

My husband and I recently stayed here for 3 nights to enjoy Cannery Row, 17-mile drive, Carmel and the wineries after staying at a quaint B&B in Napa for 4 nights. The hotel location is good -- walking distance to Cannery Row and walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf and Coastguard Pier. The front desk was very very helpful! Extremely courteous service always, and I was impressed. Our room was absolutely lovely. Huge bath, nice room, very classy. AND a small balcony that overlooked the ocean with two chairs and a small glass table with a live potted geranium. Very nice touch. Nice amenities with a small continental breakfast served to you each morning. Was on-time each day. I would definitely stay there again, altho is is a bit pricey ($250 + $13 parking). Also, we were not aware that the Bay could make so much noise splashing against the rocks and hotel building...so be aware, it is loud at night when you're trying to sleep (take earplugs). Overall, yes, we'd go back, and it's very very nice!

Stayed: September 2005
17  Thank tcchampagne
Reviewed September 14, 2005

We stayed here for the first time and it exceeded all expectations. Price $149.00 + $13.00 a night parking. Great location equal easy walking distance from the Wharf or the Aquarium. Lobby was very nice, inside hallways were carpeted and elegant.King size featherbed was great, I would say the room alone was as good as any I have stayed in. Large bathroom and many amenities. Don't miss the hot tub on the roof, robes and towels, and binoculars provided. I guess if I paid $289.00 a night maybe I would be looking for more, but this was great.

Also you do not have to shell out for that water front room. We got the park view which also overlooks the bay quite clearly. Staff was friendly and helpful. No problems.

• Stayed: September 2005
14  Thank tojoe72
A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed September 6, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Monterey Bay Inn over Labor Day weekend (September 3-5). I chose it based on tripadvisor reviews, and was completely happy with the choice.

The MBI is in a great location- right on Cannery Row within walking distance of nearby beaches and the Aquarium. The front desk was very helpful. We got a harbor view room on the 4th floor.

The rooms at MBI are really comfortable and have a nice decor. There are also a lot of lighting options (several different kinds of lamps both in the room and bathroom, dimmers, etc.), which was nice. The bed was really comfortable, even though it was soft and probably not the best for your back- we slept really well though, to the sound of the ocean crashing against the beach outside. The seagulls and sea lions got raucous at around 7am, but that didn't bother me much. The fountain outside is kind of loud- our room wasn't too close but I could see how previous reviewers thought it was too noisy.

The building next to the MBI (side facing away from the harbor) looks like it's about to crumble into the ocean, so I could see how a room facing that side wouldn't be as worth the money. At $309/night plus $13/day for parking, it definitely wasn't cheap, so I would want the best room available.

The continental breakfast was a nice touch- you get to order what you want the night before and they bring it at the specified time. It's simple but pretty good as far as continental breakfasts go -- fresh fruit, OJ, your choice of pastry and another beverage. One day they even had hardboiled eggs. The afternoon cookies were delicious.

The hot tub was also nice. They have two and one overlooks the bay. Even though the MBI was booked that weekend, they only have 47 rooms so we never had to wait long to use the hot tub (4 people max at a time).

The only thing that was kind of not working properly was our shower drain (very slow), but I didn't find it was worth complaining about. I'm sure if I had told them about it they would fix it though.

The MBI has a very quiet and cozy atmosphere. It's not a budget place but seeing as how a lot of the places in Monterey are overpriced for being somewhat run-down (we've tried a few- for ex. the Hilton Monterey was totally not worth what we paid, even though it was less than MBI) I would definitely stay at the MBI again.

• Stayed: September 2005