“Nice hotel, once they got it right.”

Mariposa Inn and Suites
Ranked #32 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Stockton, CA
“Nice hotel, once they got it right.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2010

First of all, we went to this hotel for Valentine's Day weekend so you are hoping that everything is going to be PERFECT. We go into the room, turn on the light. No light. Alright, no big deal, go and turn on the light in the bathroom and spouse finds a pubic hair on the toilet seat. I try to close the blinds (as this room is on a busy street) - blinds are broken. At this point I call the front desk with my complaints, just to let them know I'm not exactly happy, but I can live with it. About 10 minutes later we try to turn the TV on - not working. We get power, but its one channel that is only static. Call the front desk - not happy at all and need a new room for tomorrow night or a major discount or both. She calls back 10 minutes later - we have a new room for tomorrow and they even upgraded us (uh I'd hope so!).
Next day, new room - its awesome. Everything works...big shower....small shared balconey. Still doesn't make up for the one bad night in my mind though. And all I get at check out is a 20% off for next time. Considering the beds were extremely uncomfortable and we had such a bad experience the night before, not sure if we will go back.
We started in the small king room - I'd recommend starting in the larger king room (where we ended up). The coffee was good and parking is free. Ask for a room away from the busy street.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tyopp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2010

We stayed at the Mariposa Inn for four days/three nights just after Christmas (2009). This is a delightful place - feels much like an Inn - and has spotless, clean rooms with exceptionally sleek decor. Our room had this great, huge chaise where I could relax, read and practice guitar. This place also has very accessible outlets for computers/phones - excellent when one needs to recharge each night - as well as Free W-Fi service with a strong signal. The bedding was luxurious - great, cozy down pillows and high threadcount sheets. The breakfast is fine - all-you-can drink juices, coffees and yoghurts - and very tasty chocolate croissants. Perhaps they could consider adding some hot eggs and bacon/sausage , but considering the incredible value of this place, it's amazing they include breakfast! The Miraposa has a great location - you are just 10 minutes from the beaches of Carmel and 20 minutes from Big Sur, and also very close to must-sees like Castroville (go to the Giant Artichoke!) and Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey (also 10 minutes away).

1 Thank cyberj2
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2010

Guest relations was excellent! Room was great the only thing that would make this place better is a full breakfast. The "NEW" roomlinks was a huge winner. We left the laptop at home and used roomlinks. The movie selection was great!!! Will stay again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Mariposa, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2010

I stayed here twice. The first was off season, and the rate was a bit over $100 for a king with a fireplace. Only stayed for one night. Got the magic upgrade to a townhouse, which of course made the stay spectacular. The second stay was for two nights around Christmas, didn't get upgraded. Price closer to $150/night. Still pretty happy.

The good: It's difficult to find anything in Monterey between absolute budget (which isn't that budget like) and ridiculously expensive. This place comes close. The rooms are spacious, have flat screen tv's, and dvd players. Clock radio has an ipod dock too. The furniture is pretty new, and very clean/modern looking. Carpets are clean, bathrooms are pretty spotless. The last room I was in had a little bit of wear and tear on part of the bathroom drain, but no big deal. The hot tub is actually hot, and very clean. The pool is nicely heated as well. There are pool towels available on the deck. Wifi is free and works very well (at the pool too).

The ok: It's a 10 minute drive from the Monterey Bay Aquarium/ wharf area. It's right across the street from a major shopping center (PF changs, Islands, CPK). This can be good or bad depending on your outlook on life. The service is perfectly adequate, though I wouldn't say overly friendly. I had the exact experience mentioned by another review in terms of confirming a reservation over the phone; curt service,almost as if I was bothering the person. But at the hotel itself desk service is sufficiently friendly. Continental breakfast consists of pastries, yogurt, oatmeal, coffee, juice. In this sense, it's pretty much the same as a budget hotel (but the lobby is nicer and homier).

I LOVED the upgrade, and honestly that's probably what brought me back the second time (the ploy worked). The townhouse was two levels, with a common area on the bottom floor. The common had a sofa, flat screen tv, shower/bathroom,fireplace, and fold down bed from the wall. Upstairs was a queen bed, full bath, flat screen tv, clock radio w/ipod dock. There was definitely less traffic noise in the townhouse vs. the king w/fireplace. Had a bit of noise from the hallway noticeable when staying in the king w/fireplace. But do be fair, it was a group of screaming children. Didn't notice any other noise from running water, or upstairs neighbors....not sure if it was just because of positioning or not. Other people have mentioned problems with getting hot water. On both stays, I had no trouble with that, morning or night. My partner likes to take hot baths, and had plenty of hot water as well.

