“Good hotel in a great location”
Review of Monterey Marriott

Monterey Marriott
Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed September 20, 2010

This Marriott is quite nice, but the location is amazing! We were a few blocks from the town square and the riverfront. There was an Italian Festival while we were there. Lots of fun with live band and dancing but no noise filtered into the hotel. Ate at nearby restaurant recommended by the concierge ,Massaro and Santos, right off the riverwalk and on the harbor. Wonderful! Parked the car for $7 a day at a garage just a few blocks away, instead of paying $20 for valet parking at the hotel. Since everything we wanted to do was within walking distance of the hotel, we only used the car once on a drive up to Big Sur. I would stay here again because of the convenience and the quality of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,343)

Reviewed September 15, 2010

Contrary to other reviews we experienced great service at the Monterey Marriott. Staff was friendly, helpful and courteous. Our corner room overlooking the bay was quiet with great views. Yes, you have to pay for parking but come on - it's Monterey.

Reviewed September 14, 2010

Had a great stay. Greatly preferred the location downtown over ones nearer to the bay and aquarium. Lots of restaurants in the area. Staff at the hotel was great and had outstanding suggestions for dinner. We require an ADA room with a roll in shower and access was great. No problem in the room.
We had a great package that included valet parking and breakfast for 2. Without the package parking is pricey ($20/day).
Also, buy ticket to the aquarium at the front desk. Saves in two ways - tickets are good for 2 days (if you need it) and you can go in the members entrance avoiding lines. Price is the same as a 1 day ticket at the aquarium.

Reviewed August 23, 2010

At first I was a bit resistant to staying here because of some of the reviews but I was so surprised with the top quality service we received at this hotel. Yes the hotel is not super modern or brand new but it is very, very nice. Rooms are spacious and clean, the staff went above and beyond- opened the doors for us, greeted us, offered help every time they saw us.~ I have stayed at other hotels that might have had fancier faciliies but by far this hotel will be a favorite.

Reviewed August 16, 2010

I'd avoid it if you require ANY assistance. Even early check in or need adjoining room for child. Staff rude and unhelpful. Poor training through out the hotel from doorman, bellmen, front desk. Rooms are large and nice.

3  Thank OCDSonoma
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I just returned from a trip to Monterey and Carmel Valley. I stayed with my daughter who participated in the Half Marathon on August 7/10. Overall, the service was not bad with one exception: I was asked to show my passport and I was questioned about my background. Due to a series of minor strokes and heart attacks I have a 'false' accent which sometimes 'ignorant' folks assume it is Spanish. I am a proud Canadian and my passport is Canadian. Passport information was copied on file and it appeared on the final bill. I contacted customer service but I did not receive much support. I am going back to Monterey/Carmel with a group of Canadians in the near future but I wil DEFINATELY STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL.

2  Thank Odessea
Reviewed August 10, 2010

This hotel towers over the centre of Monterey. You can't get lost if you're staying here, as you can see the hotel from practically everywhere. It's close to Old Fishermans Wharf and the beach, and a short walk from Cannery Row. It's right next to Alvarado St which has some great bars and restaurants on it. The location is as close to perfect as you're going to get here.

I stayed here for the MotoGP at Laguna Seca. It's a 15 minute drive from the circuit, which was good (although there are closer hotels - the Embassy Suites in particular). It's a very classy hotel, so I felt slightly guilty in my dusty shorts and baseball cap. Only one snooty check in girl seemed to mind though - the rest of the staff (bar, valet, cafe, etc) were very friendly and eager to help. I felt very at home for the majority of my 4 night stay.

The rooms are very nice (though our eighth floor one was slightly let down by a shabby bathroom with a rickety sliding door). The TV is excellent - lots of HD channels - but there's only free internet in the lobby (which is huge but has limited seating...). The bed was great, I slept like a baby. Everything feels very luxurious.

The cafe serves Starbucks coffee and the Sports Bar on the ground floor is very nice, with a huge projector showing various sporting events. There's a classy restaurant on the top floor but I didnt venture up there. It's a big hotel - not cheap, but you do feel like you're getting your money's worth of amenities.

This is a great hotel. Better for visiting Monterey itself than for heading out to Laguna Seca, but if you've got the money it's worth it.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple