“Family Friendly Marriott”
Review of Monterey Marriott

Monterey Marriott
Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed June 9, 2008

My husband had a conference in Monterey and we stayed at this Marriott 2 nights with our three children. The location was great. His conference was at the conference center at the Portola Plaza Hotel and we thought there would be a little walk to his conference, but the Marriott is right across a little street and they are even connected with a foot bridge. We chose the Marriott over the Portola Plaza because it has a pool (Portola Plaza's pool is closed for renovation). The staff was very friendly. They happily offered and brought up a roll-away bed for us (not the fold in half kind, but a real mattress). They really are great with the kids, upon checking-in they gave each of our kids a "treasure hunt" game where they were supposed to located certain things around the hotel and jot their answers on a paper. They turned the paper in at the front desk and received a treasure box with a stuffed otter (better than buying an over priced one at the Monterey Bay Aquarium) and some chocolate gold coins. The only negative thing was that there was some kind of gap at the top of the window in our bedroom and there was a bit of a draft and when it was windy, it made a whistling sound. Once we closed the black-out drapes, it didn't seem to be a problem. Thanks for a nice stay!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Monterey Marriott

Reviewed April 29, 2008

My husband was attending a conference in Monterey and I went along for the ride. We stayed at the Marriott and had a very pleasant stay. Most of the staff went above and beyond to help you out. We did find a couple to be less than attentive. But over all we felt very welcomed. We were not paying the tab here otherwise I would have been unhappy with the $20 per day parking fee plus valet tips! I have stayed in San Francisco many times but I don't think I paid more than about $8-10 in parking fees. It was also difficult because we couldn't get to our car unless it was brought up by the valet. I had left some things in the car and it was very inconvenient to retrieve them. The rooms are very nice. Plenty of space too. We had a great view of the bay which I really enjoyed. But it is noisy as the street is right below. I ate lunch once at the restaurant and it was very good. The price was OK too. This was one area I found the staff to be very helpful and really attentive. Never used the pool, spa or gym, but I walked everywhere! The hotel is really centrally located for this. Really appreciated this aspect. Oh I also wanted to mention that this is a hotel that caters to businessmen why do they charge so much for internet use? It is $9.95 a day!
Enjoyed our stay and would return.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed March 28, 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights while attending a work related conference held at the hotel. The best part of this hotel is the location. It is conveniently located in the heart of downtown near shopping, restaurants, and historical points of interest, and is just a couple of blocks away from Fisherman's Wharf.

The hotel is not very attractive from the outside, but is inviting and comfortable on the inside. The lobby is very large with lots of seating for relaxing or doing whatever. Check in went smoothly and staff were pleasant and eager to make your stay as nice a possible. The room was small, but nicely furnished and comfortable...kind of Marriott Express like. The bed was very comfortable with lots of pillows. The flat-panel TV had a nice large screen. The bathroom was not very private, with the toilet and shower behind a thin pocket door, and the sink open to the room.

The conference facilities were nice with lots of meeting rooms. We got a good price on the room at about $100. Add the $19/day valet parking fee and taxes and the total came to about $140 per night.

3  Thank slowolf
Reviewed March 25, 2008

Let me start off by saying that I am a Marriott Rewards member, and therefore, some may feel that I am biased.

I have stayed at the monterey Marriott numerous times for leisure. My last stay was for a business trip. The reservation was booked online through the Marriott website. I had booked a standard king size room. Upon ariving to the hotel and checking in I was advised that they had my my marriott rewards number on file and had been upgraded.

Of course, I had no qualms. Upon entering my room I was surprised that a bottle of wine was in my room, the room had a balcony and a wonderful view.

The hotel has a bar downstairs which is above average, however, why bother when the hotel is situally located near greatbars, specifically the Martini Bar, Lalapolooza. Over 15 different type of martinis, it's also a full bar and restaurant.

This hotel is well worth the price, actually all Marriotts are. My only complaint is the $9.99 price for internet service.

I'm certain to visit this hotel again!

3  Thank ElkGrove81
Reviewed March 23, 2008

Enjoyed our stay. Room very nice and clean. Loved how the bathroom and bathroom area was set up. Pool was heated which the kids loved. Staff nice. Great location and staff.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank LovesVacations94
Reviewed March 9, 2008

I was a guest at the Monterey Marriott the week of March 3 - 7, as a part of a large conference being held at the hotel and at the nearby Naval Postgraduate School.

I was greeted warmly upon arrival; the front desk acknowledged my 'gold' status and informed me that I had been upgraded to a "junior suite".

The room on the 8th floor (870) was clean and spacious and featured large flat screen televisions in the sitting room and bedroom. For some inexpicable reason, the default volume setting upon turning on the TV is "nearly deafening".

The housekeeping staff did a decent job over the course of the week, though ocassionally I would return to find open windows or note that my toiletries had been re-arranged.

The fee for valet parking ($19/day) is obscene. Others have noted the public parking garage two streets away. I used the valet the first night before switching to the pubic garage. A $5 entrance fee is collected by an automated machine - cash or credit.

The hotel is situated across the street from a fisherman's wharf area - there are multiple seafood venues. The two restaurants I sampled were quite good. Free samples of the house chowder were being handed out as I passed by. On Tuesday, there was a very nice outdoor Farmer's Market on the next street over.

One bad thing that is important to note for business travelers: the "high speed" internet runs $9.95/day. The "business center" is a small, broiling hot room near the conceierge desk. A handful of fans circulate the stale air inside. The public-access computers are essentially worthless - they are extremely slow and outdated. I required 3 attempts and 40 minutes to print my boarding passes on Thursday evening. Another guest told me that the printer had been down all week. In any case, the condition of this room and the computers inside was positively shameful.

The exercise room on the 2nd floor was well equipped, but a bit cramped. All of the cardio machines included an LCD television with an individual headphone jack. I noticed a single out-of-order machine. The gym also included a weightlifting bench.

I did not eat in any of the hotel's restaurants, but enjoy the daily breakfasts catered for the conference.

2  Thank gcmanke2
Reviewed March 6, 2008

i called the hotel on the way into monterey and asked for the best rate (having researched it previously on the web). I settled on a senior rate for $169 for a double-double. i checked in within 15 minutes of the call and they had an elite room upgraded for us. we received a bay view corner room on the 5th floor. the valet, front desk and bellhop were all very courteous and attentive. the room was well equipped, everything in working order, including a flat screen & starbuchs coffee in room. i enjoyed a respectable glass of wine in the bar before dinner. the front desk provided restaurant recommendations, coupons and good directions. we all enjoyed dinner and the short walk to and from the wharf area. the cold breakfast was well tended with a wide assortment of fresh fruit and smoked salmon. the overall experience was very pleasant. every aspect of the service provided was outstanding.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family