“Very pleased!”

Ranked #17 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Southwest Florida
“Very pleased!”
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel. Very comfortable and clean. To those who complain about the 'hidden fees', do your research first! I was expecting the 24$ valet fee and knew about the wireless charge in advance -- although it is pricey, if u kno about it in advance its much easier to swallow. I would have a less than favorable comment about the dated bathrooms, but I know they are in the process of remodeling ALL the bathrooms, so i was not bothered by this at all. Overall, very happy with my stay at this Marriott

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NicoleR1983
Rene B, Director of Sales at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and for your review. Other travelers will certainly benefit from your honest assessment. I hope you'll be able to stay with us again after all of our bathrooms have been remodeled. Again, thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The staff was very nice upon arrival. They ensured all of my needs were met and I was able to find somewhere to adventure for that night. The room was very clean and the view was great. My only complain would be that the bed was a little harder than I would prefer at night. Would definitely stay here again given the opportunity.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
I really appreciate your review and am glad you enjoyed your stay. I wish you would have found the bed more comfortable but am happy that it did not detract from your experience. Thank you very much and I hope you'll stay with us again.
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed over a weekend as part of our week vacation. Though we partially chose the property due to the fact I was using Marriott points for one of the nights, we were very happy with the choice. Upon check-in we were upgraded to a water view with small balcony. Our room had a renovated bathroom (they a working to renovate all the bathrooms currently) and nice views of the Monterey Bay.

The bed was very comfortable, there was complimentary water in the room, and a refrigerator that we used to store some beverages. The shower is nice, though the hot water was noticeable "cooler" if you showered late afternoon. The staff was very pleasant and helpful, starting with the valet and bellman teams.

The location is excellent to see Monterey, with only a short walk to Fisherman's Wharf or a nice one mile stroll down the greenway along the water to Cannery Row. Around the hotel you'll find a Starbucks, several bars, a French bakery 4 blocks away, and a Walgreens (in case you forget any toiletries). You are also minutes from Hwy 1 to visit Carmel-By-The-Sea for dinner, etc., or the many other beautiful sights the Monterey Peninsula has to offer.

There is a charge for WiFi, but unfortunately that seems to have become the norm at hotels these days.

Overall, a nice hotel that I can recommend to those looking to stay in Monterey.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
I'm very happy that we could be a part of your California vacation. I'm also very glad that we could give you one of our recently renovated rooms with a beautiful view of Monterey Bay. I hope you were able to explore the best attractions of our wonderful city and the surrounding area while you were here. Thank you for your great review and recommendation. - Rene
Washington, NJ
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Room on the 10th floor is great for any dinner or cocktail party. Beautiful view. Pool was beautiful. Great soup and service at characters. Ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant buffet and loved it. Meeting space was very nicely laid out. Staff was great.

• Stayed October 2013
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
I'm delighted that everything met your highest expectations during your stay with us. Thank you for your feedback, and I will certainly pass your compliments on to Michelle. I hope we can welcome you back soon for more delicious meals and stellar service. - Rene
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Chose to spend one night here because of its convenient location. Love Marriott, but the more expensive the property, the fewer the amenities . Why is that, J.W.? Wi-fi comes with a charge here, as does breakfast and coffee. So, we ate at a cafe down the street with free wi-fi. The points do add up, and the room was nice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm happy that you enjoyed our well-appointed rooms and convenient location during your stay with us. Thank you for sharing your review, and I hope we can welcome you back for another great stay in Monterey. - Rene
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for three nights October 3rd, 4th and 5th, and it was okay. We aren't usually the type to complain, but we will share the good and not-so-good just for your information. The location is good, about a 10 minute walk to Fishermen's Wharf, but FYI too far from Cannery Row to walk. The lobby and public areas are lovely, but our room was a little tired (the bathroom looked like it needed a reno). The room, however, was exceptionally large, with a open entrance way and large bathroom area to the right, and a separate large bedroom to the left. The room was bright, with a number of windows, but we found the neighborhood quite noisy, with car alarms frequently going off a night. The hotel parking attendants and bellmen were friendly and helpful, but two of the three front desk staff were grumpy/argumentative and completely uninformed (one confidently telling us over and over that internet would be $15.95 per day per device, per calendar day, until she was corrected by co-worker - it's actually $7.95 per day for up to 4 devices, noon to noon). FYI, room service charges an automatic 18% gratuity, something that we (seasoned travellers) don't usually see and thought was a little presumptuous. As frequent Marriott "Elite" rewards customers we weren't as satisfied with this Marriott as we are with most.

Room Tip: To avoid the street noise, ask for a higher room and perhaps one not facing the main street.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Greg R
Thank you for sharing your review. I'm happy that you enjoyed our spacious rooms and convenient proximity to the best in Monterey. I'm dismayed to hear about the confusion over the internet fees, but I'm glad that it was properly sorted out. I will bring this up at the next management meeting to make sure that all our employees are completely clear about this. We have many rooms with amazing views of the ocean, so I hope we can welcome you back to experience these on your next trip. - Rene
London
Reviewed October 11, 2013

All the other reviews have said it. Smallish but nice rooms, great location for downtown Monterey. Friendly staff. As reward members we scored free internet so that's good. Parking pricey. Surprised to find no room safe?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for adding your voice to our TripAdvisor reviews. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay like the vast majority of our other guests, and I hope you were able to make the most of our beautiful location in downtown Monterey. We do have safes available upon request, so please do not hesitate to ask if you need your valuables secured on a future visit. - Rene