“Great location, professional staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Monterey Marriott

Monterey Marriott
Ranked #14 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
San Jose, California
“Great location, professional staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

The hotel is located across from the Monterey wharf and a short walk (about 1.2 miles) from Cannery Row. The staff are friendly and very customer focused. We always were greeted (by name) at the front desk and the staff members offered advice and assistance with an upbeat attitude. Our room, on the seventh floor, was very quiet and very comfortable. Overall we had a very enjoyable weekend visit.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
I'm delighted that we could welcome you from nearby San Jose for a quick weekend "staycation." I'm glad that our staff made you feel at home as well, and I hope you enjoyed exploring downtown Monterey from the convenience of our great location. Thank you for sharing your review. - Rene

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

The Marriott in Monterey is beautiful, great service and very good location for sightseeing. The local bus is right out at the next corner and runs down to Cannery Row. The small art museum is on the street behind the hotel. And it's all near Pacific Grove, which is beautiful! Restaurant is good but expensive for hotel food. Several restaurants in the area and good seafood in Pacific Grove. Hotel bar is nice but small. I'd go back!

Room Tip: Bus is nearby, saves a very long walk to Cannery Row and you get to see the city!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your wonderful review and recommendation. We strive to provide the best customer service in the heart of Monterey. I'm very happy that you enjoyed exploring this beautiful city from our convenient location, and I want to thank you for providing the Cannery Row bus tip to the TripAdvisor community. We look forward to your next visit. - Rene
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I recently stayed at the Marriott in Monterey bay Ca. It was for my first wedding anniversary. I called Marriot specifically in order to get a good room. I requested a bay view and confirmed with the operator that it would be a good view. When I arrived at my room, it was a view of the city and a partial view of the Bay when I stood against the window. My wife didn't seem to mind so I let it go. When we returned to the room at night and went to bed, we noticed our pillows were a quarter of the normal size and uncomfortable at best. It was extremely late and we just toughed it out. In the morning I attempted to use the express check out through the TV and decided to leave a note about the pillows. When the program tried to access the survey, it froze on the loading screen. I proceeded to go down stairs and stand in line to check out. When I approached the attendant and checked out, she asked how my stay was. I told her the pillows were not very comfortable. Instead of apologizing she told me, I should have called the front desk for another pillow option. I shouldn't have to ask for a normal sized pillow. Every other hotel I have stayed at provides the highest quality bedding. I definitely will not be staying at Marriott again and there are better options in the area.

Room Tip: I specifically asked for a good room, paid a premium, and didn't receive it. If you want a good...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Neal T
Thank you for your feedback. I'm dismayed to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. I am sending you a private message now so I can personally follow up. - Rene
Poway, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

I had a very good stay at the Monterey Marriott while attending a trade show at the Monterey Convention Center. As you pull up you'll see a sizable valet staff scurrying around directing cars onto the driveway and parking them in the garage. The reason for the staff is that the hotel has no self-parking, so the only real choice is to valet park.

The hotel has a big beautiful lobby which not only enables you to easily get to the check-in counter, but offers seating (and even a small TV) while waiting for others to come downstairs. There's a concierge desk to the left of the check-in counter, where you can have any special arrangements, taken care of. At the right end of the lobby is the hotel's restaurant and at the left end, even though it's not visible, there's the Characters night club which opens at 11:00 am for lunch. To access it, take the passageway to the left of the elevators.

The Marriott is all about service and this hotel is no different. Their service is excellent in every respect.

The rooms are not remarkable, but they are more than adequate (although I'm not so sure about the decor). I'm no decorator but the yellow and white striped wallpaper doesn't seem to go with the modern headboard or the orange floral carpet in the hallways. Oh well. I do like the fact that the sink area is walled off from the bedroom area to cut down on noise.

There's cable TV in the room that gets every conceivable sports channel and a pay-per-view channel. I love sports, but really, can we get some other programming too? The rooms also have a sliding glass door that leads to a small balcony where you can gaze out onto the beautiful hillside or the pool below. The bed was a bit firmer than I like, but since I was very tired each night, I had no problem getting to sleep. There's a small room just past the elevators that has a soda machine and an ice machine.

The hotel's Wi-Fi is configured backwards. The upload bandwidth is about 5 times the download bandwidth, hello!

The convention center is just across the side street, so it is really easy to walk to tradeshows from the hotel. There's even an elevated walkway from the hotel to the convention center (very handy). The hotel is also just a block away from the downtown shopping area and you can easily walk to the stores and restaurants.

Monterey is an expensive area, so be prepared to pay a lot for things. There are several Italian restaurants in the area, r.g. Burgers, Subway, Starbucks, Round Table Pizza (with decent pizzas), and a few bagel shops. About a mile and a half up the street from the hotel is a Denny's where you can get a great breakfast for an affordable price. For lunch and dinner, I highly recommend Rosine's restaurant where they make big, tasty sandwiches for a great price.

The one con for the area, is that Monterey has a sizable homeless population and pretty much everywhere you go in the downtown area, there are people begging for money.

If you walk across the street, past the convention center, you will see a beautiful pier and "boardwalk" (actually a concrete path along the ocean). There are several seafood restaurants that line both sides of the pier and you can easily spend an hour gazing at the sea lions swimming in the water or sunning themselves on anything that doesn't move. Absolutely gorgeous.

I came back one night with half a pizza in the box and was delighted to discover there's a small fridge in the room. How cool is that. Then the following day I was going downstairs to see if the guys in the Characters restaurant could heat it up for me, and suprisingly there was a microwave in the lobby just to the right of the check-in counter! Way to go Marriott!!!

Room Tip: There is a pool, and fitness center at the hotel. Make sure your room is nowhere near either of the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for your wonderfully-detailed review. I'm happy to hear that you felt at home with us during your business trip, and I'm glad that you were able to explore some of our beautiful city while you were here. I hope we can welcome you back for a more vacation-oriented trip next time. - Rene
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

I enjoyed my two-night stay at the Marriott Monterey and found the hotel to be perfectly adequate for all of my needs. When planning my trip, Monterey was only supposed to be a place to rest my head at night, while exploring Big Sur and the California coastline, but I was pleasantly surprised to find so much to see and do in Monterey proper, and its neighboring town, Carmel-by-the-Sea.

Guest reception and check-in was quick and efficient; everyone at the front desk was always very friendly and helpful. The guest room was of a good size and provided a small, step-out balcony with sliding glass door. Coming from hot and humid Florida, I loved being able to let a little of the fresh, cool Monterey air in. The king-size bed was comfortable, although I had that certain pillow problem where one pillow was too few and two pillows were too much, but didn't experience any kind of headache or neck pain the next day, so this was really of no consequence. I found the room to be in good working order, and like many Marriott hotels, it offered an adequate number of electrical outlets. I didn't use the hotel's internet, so I cannot comment on the speed, but know that it's usually an additional fee for WiFi unless you book a package that includes it. The bathroom configuration was a little different, with the sink area cordoned off from the bedroom by a dividing wall, and the water closet (toilet) and combination shower/bathtub in its own separate section, with a sliding wooden door. The water pressure in the shower was definitely wonky, difficult to get proper water flow from the shower head; and negotiating the water temperature was also tricky, both in the shower and in the sink.

The guest room offered a large, flat-screen TV with an adequate number of channels. Air conditioning was in good working order, and I could set (and maintain) the desired room temperature without hindrance (no rationing of A/C or motion detector that turns off the climate control when the guest is out of the room or asleep); I was very thankful for this. Bottles of water in the room were exorbitantly overpriced, however; you would be well advised to walk to the drug store, all of two blocks away and buy your own water.

Monterey has two separate commercial hubs; the hotel is located in the pedestrian-friendly downtown area, with lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the property. It's actually a cute little area, and if you're lucky enough to be staying during the weekly farmer's market, you'll be treated to an array of different vendors bringing in some delicious food. This is a must-visit. There's also the Cannery Row hub in Monterey, where the aquarium is located, just a short drive away. I wouldn't really call it walking distance, however, but for those with a car, the distance is of no issue really.

I had but one issue with my room condition. Upon my arrival, while the room was fairly clean, I did notice hair on the bedspread and in the bathtub. It wasn't the end of the world, but I got the impression that the housekeeper was simply in a rush and hadn't noticed what I thought was an obvious problem. I did some light cleaning, and all was well.

As other reviewers have mentioned, valet parking is $24 per night. I believe off-site self-parking is available elsewhere in town, but I'm not sure what the rates or rules are. I didn't notice any street parking nearby, and would probably have avoided it in any case (parking rules change due to street cleaning and what not, so that's a risk). The valet parking charge was a little surprising because I hadn't expected it in Monterey, after staying in Los Angeles and San Francisco, so I would urge Marriott to offer room packages that include parking in the future (if they don't already). The valets weren't the friendliest I've met, but were quick to fetch your car.

