“Fine hotel, just bad luck (with the neighbours)”
Review of Monterey Bay Inn

Monterey Bay Inn
Ranked #5 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Fine hotel, just bad luck (with the neighbours)”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel has a Canner Row adress, but happily it's away from all the tourist bustle up the street. It also has a lot more going for it: the rooms are state of the art, comfortable and well kept, the views of the Bay are great. Unfortunately, we had noisy neighbours with yelling kids... The hotel being fully booked, staff tried but couldn't move us. So we decided to cut our stay short, even though the night eventually was peaceful enough (yelling started up again after breakfast...).
On the upside, the hotel staff remained understanding, kind and helpful throughout. The manager made us an offer to upgrade us to a suite (with undoubtedly even nicer views of the Bay) and when we declined, did not charge us for the remaining night we'd booked.
It so happens we ended up in a nice place in Carel, but we would certainly stay again at this fine hotel in Monterey, notwithstanding this unfortunate incident (just check the neighbours..)

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sjoerdd d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Upon our arrival (late, since we had driven 8 hours), we received our first choice of room, which was wonderful and we were very pleasantly surprised when we found a bottle of champagne in celebration of our 21st anniversary in our room. The room was extremely comfortable and we enjoyed the view from our balcony very much. We had a wonderful stay and will certainly make this our first choice in hotels when we visit Monterey in the future.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms furthest from the street are best.
1 Thank Beth V
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed over the Memorial Day weekend so you can imagine how crowded this hotel or Monterey was in general. We stayed in an oceanfront room. No amount of pictures can describe accurately how amazing the view is from these rooms. You don't just have a view of the ocean, you are literarily on top of it, as in when you look out from your balcony, all you see is the ocean. It is definetly worth the upgrade to the oceanfront room.

The goods:
- The view is amazing. If you don't end up in one of these rooms, check out the fourth floor hot tub. It looks out to the ocean. Amazing view during sunset!

- Location, location, location! It's on the quitter part of Cannery Row, which is perfect for a good night sleep, but close enough to all the attractions.

- The building itself from the outside looks out of date and somewhat dingy, but the room is modern, nicely decorated and spacious. Plenty of room to move around or to avoid one another if you prefer. The bathroom is spacious with double sinks although the location of the door that separates the sink area and the toilet is placed awkwardly; you have to keep the door close otherwise you won't be able to access one of the sinks. Not a big deal, just a minor annoyance.

- Aveda toiletries are always appreciated, and the fact that housekeeping is not stingy about it is even more appreciated. But we always tip housekeeping so that may make a huge difference too.

- Check in was painless and fast. Most staff members we encountered were nice and friendly.

- Free free free! Wifi: check. Breakfast: check. Although breakfast is simple and not at all fancy, it is appreciated. The fact that you can pick the time you'd like it delivered is also appreciated.

The could-be-improved:
- Parking was painful when we were there. We arrived late and got lucky that someone was leaving so we had a spot. We were worried about taking our car out since we arrived. Not only are the spaces super tiny, I don't believe the hotel can accommodate everyone when they are sold out. Not to mention, they charge $15/night for parking. I wonder what will happen if one can't find parking. I personally wouldn't be happy if I was charged that much for a service that wasn't available.

- I don't know how old the building is since the room itself is really nice and modern but I can only guess it is on the older side. You can hear your neighbors and you can hear people walking (or in our case stomping) right above you. And what is up with people slamming doors? We got woken up more than once throughout the night by door slamming and crying children next door (aka thin walls!). If you are a light sleeper like I am, this could be a huge problem.

Overall, we had a really nice, relaxing stay. For the price, this place is more than awesome! It is not a resort like the hotel next door, but it is more low key and you get the same exact gorgeous view, which is what we were looking for. We will for sure stay here again but we will most likely request the top floor. Having someone stomping around above you is not my idea of fun.

