“great hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Jersey
“great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2007

My friends and i arrived in Monterey and searched for a hotel on a whim. The Marriott certainly wasn't the cheapest, but was very comfortable, clean and friendly.

The best thing about the hotel other than it's comfort and pleasant staff is it's great location - it's a couple of streets away from Fisherman's Wharf and in a lovely area of the town with all the amenities on the doorstep. We wandered around the local street market and then down to the wharf for dinner (touristy, but less tacky by miles than the one in San Francisco - full of locals, which is always a good sign).

Locals are incredibly friendly and the town has a really lovely vibe.

We'd love to go back!

• Liked — The good quality hotel and great location
  • Disliked — It's a chain, but a reliable one
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank GrisventreJersey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2007

When we arrived, I was not allowed to leave my car for a few minutes while I helped unload luggage. Thus, I had to wait in the car while my mom (70 years old) and my wife (handling an infant and a 4 year old) grab a cart and take the luggage to our room (no bellhop was visible or offered). The room smelled awful, like water damage/mold from under the carpet. In the evening when I wanted to park my car, the valet said it would be easier for me to self-park and directed me to a lot. I pointed to my vehicle and said that since I have a roof box, I need a lot that has at least 8 feet of clearance...he said I should be fine. I drove to the lot he instructed me to and its clearance was 6' 8". I drove around for 15 minutes and could not find a lot in the immediate area that would take my vehicle (this is something I asked about when I was booking my room weeks ago, the front desk said it should be no problem)... I luckily found a spot on the street 3 blocks from the hotel. The neighbors were loud and boisterous until 2 am (not really a hotel responsibility, but for others to keep in mind of the atmosphere of the place) At check out time, there were only two people at the front desk to help with checking out, there were lines, and we had to wait 20 minutes to get help. The person at the front desk did not ask how was our stay, so at the end of our conversation, on my own initiative, I told her that I was completely disappointed by our stay, told her all bout the aforementioned, and said that I will never stay at their hotel again nor will I recommend the hotel to anyone I know. All I got from her was "I'm sorry that your stay was not pleasant" but it was said with a tone of voice and facial expression that was not sincere, in fact she acted offended. She did not offer to get me a manager or offer anything to make up for my bad experience.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service and upkeep of rooms
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank PookiesDad
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2007

We stayed at the Monterey Marriott during the last weekend in July 2007. As others have noted, the staff (with the exception of one concierge who seemingly couldn't wait to answer our questions and send us on our way) was extremely gracious and friendly. The breakfast was terrific and the pool facilities were very nice, although a little chilly in the late afternoon when the air temperatures fall quickly. The walk to the Fisherman's Wharf was very quick (5 minutes with lots to see and buy) and we did not mind the 20 minute walk to the Aquarium as we walked along the water for most of the way, saw scuba classes getting underway, looked for sealife (seals sleeping on the rocks), found some seaglass on a rocky beach (you'll have to climb down) and enjoyed seeing the town wake up. We had paid a premium rate in order to get tix to the Aquarium and breakfast. I didn't realize at the time that the tix were two-days tix (so plan accordingly). The room was nice enough (nice view of the water, very comfy bed, room for a rollaway to fit comfortably, but the bathroom was connected via a rather cheap pocket door that made noise whenever you closed it (thus waking up family members in the middle of the night). The room AC did not work very well (no air flow was coming out and while the night was cool, the room was still very warm, perhaps because it was on the side of the building that received afternoon sun) so we called for maintenance. The man who came to work on the AC system told us that because of the hotel structural design, the system really did not work very well at all and there was nothing he could do for us. He said that all of the rooms had this problem except for the suites and offered to bring us a fan which we accepted because with the noise from the street, we did not want to leave the window open. Overall, I'd gladly come to Monterey again (so we could explore more of the tidal pools between Monterey and Carmel, perhaps go on sailing trip), but I'd look for another place to stay.

• Liked — Proximity to attractions
  • Disliked — Price for what you get. We shouldn't have to use a fan to cool down when spending several hundred per night.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank junodee
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2007

Loved - the location. Close to Fisherman's Wharf. The breakfast was also good, but not included in the room charge.
Needs improvement - More TV channels for kids. Add Disney or Nick. Bathroom door was a pocket door. I would have thought that a Marriott would have a normal bathroorn door that you could lock. Also, the pillows were huge. There were two small ones and two huge ones on each bed. Not very comfortable for sleeping.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — bathroom door
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Orange County, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2007

If Marriott considers this a "6" rating I would not want to see a lower rating. Although the lobby was beautiful, and the staff was friendly, the rooms.......well, basic Marriott style rooms. The tv was outdated, the noise from the street and nearby rooms was intolerable., and the location was less than desired. The website said it was walking distance to the Aquarium - I disagree. But....we all agreed, it was the worst night sleep on on our vacation. Monterey has turned into another tourist stop with too much emphasis on shopping and mediocre restaurants. I live in Orange County near many of the best shopping malls in the country, and near many excellent restaurants. I don't go on vacation to shop and eat, and have recently started avoiding areas that emphasize this a draw. Monterey has just been put on the "Don't bother going back list." The Aquarium, although an excellent aquarium, was too crowded. Next time we will pass on the Marriott and Monterey and stay an additional night in San Francisco. Very disappointing.

• Liked — Beautifuly Lobby, Nice Staff, Good Exercsie Room.
  • Disliked — Rooms were outdated and noisy.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Fresno, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2007

My boyfriend and I went away for a romantic birthday weekend. The Marriott is pricey, but well worth what you pay. After walking in we both found ourselves being more then invited by the staff. They were so helpful, courteouse, and genuine. I told the lady (Kathrine) at the front desk about our weekend ahead. It was a surpise I had planned. After listening she gave me a free room upgrade to a room with a balcony, and sent us on our way to the 9th floor. I couldn't have hand picked a better view! It was priceless. Then the next day we went to Big Sur. We came back to the hotel to find choclate covered strawberrys, champagne, and the poem "Footprints." We opened the attached card that said have a great birthday weekend, thank you for your stay here at the Marriott, From katherine at the Front Desk!!! I was amazed at the great lengths she went. It truly made us feel so special.

The hotel itself was wonderful with great views, room service, staff, location, and comfort. They always helped when we needed anything. If you are looking for a great place to relax be sure to check the Marriott out.

• Liked — Location, it was close to downtown for the night scene, freeway access, and the Wharf. It was also minutes from the Aqarium
  • Disliked — It was great
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WideEyed83
Circusfolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2007

Took a day trip up Highway 1from LA. The hotel was great after a long day of driving. It is close to some wonderful restaurants. Quiet area and was great to sleep with the windows open instead of the air conditioner.

The rooms were very large and have he shower/tub and toilet separate from the sink/vanity.

I love the new Marriott bedding package they have installed.

I stayed midweek so the town itself was rather quiet

• Liked — Great location Very clean quality room and bedding
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends