Monterey Bay Inn
Hotel Pacific(Monterey)
  • Free Internet
Monterey Marriott(Monterey)
1,695 results
All reviewscontinental breakfastend of cannery rowsea lionsdouble sinkshot tubsan carlos beacheach morningocean viewquiet endmonterey bayaveda productsyogurtbreakfast deliveredoceanfront roomfourth floorfisherman's wharfprivate balcony
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Although it lacks the curb appeal of neighboring Monterey Plaza Hotel, I was so glad we stayed here. The attention to detail and personal service were impeccable. The front desk sent up chocolates and sparkling cider after we checked in (would have been champagne but I don't drink alcohol and mentioned that when booking when they asked what the occasion was, suspecting that they might send up a basket and didn't want it to go to waste). I was impressed that they had remembered that detail and accommodated it. They made dinner reservations at the Charthouse, sharing with the restaurant details of the occasion as well, which printed a custom greeting on the menu. The room was big, comfortable and warm, with a balcony facing the ocean - even binoculars to spot sealife! Bathroom was well-lit and spacious with big towels, robes and beautifully appointed. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

Great location but the pungent smell of the sea? Meant that we were unable to have the doors to our patio open. If you request a room facing the city it may also be brighter. Free wifi and extra long bath tub were great.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We are delighted with our choice of the Monterey Bay Inn. We wanted to check out the Cannery Row area, and the hotel is on the edge of it, so you get the convenience plus a little distance. Our view was fantastic and we had a little balcony; upon arriving and breathing in that fresh, cool ocean air, we instantly fell in love with the Central Coast. The room had a pair of binoculars, which we used a lot. The robes were really nice and comfy and not bulky like many. The bathroom had double sinks and an abundance of counter space. The Internet connection was free and the TV was just fine. A wonderful recreational trail was steps away. It seemed like the same person was at the front desk the whole weekend, and he was friendly and as helpful as needed. We didn't take advantage of the included continental room-service breakfast as we were eager to get out and explore, but it looked great. All in all, it was a great choice and I'd happily go back. It was a wonderful way to start off our California vacation.

Room Tip: Go for an ocean-view room. You'll be glad you did.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We had a great time. The outside is not much to look at, but the rooms are very big, comfortable, clean and well maintained. We had an oceanfront room with an electric fireplace; the view from our rooms were spectacular. Each morning, we had breakfast on our patio with binoculars (supplied by hotel) by my side. I didn’t want to miss seeing the cormorants, otters, seals and dolphins. The continental breakfast was always punctually brought to our room.

The room had coffee maker and refrigerator. The 'Honor' refrigerator was minimally stocked but that was okay as we needed room to store stuff that we brought at the Monterey Farmers market. The bathroom had Aveda products and plenty of thick fluffy towels.

Check in and check out were without hassle. We had to check out early (6:30am) and the clerk offered to get us breakfast before we left. I wish we had thought to ask.

If ever in Monterey again, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bklyngal54
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We've stayed at this Inn several times, most recently in November 2012 for our honeymoon :) I don't think I'd stay anywhere in Monterey. It's not cheap, I'll just get that out of the way, but it's not outrageously expensive either, and they occasionally offer great deals, especially during the off-season, which is when we always stay (October and November are our favorite times to come up). The rooms are nice and updated, super clean and the bed is wonderful. We normally get a Harbor View room (I think they call it a partial ocean view now...) and it's fine...you see plenty of ocean and there's a nice little table and chairs on your balcony so you can sit and enjoy your little light breakfast that they bring to your room every morning (just beware of the seagulls...they will want to join you for breakfast).

My favorite thing about this place is the location. It's the last building on that street, so your "partial ocean" and "ocean view" rooms don't get blocked by a neighboring structure. You just look out toward Fisherman's Warf and the lovely little walking trail that leads over to it. It's a bit of a walk, but totally do-able (let's say, I wouldn't do it in heels or if it were raining). If you go up the street the opposite direction you can walk to the Aquarium and all the little shops and along the way. My other favorites things about the Inn are the staff (always super friendly and helpful), and the little Mexican food place right across the street. It's sort of a hole in the wall type of place, but the carne asada burritos are great, it's cheap, and it's so close!

Other things I can tell you about this place: the rooftop Jacuzzi is lovely if you are lucky enough to get up there before any body else does. It's small, so I'd be uncomfortable sitting in it with strangers...but if its just you and your spouse, it's wonderful...the view at night with the moon and stars and a little cup of wine....ahhh....there's also another Jacuzzi on I think the 2nd floor which we were able to use without other guests more often than the rooftop one.

A couple of opportunities for improvement I will mention:

We got a couples massage the last time we were there, and I wouldn't recommend it. I get massages regularly, and I'm used to nice day spas with a charming and relaxing atmosphere, and I normally pay around $85/hour. We should have requested and in-room massage, because when we went down the Inn's "spa" room, it looked like a cross between a doctor's office and a storage room if you can imagine that. It was an inner room with no windows, two massage tables in the center, a weird little fish tank that had a light in it and made a bubbly sound that was the closest thing to a "spa" element in the room...the rest was just shelves and cabinets and closets stuffed with supplies. It was so unattractive I couldn't believe it, it seriously was their storage room for all the spa supplies! I'm shocked that they don't have a nice dimly lit room with candles and soft music or better yet, a room that opens up to the ocean so you can listen to the waves...at any rate a room JUST for services, NOT for storage! My husband said he enjoyed his, but the gal that worked on me smelled funny, and I think she was sick because she was sucking on a cough drop the whole time, and actually left the room 4 different times and came back with a tissue each time! I should have stopped everything and rescheduled, but I was too shy and I guess I just didn't want to hurt any body's feelings, but it was a terrible massage, especially for the price (well over $100 for an hour).

The other disappointing thing was that their continental breakfast has been scaled down since our last visit. Our first time we had bagels and cream cheese and a few other options, but this time it was a hard boiled egg, fruit, and a rather cheap muffin or coffee cake. I do love having fresh coffee in the morning, and I'm glad they still did that. I just wish there were better breakfast choices, or at least some nice locally baked goods instead of the cheap store bought stuff (there's a great little coffee shop walking distance going towards the Aquarium that they could get stuff from!)

Apart from those two things, we love this place and will continue to stay there when we visit our favorite town! (PS, please don't being kids here. It's such a romantic spot, and I don't think the rooms all have just one bed, so it's really not for families...and when people bring children, it just ruins the atmosphere...sorry, I know you love your kids, but the rest of us could do without the noise. Go stay down the street nearer to the Aquarium, and let us childless folks have a quiet and relaxing stay.)

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms are lovely, but expensive. The Partial Ocean view is fine!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple