“Best staff of any Monterey Hotel”
Review of Monterey Marriott

Monterey Marriott
Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I have stayed at the Monterey Marriott many times over the past several years. I have always been very impressive with the staff and the food for room service is very good. I was not impressed this time with the cleanliness of the room or that they changed their hand soap now to little tubes of liquid gel. They run out quickly and upon our arrival into our room the one we had was empty so it was basically never replaced from the last guest, which is a bit un-sanitary since you have to remove the lid to use it. The other noted item was the dusting of the room was not good. The lamp shades on top of them have about an inch of dust built up on them. I think the maid service needs to pay closer attention to detail since this is considered a high end hotel and should be impeccable for the price you pay. Valet parking is very expensive as well and although it is a convenient feature and really not many options when staying at this hotel for parking it shouldn't be so expensive considering the room cost. The Disneyland Hotel, which is one of most expensive places to stay, has a lower Valet cost than the Monterey Marriott. Other than these few items, I would recommend this hotel for anyone coming to Monterey as it is very convenient to the Wharf and walking anywhere for local restaurants. It is also more quiet than other hotels in the area. I have stayed at many of them.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Thank you for continuing to stay with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, but disappointed in hearing about the condition of your room and am sending you a private message.

There are newer reviews for Monterey Marriott

Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel rather than the conference site to be loyal Marriott. Wrong choice. There was no consideration of my requests in my
Profile AT ALL. I was staying 4 nights so it matters. Then when I get to my room the key does not work. Back down and wait. There also is no concierge
Level. It was absolutely not worth stating here. The customer attention is far from what you hope when you are a loyal status member. Stay at the conference center and go for convenience as you won't get it at this Marriott. Shame in you Marriott.

• Stayed: March 2014
Rene B, Front Office Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time provide this feedback and for bringing this to our attention. I am sending you a private message shorty to further inquire about your stay.

Kind regards.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed in a room on the fourth floor overlooking the bay. The room was updated, clean, spacious and the king bed was very comfortable. You will be right at the Bay where you can choose from great restaurants and shops. Hopefully you can see the Seals and sea lions all crowded on the little plank in the bay! Also...right across the street is GG spa. As of this review a one hour foot massage is $25! Seriously! Four of us were so grateful that we chose to end our day there! Pampered and relaxed!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for your great tips. A foot massage definitely sounds like a great way to end a day! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Of the choices in the Marriott brand, when staying in Monterey I prefer to stay at the Monterey Marriott. It much surpasses the Residence Inn and Courtyard in Salinas. The rates can be quite high depending on groups in-house, which is the only reason I wouldn't stay here.

The reason this hotel just gets 3 stars is how it compares to Marriott's in general. Though I believe the property has been renovated, it still has the feeling of being dated. It certainly has a comfortable bed (standard for Marriott), though the rest of the decor is average. I've only dined in the restaurant for breakfast, which was included with my platinum elite status, and the food was also average.

As I recall, the service was solid and people were friendly.

The location is great, though parking is costly.

I've stayed here several times and will definitely stay again as I am a loyal Marriott customer.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank moonsun_kauai
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

I appreciate you being a loyal guest. Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your thoughts about our hotel. I look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Was there for a conference from Feb 9-12. Reserved room got mixed up. We were given our "Ocean view" on the 5th floor only because I insisted that the reservation was made as early as November last year. The front desk was hesitant to give the ocean view room but she eventually said, " I have to bump out another person" and something about PassKey made the error.

We went to our room only to find out that the room was not vacuumed (neither was the area near the elevators) and it was not really an ocean view. We found two candy wrappers on the floor. It would barely pass as "partial ocean view". For almost the same amount we paid for, we got better service in another hotel which was next to the ocean (rated #2 in Monterey), a real ocean view, came with free breakfast and wi-fi in the convenience of our room (you don't have to be in the lobby) and the rooms were clean/well-maintained. Also, to think we have reserved months in advance for a King Bed and they were unable to grant this request, makes me think this is why conferences get discount rates because you don't really get what you request for and other "elite" guests are preferred.

The front desk personnel was initially obviously irked by our persistence but later on, we managed to clear the air. I understand her frustration about the error made by a third party. She eventually understood where I was coming from when I explained to her that I wanted to make this a mini-vacation for my family because we had a rough year last year.

However, I feel that that it was not worth what we paid for. Disappointed that our mini-vacation started off on a bad note. We will not be staying there again nor be recommending the place to family/friends/colleagues/organization who created the conference.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

I am disappointed to hear of your experience and am sending you a private message now. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We want to thank Marriott for giving us an amazing long weekend while we celebrate our new marriage during Valentine's Day. Though they were really busy with catering to the guests attending a local conference that happened to be held across the street, they were still able to pay attention to us non-conference guests. We had a lovely "Elite" Suite complete with a bottle of champagne and chocolate-dipped-strawberries. It was such a nice touch and left an impression that we would never forget. They also gave us complimentary continental breakfast with the buffet upgrades. They really made a difference in our first-time in Monterey experience. I would not fail to mention the amazing downtown location, walking distance to the Fisherman's Wharf, just cross the walkway bridge to go check out the historical Portola Hotel (beautiful and a must see). If you have a car or reserved a tour, the Cannery Row and Monterey Bay Aquarium is only 5 minutes drive from the hotel.

The only downside was during our stay, the couple next door was arguing loudly throughout the night (3am). There is a connecting door in our room that links to the next room, and they were standing in front of their side of the connecting door, which is why we could hear them more. We had a hard time sleeping.

Also felt that the room could be designed a little better. There was a weird hole cut out of the shower's glass wall, which we thought was for turning on the shower without being in the shower, but it also allowed water to spray out into the toilet area, wetting the toilet paper. The other thing they could have done better is adding more towel hangers. The only one available was inside the shower (???)

Room Tip: Sign up as a Marriott Rewards member, the more you travel with them the higher your points level and...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Congratulations on your wedding! Thank you so much for staying with us for such a momentous occasion. It's great to hear that you had such a wonderful experience. I appreciate your thoughts and feedback. I wish you a long and happy marriage, and certainly hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We love Marriott's and were happy to stay in Monterey. The staff was really friendly and helpful right down to the last person. Good location for walking around the town. I really hope we will be able to return for fun and take the grandkids to the aquarium.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Thank you for your stay and for the compliments to our staff. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is a great place to spend the day with the family. I hope you come stay with us again.