Mariposa Inn and Suites
The Stevenson Monterey(Monterey)(Great Value!)
$119
Travelocity
Colton Inn(Monterey)(Great Value!)
$159
$151
Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa(Monterey)
$194
$179
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewsmurphy bedbagelswhole foodscontinental breakfastgas fireplacehot tubcannery rowboutique hotelfree parkingbusy streetwaffle makerminute drivethe breakfast areagreat roomstayed here for one nightdowntown montereywonderful stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 18, 2011

First we arrived, got to our room only to find that the toilet was overflowing with feces and the smell was horrific! We immeditely called the front desk and they said that maintenance would come to our room. We then went to dinner and came back to find a letter stating that they had to move us to another room (this was after they told us no other rooms were available upon check-in). The rooms are very nicely appointed and the decor is fantastic! When checking out, we noticed that the sign said "January Special, stay 2 nights and get the 2nd night at 50% off" when I asked if we could have that deal (we did stay 2 nights) they said no because we didn't ask for that deal in advance! I cannot believe the rudeness of the staff...

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2011

We stayed there for two nights in January and honestly, I can say that I have never experienced such great value for my money at any hotel.
In January they had this special deal that if you stayed for two nights, you got 50% off on the second night. At the end I paid $71 per night, and honestly it was worth at least twice as much. The hotel was apparently recently remodeled and everything looked brand new.
Usually when you stay at a hotel in such a great location and for less than $150 a night, you only get the basics. Everything looks kind of cheap and old and you have the feeling that 2,000 people slept in your room before. At the Mariposa it's different. Everything is neat, modern and clean.
I can also mention the fireplace in the room, the A/C unit, the flat screen, the iPod dock, the big bath tub...etc There is also a pool outside with a steaming jacuzzi that made us regret not bringing our swimsuits!
There are some nice terraces to have breakfast or a drink by the pool.
There is also a very nice shopping center across the street.

On top of that, you get complimentary internet (I can't stand hotels that charge you for using the wifi), complimentary breakfast, and a nice one, not some bad orange juice and a couple old donuts from two days ago. In the room you have a fridge, a safe and a coffee maker.

To make it short, I believe the place where you get the best value for your money is Vegas, and everyone knows why. You get great deals on rooms because they expect you to spend your money gambling and on all the additional services they can provide. I believe regarding value for money the Mariposa Inn is up to Vegas standards. That's it.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I grew up in the Monterey area and I never knew this place was here. It is right across from the Del Monte Shopping Center on Munras. My hubby and I found this hotel on Tripadvisor so we booked it for $69.00 for one night. There were a lot of good reviews about the hotel but they didn't really prepare us for what a nice little hotel this really was. We expected a nice clean little hotel and thought we got an amazing deal.

When we checked in however we found our room to be far superior to our expectations. This was as nice as a Hyatt or Hilton hotel and just a fraction of the cost. It's just so darn cute! The rooms were beautifully appointed, the bed was comfy and the atmosphere was nice and quiet and wi-fi is included. There is a covered parking structure, which is good if you like to do motorcycle touring as we do (although we drove this time). Breakfast was actually really nice. Just the typical continental stuff, pastries, yogurt toast, granola bars. But it was all name brand, quality stuff.

There were two negatives though. 1) the room was drafty and we were there in December so it was cold. 2) The hot water was very inconsistent. It cut out constantly. The draft was easily fixed, I just rolled up a towel and put against the threshold. The water, was not so easily rectified and it was in all honesty a problemfor us. My poor hubby nearly nicked himself to death because the water went cold while he was shaving.

Other than that, the hotel was great, I would stay there again. The hot water problem could have just been in our room. I would really give it a try, it is a great little place.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2010

Every year I go to Monterey for a little "me" time. I've been doing this for 17 years and have stayed a lot of places. The Mariposa rates as one of the best places I have stayed.
Because I stay for 5 nights, I do some online searching to find a nice place for as little money as I can. Their winter special (and AAA) rate of $80.10 per night can't be beat for this quality room. I have stayed some places that weren't anywhere near as nice as this.
I was in room 302. Very quiet, large king size bed, gas fireplace, flat screen TV with plenty of channels, desk, coffee maker, fridge, microwave. One nice touch is the couch/lounge for sitting. I hate having to sit on the bed to watch TV. The room was immaculate when I got there and was made up nicely every day.
There is a pool and hot tub. Though I didn't use them (I know it's California but it was only in the 50's during the day), there were other people enjoying them.
Breakfast was bagels, english muffins and toast, yogurt, sweet rolls, muffins, hot and some cold cereal, juices and coffee. More than adequate for a hotel.
If I have to find something to complain about it would be the bed. I didn't find the mattress to be very comfortable. Please keep in mind that at home I have been spoiled by a TempurPedic so almost any other bed doesn't compare.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 29, 2010

We chose to stay at the Mariposa Inn in Monterey a second time due to the lovely rooms and amenities. The last time we stayed there, we did hear everything going on in the next room. We took a gamble that this time might be a little quieter. Unfortunately, we were in a room next to a young couple that decided to party until 1 a.m. The walls are so thin, that you can hear everything. Because of our lack of sleep, we had trouble getting up the next morning. When we asked to check out at noon instead of the 11:00 check out, we were told no. I had to beg for an 11:30 check out. Also our fireplace didn't work and the outside jacuzzi didn't have bubbles. I think we will try another place next time. Too bad, it is a very nice place.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family