“Nice but could be nicer...”
Review of Monterey Bay Inn

Monterey Bay Inn
Ranked #5 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
singapore
“Nice but could be nicer...”
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed a night here after reading the reviews here. we did enjoy our stay but some things could be improved.

Pros-
-Good location. At the end of cannery row a nice walk to the main area with shops and food.
- our room 415 had great views of the ocean. Very large room as well. We could hear the waves lap from our bed which was nice.
- nice hot tub on top floor over looking the ocean.
- in the reception area, cookies laid out in the evening. Coffee in the morning and iced lemon water rest of the day.

Cons:
- breakfast was very disappointing. You order before midnight and its served to your room and you can enjoy it on your balcony. But the food was not really edible. The bread and muffin were very hard. The hard boiled egg was also over boiled and rubbery.
- whilst the inside of the room was very nice, the outside corridor area etc showed its age.
- whilst we were there the lift was under repair and whilst they offered to carry our bags up 4 floors to our room they sent an older lady and so my husband had to carry most of the things on his own.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank auntieadriene

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
Placerville, California
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We have stayed many times in Monterey, and, several B&Bs and motels later, we have found our "go to" place. We've stayed here the last 4 trips we've made in the previous 2 years. Service is very good, there is an ocean view in every room, either full on, or, in our case for a bit less $, a great view of the park, waves, beach, and the coast guard jetty. Plenty of otters, sea lions, and birds visible from your room, and the bellows of a few hundred sea lions just far enough away to put you to sleep at night.
A very adequate continental breakfast is brought, to your order, to your room each morning at your time choosing. The inn is a 10-15 minute walk to the Aquarium, or a few minutes via bike on the trail.
Rooms are nice, with comfy beds, large 2 person bathroom, small balcony, and new large screen TVs with DVD if you need it. There are a couple hot tubs available as well.
I would suggest you request rooms on the 3rd or 4th floor for the best views.

Room Tip: Rooms 408, 409, 308, 309 are the best view and bang for your buck, but the full bay view rooms are a...
Chicago
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I was surprised at how average this place was, in spite of being #4 in Monterey for hotels. But I realized after I got there that there are not too many places to choose from.

The check-in process was weird and I feel that it sort of set the tone for the whole stay. The lady at the front desk asked me for my drivers license (I've never been asked for this despite many stays at true luxury hotels) and asked me for multiple different signatures, including waivers, disclaimers, etc. Right then, I knew this was no luxury hotel. It was really bizarre.

Our room was an OceanView room with pullout sofa on the 2nd floor. View was good, and that was the only outstanding point of our stay there.

However, room was described as being 406 square feet. It most certainly is not. It is about 300 sq ft, at best. As such, it feels cramped. I should have gone for the larger rooms.

Also, they do not include complimentary bottled water in the room. They were the only hotel that I stayed at in California not to do so. Such an easy thing to do, and it makes a difference.

Breakfast is basic, decent, simple.

I found myself wishing that I had booked Monterey Plaza Hotel and Spa or whatever it's called, down the street. But I looked that up and saw that it had its fair share of negative reviews as well, maybe a few less. I think the point is that there is no true luxury stay in Monterey.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank radio77
Modesto, California
Reviewed January 6, 2013

What a great experience. The room was great, spacious, clean, quiet, and the view was incredible. We ordered room service and it was as good as the surrounding restaurants. The staff was very helpful and friendly. All the shops and restaurants were right outside our door, but while we were in the room, we felt a million miles away.This was the perfect getaway. We'll be back.

Room Tip: try to score a western view.
Loomis, California
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Celebrating our 35 wedding anniversary opting for the upgraded Panoramic view rooms. Wow! the bay was right outside our windows with a great view of both the open bay and San Carlos Beach views. Amazing and well worth it. Much more cost effective than other hotels for that experience.
The room is spacious with a nice sitting area and large bathroom. You can sit in the tub and look out to the coast.
The balcony is on the leeward side of the building which made for a pleasant spot to kick back, enjoy the sun which we were lucky enough to have all week.
It's great to be able to park your car and have an easy walk around cannery row as well as fisherman's wharf.
This hotel is now on the top of our list for a return trip.

los altos
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My family spent one night at the Monterey Inn. I wanted to stay-- a month! This is a great hotel! Clean, accessible and simple. No valet waiting, no grand entrance with hundreds of others. Yet it is on the water and opens next to a gorgeous state park with beach and walking trails. We walked .5 miles up to Fisherman's wharf one direction and less than .5 mile to the Monterey Aquarium the other. Breakfast, delivered to our room was part of the tarrif. Simple again, but good. Our balcony opened to the water where we saw sea otters, seals and scuba divers. The ocean waves ( they're small bay waves) crashed for sound effect and a harbor seal or two barked ( a long distance away) if you do it like the sound of the ocean lulling you to sleep I suppose you could turn on the fan for some white noise, but then why not stay inland at some other place where you don't feel like you're part of the bay? I can't wait I go back here and next time I'll book a massage, as the Sanctuary looked inviting and relaxing. Bring your swim suit for a jacuzzi.
What I really appreciated more than anything was that the Inn was up to date with their Internet posting in that they let me know before I booked the room that they were having the elevator repaired and it would not be working, it people would hel with the luggage up a flight of stairs. I didn't need the help, but really appreciated that they were up front, honest and candid about their own limitations for the time we were there.

Room Tip: They have rooms facing the park and beach ( which is great if your kids are old enough to wonder dow...
Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had been on a road trip since 12/24 traveling to Yosemite, Sacramento, Guerneville, Sonoma until we hit Monterey. We had stayed at different hotels along the way, some of which, were far more expensive than Monterey Bay Inn. We finally got here, and was amazingly pleased with the room, balcony and views. It was worth the money, and I highly recommend staying here over the other property down Cannery Row that charges more, and offers less. In any case, I finally had a good nights' sleep with the comfortable bed unlike many hotels. It is a perfect place for couples, and the service was wonderful. Monterey Bay Inn is definitely our hotel of choice whenever we go back to Monterey.