“Monterey Marriott...A Nice hotel...”
Review of Monterey Marriott

Monterey Marriott
Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I chose this hotel because it was a Marriott and my wife is a Platinum rewards member…
I was not disappointed with the surrounding area it was very nice and I felt safe walking around at night. There are several restaurants within walking distance.
As for the hotel itself, the staff was very helpful and professional and they made my wife and I feel welcome as their guests. Check in was expedited quickly and courteously not much else to say about that. I had to pay for valet parking and wifi was not included, Boo…
The room was a regular room with king bed. The room was clean. The bed was as I remembered Marriott beds to be and was quite comfortable for my taste.
We did not eat at the hotel. One of the hotel staff suggested Old Fisherman’s Grotto it was within a five minute walk and was very good.

All in all staying at the Marriott Monterey was a good experience and I would stay there again...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Happy to hear that you had a great time exploring Monterey! We're very happy that you had a pleasant stay with us, and we hope you were able to take advantage of the free WiFi in the Lobby. Thank you for the wonderful review, and we hope to see you again on your next vacation.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,359)

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I'm a Marriott Rewards member and stay almost exclusively in their hotels, but my wife and I arrived in Monterey without a reservation. They had a room, and found enough points in my Rewards account to make it a free room. I did have to pay $20 for valet parking, but worth it not to have to drive my car and have to leave it two blocks from the hotel. Due to my Rewards status, we were given a voucher for the buffet breakfast.
The lobby was huge, gracious and spotless, and our pleasant room afforded a partial view of the bay.
We spent the afternoon hiking the wharf and Cannery Row, and were so exhausted that evening we decided to have something to eat in "Characters" the hotel's sports bar. You know what? My burger was terrific and my wife's chicken dish was more than satisfactory.
The buffet breakfast the next morning was sumptuous and included custom-made omelets.
I look forward to visiting Monterey and this Marriott again.

Room Tip: Get a bay view!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you for the great review of our hotel and sports bar! We're delighted that we could accommodate you on short notice, and it sounds like you had a great time exploring the beautiful surrounding area. We look forward to seeing you again on your next vacation to Monterey!

Reviewed May 2, 2013

The staff and service throughout the hotel was exceptional. My sister and I recently visited and enjoyed this facility so much. Everyone was helpful, and friendly. We were met with a smile wherever we went.

The breakfast buffet was scrumptious, and the variety offered was incredible! The hotel is centrally located, right downtown, close to the wharf area, and great restaurants. So easy to get to, and the valet parking is really worth it. The staff working this area, where so prompt and courteous. We really appreciated everyone!

Room Tip: Rooms with a view are truly worth it!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

And we appreciated you! Thank you for the wonderful review. We're so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us in downtown Monterey, and we hope you won't wait too long to visit us again!

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I was very, very impressed with this hotel based mostly on the management that obviously takes good care of the property and trains its staff well. In addition, as a Platinum Rewards member, I was well-taken-care-of when an error on my part led to a reservation made on a date that had passed. When I checked in the charges were immediately removed from my credit card and a nice room was found for us on the spot despite the hotel being nearly full. We were greeted warmly in the restaurant both mornings and received great service and enjoyed breakfast selections on the buffet. It's also in a nice location, a 20 minute walk from the Aquarium, Cannery Row and the wharf. Rooms were well-appointed. Upon checkout, there was another snafu that was quickly and sensitively resolved by the accounting department.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AKTennisNut
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

We'll be sure to pass your compliments on to our management team! Thank you for the wonderful review. We're delighted that you had a great stay with us despite the obstacles. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Monterey!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I recently stayed at this Marriott during a convention. This trip was a mix of business and pleasure. The hotel rooms are very clean and decorated very nicely. I requested a room facing the harbor, which had a spectacular view of the sunrise. My only complaint was the lack of complimentary coffee in the morning.

Since I had to be up and out before the restaurant opened...6:30 I had to go without coffee or breakfast. As a platinum member I am entitled to complimentary breakfast, but had to pay for a cup of coffee from their coffee bar which opened at 6am. This is the first Marriott I have found to not have free coffee for its guests.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for the wonderful review, but we're sorry that you didn't get any complimentary coffee! In fact, we have complimentary coffee machines in each armoire that allow you to make coffee free of charge. We hope you will stay with us again and take advantage of this!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel is without a doubt in the best possible location of Monterey, however that's where the advantages end.

The room is average in terms of size for this area, however the TV is painfully small and most of the channels had a great deal of fuzziness or pixilation to the point of some cable channels simply not working for minutes on end.

There is no mini-fridge so I figured I would walk down to ice/vending area and get a bottle of water, and fill my ice bucket. After a long, long walk to the area I discovered the vending machines were out of water.

I wanted to order room service, so I opened up the standard issue Marriott binder and opened it up to services, scrolled to "room service" and it said "see separate room service tab"... Well, there was no room service tab so my room was completely without a menu to order room service.

I am a platinum Marriott member, and frequent Monterey. It is my suggestion that you consider The Portolo Hotel next door, I have stayed there and find it to be vastly superior to the Marriott, and even though I cannot collect any rewards points there, it will be where I stay from now on.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Andrew K
Rene B, General Manager at Monterey Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Thank you for staying with us, we appreciate that you're a Platinum Member. Thank you for bringing your concerns to us. We've brought them to the attention of our management staff. Should you be in the area again please let us know, we'd like to be able to make things up to you.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

This hotel is a great spot right in downtown. You can easily walk to the wharf and lots of nice spots close to the hotel. We usually stay a little out of town when visiting but it was nice to be right in the middle of everything. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

We're delighted that you enjoyed the Downtown Monterey experience! Thank you for the great review, and we hope to see you again soon!