As for street noise, I actually reached out to the hotel manager in advance of my stay (thanks to other reviewers on TripAdvisor), and she suggested I take a room facing the interior courtyard which is more shielded from street noise than other room locations. I was really fortunate to be assigned a room facing the interior courtyard, but could still see Monterey Bay just to the north from my step-out balcony. So, if you're a light sleeper, or those typical city noises wake you up, aim for the courtyard-facing rooms on a higher floor, if possible.

For those of you looking for quick access to California Highway 1, the hotel is in an excellent location. It's a short drive back to CA-1, without having to stay right off the highway, but still affords a good central location in the heart of the downtown area. And if you need directions, do make sure you refer to it as Highway 1; having just been in Southern California, I referred to it as "PCH" (Pacific Coast Highway) and was mocked by the valet attendants for doing so.

I can't speak about the food and beverage service at the hotel, although I believe there is a complimentary continental breakfast (some room packages offer a full buffet breakfast), and there's also a sports bar known as "Characters" right on-site. I prefer to get out of hotels in order to eat, and there were some excellent restaurants within walking distance, including a British pub directly across the street offering tasty "pub grub" like fish and chips, cottage pie and an assortment of domestic and imported beers. There's also a Starbucks all of one block away for those, like me, who need their dependable blend of caffeine in the morning.

I got a pretty good rate with my AAA membership, and also learned that rates change based on availability, so it's a good idea to check rates more than once to see if the price has changed at all. If my travel plans brought me back to Monterey, I would stay at the Marriott again. While it's comparable to other three-star Marriotts, between the rates and the location, I would certainly consider returning. There are higher-end properties in Monterey, but they also charge a small fortune and it just didn't seem worth it. There are also cheaper hotels (most of which are right off of the highway), and some of those hotels don't even have in-room A/C. Yikes! In the end, the Marriott is the perfect middle-of-the-road hotel for all your needs in Monterey.

Lastly, the hotel manager and senior room operations manager were both very helpful and willing to assist guests in any way they could. If you have any questions or problems during your stay, or even in advance of your stay, I would strongly suggest speaking to one of these two lovely professionals; they were both very gracious and helpful, and I really owe them my gratitude and appreciation.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the interior courtyard are quieter, somewhat shielded from street noise. If you like to...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank gridskip
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderfully detailed review. Your feedback is important to us as well as our future guests, so I really appreciate your feedback. I'm very happy that you had a great stay with us in Monterey overall, and I'm glad you decided to explore some of this beautiful city while you were here. I hope we can welcome you back again on your next trip to Monterey. - Rene
Orlando, Florida, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Great location.
Sub-standard Marriott - very small rooms, with Motel-6-style vanity/toilet/shower area (even for alleged "upgraded" rooms); Convention hotel so pretty noisy and loud throughout.
Expensive in-season but all of Monterey/Carmel is.
Despite being a Marriott Platinum Member, the full breakfast (buffet) is not included, only their "continental" is, which is the first I've experienced this. The full breakfast is charged at an additional $5.00 - talk about nickle and dime (especially after a $289 room charge). It wasn't that good anyway which is atypical of a full-service Marriott.
Finally, they failed to credit bonus points, then argued with me about it, even after receiving a memo upon check-in they would be credited.
Valet Parking was great - prompt, courteous, and friendly. Usually for the rip-off $24/nite, this service lacks, but not here.
Overall, great location, expensive, and poor customer service by the Marriott folks.

Room Tip: Stay far away from elevators - very noisy veranda in front of elevators; Rooms are fairly small for...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Albert S
Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad that you enjoyed our convenient location and attentive valets, but I'm dismayed to hear about the other issues that you experienced. I am sending you a private message now so I can follow up. - Steven
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed whilst on holiday with 3 children for one night in transit from San Francisco ahead of a big drive to Anaheim the next day.
The staff, valet, and breakfast crew, were all very attentive and prompt.
The room view was to the pacific was appreciated. The unexpected / unplanned highlight was the easy stroll to the local waterfront precinct with multiple dinning options, lolly shops, and frolicking seals. We would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
I'm delighted that your family was able to get a taste of beautiful Monterey on your California vacation. Our convenient location is perfect for exploring the best of Downtown, and I'm glad that you were able to experience our gorgeous views. I hope you can visit us again in the future. - Rene