“Nice Place -- Much Better Than The Portola Plaza”
Review of Monterey Marriott

Monterey Marriott
Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed January 21, 2010

I stayed here for a conference for four nights and I have to say it was really quite nice. My assistant stayed across the street at the Portola Plaza and she could not stand the outdated rooms and the noisy birds that woke her up every morning at 5:00 am. I suspect the birds don't attack the Marriott because they don't have balconies for the birds to land on and squawk and wake you up at an ungodly hour. The rooms are nice and large at the Marriott. I recommend this hotel for anyone staying in downtown Monterey.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,352)

Reviewed December 11, 2009

I stayed at the Monterey Marriott while attending a conference and had a wonderful time. The customer service was outstanding. At check-in, I was upgraded to a beautiful room with fabulous views of the bay. Every staff member I interacted with during my stay was friendly and responsive, which really makes a difference in the how the overall experience feels. My room was very comfortable. Free wireless internet service is available in the lobby and mezannine; internet service in the room costs $12.95 which includes unlimited long distance phone calls. Valet parking was $20 and service was fast (the hotel didn't seem very full though). There are public garages close by that are less expensive but don't have in and out privileges. The hotel is well located in the downtown area and there are several restaurants, bars and stores within walking distance. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 23, 2009

I expect more from a Marriott and did not receive it here. Rooms need a facelift, thin towels, inconsistent hot water. Check in was terrible - we arrived late for the start of my conference so I went directly to the meeting room, leaving my husband to check in. I had no sooner found a seat then my husband called on my cell phone: "You have to come down here." They would not let my husband check in because the reservation was in my name - though we have the same last name, and he had his driver's license with the same address. Why couldn't he check in? "Security" What, someone with the same name and address as me is going to steal my hotel reservation? This makes absolutely no sense.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 23, 2009

My wife, 4 year old daughter, and I stayed at this hotel for a night - we flew in late and didn't get to the property until 9:00 Pacific from the east coast so we're tired when we arrived.

Was very pleased that as a Platinum using points, we were upgraded to the Presidential suite. The suite was 2 floor and probably 1600 to 1800 square feet. It had been renovated recently with a huge bathroom, large jacuzzi tub and a shower with three different shower heads. 3 large LCD TVs throughout the suite ... also a very large balcony overlooking the bay.

We ordered room service the next morning for breakfast mainly to enjoy the view - breakfast was just OK.

By observing other rooms that were being cleaned as we walked thru the hallway, I don't think the average room had necessarily been renovated recently. However, it is a property I would recommend since the staff seemed well trained and very friendly.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 16, 2009

customer service at this hotel is amazing professional genuine yet casual for all types of travellers having stayed at luxurious hotels world wide this hotel was beyond service merriting their 4 star category, location was an added bonus, will definitely return!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 1, 2009

This hotel is located right downtown. Although valet parking is available for a price, we used the city parking lot two blocks away for a lot less money. The bus to cannery row, fishermans wharf, and farmers market are with a block or two. The hotel was clean, comfortable and the staff were excellent. Nice touchs like ice water with lemon in the lobby, wine tasting in the lobby on Friday nights and an excellent brunch.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2009

We stayed at the Marriott in Monterey for two nights. The rooms were just okay. There was no Concierge floor in this full-scale hotel. This was very disappointing for travelers who expect this level of service. The towels were thin and need to be replaced. The bathroom is outdated and the shower head does not function properly. I was very disappointed in this Marriott property.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple