“Great Location, Stairs hard to maneuver” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row

Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row
Ranked #8 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
Albany, New York
“Great Location, Stairs hard to maneuver”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This hotel has a great location; although it is not ocean-front, we had a partial ocean view from our third floor room. But to get to our room was a bit of a pain. We took the elevator to the third floor, but then had to go up and down two sets of six (I believe) steps since the third floor is actually built on different levels.
It was hard with the amount of luggage we had, and especially arriving later in the evening when we were already tired.

The hotel exterior is showing its age, but there was a lovely enclosed courtyard /patio area where we could relax outside (not ocean view). Our room was beautiful and clean.

Room Tip: Although our third floor room had a partial ocean view, if you are traveling with a lot of luggage...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank wearytraveler080212
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
I'm glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at our property. I'm sorry that you experienced difficulty with our stairs. Next time you're at our property, please let us know if you require any assistance with your luggage and we will be happy to assist you.

It's true that despite not being located on the water, some of our partial ocean views really are lovely! I'm also glad you also noticed the exterior of our property -- our hotel has been designed to match the architectural style of the surrounding Cannery Row, making our property look atypical of other Holiday Inn Expresses, but maintaining the feel of a classic Central Coast building! Thank you for taking the time to review our property, and I hope we get to have you with us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

This is my favorite Holiday Inn Express to date. I love how it has the look and feel of the surroundings on Cannery Row. The staff is very attentive and friendly and our room was facing the courtyard was very spacious, clean and comfortable. Of all the places my family has stayed at this is at the top on my list.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I'm so happy that we're your favorite Holiday Inn Express, and that we're at the top of your list for places to stay with your family! Also, it's great to read that you enjoyed your room and our staff -- and I was just now talking to someone about our hotel's exterior and its stylish yet historical appearance -- thanks for noticing! Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for your great compliments. We look forward to seeing you and your family again the next time you're in the area!
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

The location makes this hotel. It's just behind the Main Street of cannery row. Which means it's easy to get into the busy area but the hotel is nice and quiet. The free shuttle bus stops just down the road and it's good to get it down to the piers and then it's a nice walk back. Free breakfast was exactly the same as all holiday inn express's and is good although breakfast area is quite small. Room was spacious, clean and very comfortable with fridge and coffee making facilities. Our room door opened onto a small courtyard. Free underground parking is another major plus for this hotel. Easy to find, just follow signs for cannery row

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
JasonSantaCruz, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Monterey - Cannery Row, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Our location really is quite amazing -- we all feel so lucky to be just off of Cannery Row and so nearby the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The shuttle is an amazing gift from the city of Monterey to visitors, especially to those less mobile. I'm glad that you enjoyed our amenities, property, and parking. Thanks for this great review, and I hope we can see you again soon!
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Everything surprised us. The staff is very helpful, the room is extremely spacious and clean, the location is great and the price is very reasonable! Everything you need is in walking distance and the parking is free so you don't need to worry about the safety of your stuff.

Stayed May 2014
What a great review! Thanks for taking the time to share your comments about your stay. I'm happy that you enjoyed our property, and that you found our location and parking to your liking. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the area!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

From check in to check out, this hotel has an A++ score!!! This weekend was at least my 10th time staying here in the last couple years. It's my "go-to" hotel when planning a trip to Monterey. I always try to book the King room with sofa. My gosh...the bed is so comfortable and the room is very large with a full size sofa that becomes a bed. We never need it for that but it's great to have a comfy couch to sit on when watching TV. The TV is a 42" flat screen with DirecTV. Lots of channels and HBO. The room is so clean!!! There's a fridge and a safe and a pretty large closet area along with many drawers for storage. The staff is SO FRIENDLY!! You also get free continental breakfast and a wine and cheese reception every afternoon at 5:30. I've traveled the world and can honestly say that this is the most comfortable place I stay! Great job!!!

• Stayed June 2014
      Location
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 stars
Wow! What a glowing review! It means a lot that you took the time to share such great comments. I'm very impressed that throughout your travels we're the most comfortable hotel you've found. Staying with us at least 10 times is very impressive, as well -- we really do appreciate your choosing us again and again for your visits to the area. I hope that we get to see you again soon, and that we continue to see you for years to come!
Redlands, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Whenever possible I stay at an HIE and this one of the best. I really liked the updated decor of my room. The exterior is pretty and in keeping with the location. My friend commented when we drove up that she didn't recognize it as an HIE. The staff is friendly and helpful. The location could not be more convenient. The only flaw is that you have to go up a few steps (with luggage) to get to the elevator from your room.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
I'm so happy you enjoyed your recent stay with us! Thanks for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor! I hope that we have the opportunity to have you with us again soon!
Huntington Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Warmly greeted by the host and check in was a breeze. Room was clean and good sized. Our room had partial bay view. Bed was quite comfortable, not too soft or firm. Room has small refrigerator, coffee maker, sofa, desk and Wi-Fi. Breakfast was good and a nice variety, but some items suffered from being kept warm. Hotel is located within walking distance to Aquarium and Fisherman's Wharf.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thanks for the great review! I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our staff, your room, and our amenities worked so well for you. I'm happy that you were able to make use of our excellent location nearby Cannery Row and the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and I hope that we have the opportunity to have you with us again soon!