“Nice staff, but no free WIFI?”
Review of Monterey Marriott

Monterey Marriott
Ranked #15 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Utah
“Nice staff, but no free WIFI?”
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Room is clean, staff is nice, but charging for in-room WIFI is not business traveler friendly. I even have status with Marriott. This is a big deal for us business travelers. I have not been charged for WIFI in a long time. Get with the times Marriott Monterey!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and writing about your stay. I'm sorry that you weren't informed that we have free wifi in all of the common areas of the hotel like the lobby and restaurants. I appreciate your complements on our staff and hope you'll be back to visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed November 2, 2013

a very nice hotel with pleasant employees. stayed in a big room with two beds big enough for 2 people. love that the wharf is just around the corner which you can walk to. would stay here again and recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us, I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay and Monterey. I hope you'll be back to visit again.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My wife and I checked into this hotel for our wedding anniversary. We received great customer service from the beginning and it did not stop until our trip ended. The hotel, for us, was in an ideal spot and served as a launching location for all of our Big Sur trips. The concierge at the hotel helped us get special Marriott tickets for the aquarium. While the property may be a little dated, it is clean, and well kept. The staff goes above and beyond to make your stay enjoyable. We would definitely recommend this property to all of our friends and family visiting the area.

The hotel was a very short walk to the wharf, aquarium, and other areas.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
I'm so glad we could make your anniversary stay with us ideal. Thank you for staying with us and a Happy Anniversary to you and your wife.
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at many Marriott's over the years and this one in particular was disappointing. The room was small, furniture outdated (although carpeting and wall covering appear to updated). Bathroom was very odd. The shower and toilet are in a small room closed off with a sliding pocket door. The vanity in sink are basically in the room but a half wall separates this area from the rest of the room. A coffee maker is provided on the counter, but the electrical outlet is at the other end of the counter.

Bed was comfortable, but the top sheet had a small tear and the fitted sheet had several small holes and stains (nice attention to details). Our room was located on the streets side anew as very noisy. All night long you could her people making their way to or from the taverns. Bring your earplugs. Ate at note the sports bar (characters) and the restaurant (3 flags cafe). Menu was exactly the same. Very creative! Burgers were below average although Cobb salad was good.

I did not use the fitness center but did go for several runs. There is a great bike/walk/running path but make sure to go early and it gets very crowded with all the tourists. You can take the path past Pacific Grove (South) or past Ocean Side (North).

Based on my experience I generally would not return, but I will be staying here in 2014 and 2015 for work related travel. Hopefully things improve.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, I regret that you found your stay disappointing. You'll be happy to know that we do have renovations planned. I hope you'll come back afterward and give us another stay. Again, thank you.
Seattle
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed one night while heading down the coast. At check-in we were told that there would be a water shutdown at 11 with restoration at 5 am. Come 7 am and the water is still not on, meaning no showers for most of the hotel. That is when it usually falls apart but I have to commend the professionalism of the team. Things were obviously not going right but the entire staff was calm, empathetic, and looked for ways to rectify the situation. My wife and I ended up using another room that did have water to take showers. What really blew me away was getting a personal letter from the manager, Clid, apologizing for the inconvenience and giving me his number if I had any concerns or issues. I had, in the confusion of moving rooms, left a coat and shirt behind which he promptly offered to fed ex to a hotel we would be at a few days later. But then he also solicited my feedback regarding his staff, including my compliments about the valet parking team. He said that he appreciated the detail of my comments and intended to use them at a team meeting to reinforce the good behavior. The whole concept of excellent customer service obviously gets talked to death-- what I saw first hand was a genuine commitment from the manager and his team to not just deal with the day to day, but to deal with the problems and obstacles, and truly commit to customer service. This exchange took an unpleasant experience and turned it into my giving the place the highest rating. Other recent comments about the location, room cleanliness, etc are all spot on but its the people at this hotel that make it shine the most.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bartel55
I'm so glad that Clid and his team were able to give you excellent service. Thank you for staying with us and for telling others about your experience. I hope you'll stay with us again.
Weymouth, MA
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We spent two nights in this newly renovated hotel in the charming town of Monterey, with a room overlooking Monterey Bay. The room was large, clean and well appointed, and the staff and concierge were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a Bay- view room. The upgrade is well worth it, and corner rooms are especially lovely.