“Good hotel”

Ranked #15 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
San Francisco, California
“Good hotel”
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

This place has a great location and friendly staff. Parking is expensive and you're better off paying $5/day at the public lot around the corner and one block over. That said, I would stay here again. The hot tub was nice even though it could use some plants or decor that would make it more inviting to the consumer.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Runner_876
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
I appreciate your feedback and thank you for staying with us. I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Regina, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We traveled to Monterey in October 2013 and stayed here. The hotel is is a nice liesurely walk to the fisherman's wharfs were all the restaurants are. Also can see walruses from these piers. Its a beautiful area and the walk from the hotel is slightly more than 5 minutes. As for the hotel though, parking is extremely overpriced and rooms were not up to the Marriott norm in my opinion. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful though, which helped make up for the disappointment with the room. The lobby and restaurant show very well and we ate a great breakfast while there. The rooms though were VERY dated. I was on floor 2 and booked under a promotional rate which was very reasonable, so I'd hate to say all rooms were as dated as mine without having seen others or having asked the staff about it. The only good thing I can say about this room was that it was very big and clean and the king bed was nice and comfy. Everything from the bathroom, to carpet, curtains, furniture was all dated. The walls looked old, the ceiling looked old and dirty. Not in a disgusting way, but in a 'you need to get your paint brush out and put in new carpet' way. The one thing I was happy with is the staff asked if we were going to the aquarium, which we were. We were able to pre-buy a 2day pass for the price of one day. although we were only going for 1 day, it was nice to know that deal was available. It also meant we could walk right in when we went and present our tickets instead of waiting in line to purchase tickets. There was no price discount on the 1 day pass, but if we were staying a 2nd day we could have used them the next day too for "free".

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John K
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience. I'm so glad that you enjoyed our service and location. We are in the middle of some renovations now, hopefully you can come back and visit us once they're complete.
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Very nice stay, just one night. Because of Marriott gold member got upgraded to a fantastic suite whitout asking! Perfect service, location, breakfast and sleep. Would stay here again. Monterey also is such a nice place! Fun for the whole family.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 427Californiadreamin
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
I am delighted to hear about your recent stay with us. I'm also glad that you are enjoying the benefits of being in our Rewards program. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope you come back.
Rio Vista, CA
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Stayed there the first week of November with my girlfriend who was there for a conference. They sent her a note a couple of weeks prior stating there was going to be some remodeling and to expect some inconveniences which they were apologizing for ahead of time. Great location, within walking distance of many places to eat and both the muni pier and fisherman's wharf. Nice hotel, very friendly staff, clean, nice pool and spa but mostly in the shadows because it's surrounded by the four sides of the building. The first day she was in class, the remodeling began, on our floor, in our hall and in rooms surrounding ours..... I am the last one to complain, but holy **** batman! It was like a highway crew jack hammering on the floor of the room I was standing in. VERY loud and not acceptable. I had to complain and asked for supervisor staff to come to our room. They did and agreed it was loud. No warning or "sorry for the inconvenience" was going to make it quiet for the work I had brought with me to do while she was in her conference. They kindly offered another room, but why did they put us in the middle of remodel ground zero to begin with? I wasn't going to pack our stuff again and move while she was in the conference. I received an email after the stay from Clid Boon the Senior Rooms Manager offering a discount on a future stay but I will have to comment on that if we go again. I'm not saying they didn't try to make the situation better, I just don't understand why they put us in a room with remodeling going on all around it if they had rooms to move us too? Not smart. I was the first one to complain because everyone else on the floor was at the conference so they didn't get to hear all the noise.....

Room Tip: As for a room facing outside, not looking to the interior courtyard/pool area. Ask to look towards...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank champ1517
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and I truly apologize for the inconvenience our remodeling caused you. I am sending you a private message right now.
California
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed here one year ago and put up with the renovations at that time. We came back again this year and guess what? more renovations.
Somehow we ended up in a room with two double beds because they were out of King rooms? I can't remember the last time we have been to a hotel with only double beds. The beds were of low qaulity and needed replacing, very disapointed.
For the price it is better to stay somewhere else and now I am reminded why I avoid Marriots in general.
The Valet was efficent and helpful.

Room Tip: Pick another Hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ace78
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
I am disappointed to hear that your stay with us was not a pleasant one. I am sending you a private message now.
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed at Monterey Marriott while on our honeymoon last month. The staff, especially Victoria, went out of their way to make our stay extra special with in-room amenities and generous upgrades. Not only was it a peaceful night sleep, but we enjoyed a gorgeous view of the bay while enjoying a glass of champagne on our personal patio as the sun set. This room is one we will be talking about for years to come. We have never been to Monterey before, but definitely will return our next visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Allison C
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Congratulations! I'm so happy to hear that we were able to make your stay such a memorable experience. The view of the bay at sunset is a beautiful sight. I appreciate your feedback and certainly look forward to having you stay with us again.
New Hampshire
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I unfortunately stayed at this hotel. They are doing extensive bathroom repairs throughout this hotel till next year. Saying this it is EXTREMELY loud. The first room they put me in sounded as if I was in an actually construction site. It was terrible. When we first arrived the woman who checked us in explained we wouldn't really hear anything. Which was a blatant lie. I explained to the front desk and they not seem to care. Finally they changed my room. They did apologize but could not care less, horrible customer service. The hotel is in a great area but honestly there are a million other hotels in the area it's not worth your sanity or the points.

• Stayed November 2013
5 Thank JessicaNH
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
I regret that you didn't enjoy your stay and am sending you a private message now.