If I'm looking for a bit more comfortable hotel room without completely blowing the budget, I'll be back.

1 Thank marmot1995
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2009

We chose to stay at this hotel because of the great reviews on Trip Advisor. Overall, the facility is a nice motel with upgrades that are above average; ie. some rooms have fireplaces, updated furnishings, and patios. There are several drawbacks, however. The basic king room with fireplace is not large (actually a little on the small side). Also, all of the king rooms with fireplaces are along the busy road of Soledad or Munras--consequently there is a lot of traffic noise. Although our room had a patio, it was right on a busy road and thus not enjoyable to use due to traffic passing by. When we checked in, I inquired about a room facing the pool, but was advised that those rooms were "executive suites" and that the rate was nearly double what we paid for our king with fireplace. Thus, there was no offer to move us to a quieter room despite my disappointment with having a room right on a busy main road. In fact, had we known that the room would face a busy road, we would have stayed at another hotel.

The continental breakfast is okay. There are fresh danishes, juices, bagels, toast, cereals and yogurt. Nothing really out of the ordinary, but certainly better than other hotel chains. I do not think it constitutes a "deluxe" breakfast as advertised by the hotel.

Some pluses; free parking and wi-fi. Only one mile from downtown Monterey and easy access to freeway.

Overall, it is a nice updated motel. The cleaning staff were very nice and did a great job keeping the room clean. Given competitive rates at other hotels, I would consider Casa Munras, or the Portola Plaza hotel.

1 Thank Steve Y
Phoenix, AZ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2009

We stayed at the Mariposa for four nights in mid-November. Due to a few events the weekend we were in Monterey (a Marathon & a Wine Escape), there were no discounts at the Mariposa. We chose the hotel based on reviews and although our stay was adequate, I would hesitate to return. The property is nicely kept and our room, a king with a small sitting room, was well appointed. The fireplace was a nice touch on chilly evenings. I agree with an earlier post regarding hot water ... our water both in the sink and shower was warm at best. Only on our last day did we actually take a "hot" shower. Breakfast was very basic: danish, yogurt, bagels or toast and cereal. The coffee was excellent and probably the highlight of the hotel.

One souring note from our stay pertains to a promotion the hotel published on their website, discount of 20% off room rate in November if guests bring toys for the local toy drive. Upon check in, we produced the toys we purchased for such. Daniel then informed us that the discount would be for all nights. I questioned his statement as the website states Saturday nights are excluded, but he insisted EVERY night would be 20% off. He even corrected our check in sheet to reflect the price change. Since we were paying rack rates (booked directly through the hotel), I was pleased and thanked him. Well, at check out, we were told the discount only applied to ONE night of our four night stay and Daniel had made a mistake. So sorry. Hmmmm, not very good business practice. Besides, the promotion did not state it applied to only one night ... look for yourself as it's still on the website.

Having visited the Monterey/Carmel area several times, I know there are better options than the Mariposa. I am a half full kind of person, so overall we had a wonderful weekend, but it was not due to our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2009

When my wife and I stay in Monterey we usually stay at the Portola Hotel due to it's location on the wharf. We love the Portola but it is usually around $150 - $200/night unless you get a special. Plus you have to pay for parking. Overall I feel you get what you pay for with the gym, location, clean spacious rooms, spa and excellent service.

The Mariposa is equal to the Portola ... as far as rooms go. They did an excellent job with the renovations and enjoyed the spacious rooms with a flat panel tv and free internet. What you don't get is an on-site spa, valet parking, gym nor the location. You do get basic toiletries but they aren't as nice as what the Portola provides. However, you are paying much less per night than at the Portola, plus the parking is free. The one thing the Mariposa has over the Portola is breakfast. They provide you with pastries, oatmeal, juices and cereal as part of the nightly charge. Excellent value for the money!

I mention the location isn't as convenient as the Portola. However, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you don't plan on spending a lot of time near or around the wharf then the Mariposa is centrally located to Carmel, Cannery Row and the Wharf. None if it is more than a 10 minute drive. My wife and I do enjoy spending time in and around the wharf so I don't think I'd be satisfied staying here every time we go to Monterey.

The facility is fairly basic, which is fine if you don't take advantage of a spa or a gym. You will also have to drive somewhere if you want to get something to eat or have some drinks.

The service at the Portola is much better than the Mariposa. It's not that service was bad but the folks at the Portola usually have a smile on their face and it feels like they want to go out of their way to make you happy.

The Mariposa is an excellent value if you are looking for a basic place to stay in Monterey. The highlight of the hotel are the renovated grounds and rooms.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family