“Too much for just average -”
Review of Monterey Marriott

Monterey Marriott
Ranked #17 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Los Angeles, California
“Too much for just average -”
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Seeking reliable lodging on a road trip down hwy 1. Clean spacious room - 1king bed - remodeled travertine bathroom - only a shower - which got the floor all wet. $valet parking only (public parking a block away). As marriotts go this was average - location was key, but in future I think looking to a place w/better value - like complimentary breakfast & cheaper parking - for the price paid.

• Stayed January 2014
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your thoughts.. I appreciate your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Northern California, United States
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is our second stay at the Monterey Marriott this year. Ofcourse, service was great. Valet was prompt but feel the valet charge was a little high for location of hotel.

Decent walk to cannery row activities but short walk to fisherman s wharf. Some upscale places to eat all around and some fun looking places behind the Portola across the street.
We stayed during a remodeling period and we had no problems with noise as it looks they have planned well in keeping guest ps opposite of remodel area.

I believe our bathroom was a completed remodel and bravo Marriott, the update tile in shower surround looks great! I believe we also had a the update air conditioning units and the room was very comfortable,

My negative is the conjoined rooms. We had a conjoined room door and sadly it really does not help keep noise down especially since our neighbors were quite loud at very late hours, otherwise we never hear our neighbors or above during our stays. We also noticed LOTS of cords and our 3 year old quickly found the loaded up power strip just laying next to the night stand. Also had a phone cord strung across floor near window to the desk. Simple fix I believe marriott just needs to be aware of major hazards there.

Marriott always feels cozy for us!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I will inform the staff so that they are more aware of this in the future. I am glad our remodeling was not bothersome to you. Thank you for staying with us and I hope to see you again.
Quincy, Illinois
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott for our 10 year anniversary. We met at Characters there but had never stayed there before. We arrived in the morning well before check in time but Issandra welcomed us with open arms and offered us an upgrade to a nice room if we would be patient and wait a bit. They stored our luggage for us and we went to Characters to have a drink and reminisce. We were surprised there by a nice anniversary card signed by the entire front desk staff along with a drink coupon! So sweet! After a bit our room was ready, and we certainly were not disappointed. Justin checked us in and just like Issandra he was full of superb customer service. They were both exceptional, and you could tell that they were genuinely kind people. Anyway, we had room 436, and it was huge! We had a large balcony with a beautiful view of the bay. The hot tub was very hot and awesome after a long hike. He buffet breakfast was absolutely delicious! We didn't have very hot water in our shower, but other than that everything was wonderful! Thanks for the great stay!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mirvmire1227
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Wow, it's fantastic that we were the setting in which you met your husband and I think it's incredibly sweet for you to return for your 10 year anniversary. I am delighted to hear that our staff was able to add to such a special occasion. I will definitely pass along your kind words. I wish you many more happy years and certainly look forward seeing you again in the future.
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I am a Marriott Platinum and stay mostly at the Marriott properties. This is always one of my favorite Marriott's as they treat me very well. The service here is always impeccable. The location in Monterrey is superb. Walking distance to all the sights. The hotel has all the services I would ever need. The rooms are big and comfortable. i see no downside to staying here every time I come to Monterrey.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the ocean.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Manzanitabay
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Thank you for being a loyal guest and being a part of our Rewards program. We take great pride in our staff and I am pleased to hear about the quality of service you receive when you stay with us. Thanks again, I look forward to having you back.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Located so close to the wharf it's a no brainer great staff close to the donut shop pink berry yogurt and Cibo Italian restaurant all within waking distance the concierge was very helpful and a convenient coffee shop in the lobby just a great place

• Stayed November 2013
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Monterey certainly offers some breathtaking views. I Hope you stay with us again soon.
Toronto
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We recently returned from an enjoyable 2 day trip to Monterey. We prefer staying at Marriott Hotels. Our concern in Monterey was that the on-going renovations would be a problem. This was not the case. In particular, we were not bothered by any noise.The staff was pleasant and helpful. We had a renovated corner room on the 7th floor, overlooking some of the bay and city. The location of this hotel is so convenient. On our first day we took a scenic 1 mile walk to the aquarium. Tip: We bought our tickets at the hotel. The cost is the same as it would be at the aquarium, BUT you are entitled to enter for 2 consecutive days. If you buy tickets at the aquarium, you can only enter on that one day. Also, when buying tickets in advance, you won't have to stand in a long line. This worked perfectly for us because we arrived in the afternoon and saw part of the aquarium, then returned the following morning to enjoy the rest. We drove to Carmel the second afternoon and took a long walk along a paved path (take Ocean Ave. to Scenic Drive, turn left for a few blocks & park) with beautiful ocean views. The breakfast at the Monterey Marriott was also a pleasant surprise - had a large selection. We did walk to the small wharf one morning and had a terrific breakfast at Lulu's - a suggestion we noted from another Trip Advisor review. Also had a delicious dinner at Dominico's, located on the larger wharf - an easy walk from our hotel. The hotel suggested this place and gave us a card which entitled us to a free appetizer. In Carmel we ate at Demetro's on Ocean Ave. - #1 on Trip Advisor. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Corner room on high floor with bay view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for staying with and for your review. It sounds like you had a fun trip and I am sure other guests will appreciate the helpful tips. Thanks for you being a loyal guest and I look forward to seeing you again.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This hotel is in a nice location with a great pub, coffee shop and wine shop on the same block. Public parking lot is a short walk and much cheaper. This hotel has a good gym included in your stay, and a Starbucks in the lobby. Nothing fancy, but helpful staff and a comfortable stay. The Wharf and Cannery Row are within an easy walking distance.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your thoughts and for staying with us. We are glad to be in a location with so much to do close by. I hope you come back and stay with us again in the future.