Room Tip: Oceanfront room, top floor!
1 Thank SnowPrincess1206
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Just returned from 3 nights at this hotel and had a great stay! Driving up to the hotel, we weren't impressed with the exterior. However, the room looked very recently refurbished and was beautiful. The bed was incredibly comfortable. We had reserved a Cannery Row view but when we checked in the person at the front desk offered to move us to an Ocean View room. Are we glad that she did! Do not get the Cannery Row view - it's very depressing. For a few extra dollars, go for the ocean view where you an see the otters (with the hotel's binoculars) and the beautiful beach. As other reviewers have noted, having breakfast delivered to our room in the morning was a real treat (the hard boiled eggs were delicious).

Room Tip: Room 302 afforded a beautiful view!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel over memorial weekend for our anniversary, and we were very unhappy with our stay here at this hotel. Firstly we already had our room paid for it was a ocean front view room for two nights for $800. My aunt was very kind to help us pay for the rooms because they were so expensive, as soon as my boyfriend and I came to check in they asked for a card to put on file, I asked them why would they need a card if it's already paid for. They told me it doesn't matter if someone already paid for it or not they still need a card on file. So my boyfriend handed them his card. Just before went up to check out our room they told us that the room wasn't prepaid, I was a bit confused because I knew my aunt had already paid for everything. So I called my Aunt as soon as we got in our room and I told her what happened, she said that she already paid for everything online and that she would like to speak with someone at the front desk, I had sent my boyfriend down to talk with them. He came back and told me that he got charge for a night, we spoke with my Aunt she had already talked with someone at the front desk and said everything was handled. The next day my boyfriend checks his bank account he tells me that his account is negative and that the hotel charge him two nights not just one, he spoke with someone at the front desk they said he will get his money refunded but not till 2-3 weeks from now. I was very upset because it was a huge inconvenience on us and we were limited on our money because of the fact they got paid twice. When checking out I was asking questions about us getting the money refunded and they said it will take 7 days the latest depending on the bank. The staff was very unfriendly and they showed no sympathy what so ever nor never apologized even though it was their mistake. I would have to say the customer service was awful. Overall the hotel was fairly nice and we both loved our room and the beautiful views that came with it, although I don't think we'll be coming back again or recommending this hotel to anyone.

1 Thank Ashleyga3
MontereyInns, General Manager at Monterey Bay Inn, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Though this guest has reached out to us directly, I wanted to address some of their concerns here. Like many other hotels, when a reservation is made, a credit card is recorded to guarantee the room. However, it is not our standard policy to charge for reservations before they arrive. Because of this, we ask every guest for a form of payment when they arrive at the hotel. Should someone wish to pay with a credit card that will not be presented at the hotel in person, we always ask for a credit card authorization form – this form stands as written permission, with signature, for the card to be used; because it is so easy for a stolen credit card to be read over the phone, we require this in order to protect the card holder and ourselves. This policy is in no way meant to disrespect our guests; in fact it is meant as the exact opposite. It is meant to let our guests know that we take the protection of their identity, and their credit cards, very seriously. I sincerely apologize that the handling of this particular situation had such a negative effect on this guests’ say; it was certainly never our intention to create any difficulty.

Should anyone have any questions or concerns that they would like to speak to a manager regarding, please don’t hesitate to give us a call. We are more than happy to address all questions directly.

the General Manager
San Jose, California
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The hotel is in the perfect location and is only a ten minute walk to either the Old Fisherman's Wharf or Cannery Row. The hotel staff is exceptional. The room was beautiful. Pay the extra money and get a room with an ocean view. We plan on staying here always when taking a trip to Monterey.

Green Features: They do have signs on the bed and in the bathroom asking you to conserve on water.
1 Thank LaVon G
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We loved this hotel. Our room was lovely, with a beautiful view of Monterey bay. We stayed 3 nights, easy walking distance to many great restaurants and the beaches. Continental breakfast delivered to your room every AM (included in room price) was a treat! We would definitely stay here again if we travel to the area.

1 Thank 965jacquie